Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Man Pills

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm reading Thames by Peter Ackroyd. A very entertaining and informative historical account of the mighty river by the author of London: A Biography. Interestingly enough the subtitle was removed for sale in the US; the British subtitle is "Sacred River."
    Have you ever read his biography of William Blake? It's good, a bit sensational. But an engaging read.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Have you ever read his biography of William Blake? It's good, a bit sensational. But an engaging read.
    I have his book Albion (which touches on Blake a bit) but I've never read it. It looks pretty on the coffee table.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No, but I will have to do so. Blake is one of my favorite artists, so pairing him with one of my favorite authors seems like a win/win. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Seems good so far, although I wish I spoke Spanish.
    I'm also reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I'm about 200 pages in so far, and it is pretty amazing. Very moving and tragic, but also funny.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I just picked up a book at the downtown library: The Corporal Was a Pitcher, The Courage of Lou Brissie, by Ira Berkow formerly of the NY Times. It's the story of Lou Brissie who was seriously injured during WWII in Italy. He had been a good pitching prospect. The doctors wanted to amputate his legs due to the injuries and he convinced them not to. He came back to pitch for the A's and the Indians over seven seasons. In 1947, he went 23-5 for the Class A Savannah club in the Sally League. Good read so far and fascinating subject. He made the 1949 All Star team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...risslo01.shtml
    Last edited by redsmetz; 07-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I just picked up a book at the downtown library: The Corporal Was a Pitcher, The Courage of Lou Brissie, by Ira Berkow formerly of the NY Times. It's the story of Lou Brissie who was seriously injured during WWII in Italy. He had been a good pitching prospect. The doctors wanted to amputate his legs due to the injuries and he convinced them not to. He came back to pitch for the A's and the Indians over seven seasons. In 1947, he went 23-5 for the Class A Savannah club in the Sally League. Good read so far and fascinating subject. He made the 1949 All Star team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...risslo01.shtml
    Thanks for that recommendation. I've put it on my list for books to checkout through our library system here in Loudoun County Virginia.

I am currently reading "Oh My!" Dick Enberg's autobiography. So far its been a really good read. Its brought back a lot of memories of college basketball games he did in the 70's and 80's for NBC. I find it amazing how most of these sportscasters just kind of stumbled into their professions. Enberg for instance, got his start in radio by applying for a janitors job at Central Michigan. The station manager noticed he had good voice and asked him if he would be interested in a weekend DJ position that was open. He said sure and things just took off from that point.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For the MMA fans out there I recommend Got Fight by Forrest Griffin. Not exactly high brow stuff but very entertaining and I polished it off in under an hour. He is a very funny guy and quite opinionated as well. The "secret techniques" section alone is worth the time, especially when he talks about how to fend off a dog attack by using a rear naked choke.

Currently re-reading Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher. I discovered this author last year and love his novels. The Dresden Files and Codex Alera series' are terrific.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Read "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlen over the course of two plane rides (+ airport wait time) this weekend on the reccomendation of a couple friends who had to read it in college.

Fascinating book that bears only a passing resemblence to the movie of the same name.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Awesome book.. almost as good as Owen Meany, Irving is one of my faves of all time.
    Finally got to A Prayer for Owen Meany. I'm a little over halfway through it and I'm really enjoying it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Read "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlen over the course of two plane rides (+ airport wait time) this weekend on the reccomendation of a couple friends who had to read it in college.

Fascinating book that bears only a passing resemblence to the movie of the same name.
    I was a Heinlein junkie for a while in my late 20's. I think I read just about everything he wrote. You should go back and read his catalogue (from his early gee-whiz SF books to his later more serious efforts). Heinlein took a lot of very interesting moral, ethical, and political stances.

I remember when that movie came out I was severely disappointed. You should make the comparison with the book as the root source, not the other way around.

Pay attention to the open sky

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was a Heinlein junkie for a while in my late 20's. I think I read just about everything he wrote. You should go back and read his catalogue (from his early gee-whiz SF books to his later more serious efforts). Heinlein took a lot of very interesting moral, ethical, and political stances.

I remember when that movie came out I was severely disappointed. You should make the comparison with the book as the root source, not the other way around.
    The discussions on civic responsibility and politics were far more interesting to me than anything else regarding the book. While I didn't necessarily agree with the views expressed by the characters in the story, I thought it was a fascinating way to look at the inherent problems with giving people a voice in government/society with no expectations or responsibilities put back upon them. I found the social commentary to be particularly relevant in light of today's political environment.

As far as the movie goes, I enjoyed Starship Troopers as a schlock, over-the-top, 90s action/sci-fi piece. Having read the book, though, I'd love to see the movie re-done to be more faithful to the written work -- with a maybe a "Full Metal Jacket" lean to it.

Loved the book. I'm definitely going to check out more of his stuff.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

My book.
    I want to read In Cold Blood....actually been meaning for some time now.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Love it. Absolutely hilarious. Dead-on Victorian voice.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Just finished Scouts Honor by Bill Shanks. Guess what? The "Braves Way" and the "Moneyball Way" churned out about the same amount of talent. Moral of the story--you better be doing it all sorts of ways if you want to be successful.

This is not a shock to most Zoners.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?