Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just finished reading "The Indifferent Stars Above". This a very interesting read about the plight of the Donner Party. It seemed to be very well researched although it could be disturbing for some readers. In case you don't know about this,the Donner Party was a group of people that migrated west in 1848. They left late in the year and got stranded in the Sierra Nevada mountains when unusually heavy snow started falling earlier than normal. They ran of rations and some resorted to canalbalism. The writer pulled no punches on the details of this either.
    Where they got holed up is an absolute nightmare place to get stuck in during the winter, bunch of greenhorns they were.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Movie is AWESOME, Robert Blake gives the performance of his life.
    I agree that Blake gave a compelling performance--I probably would have felt differently had I not read the book.

My main issue is that Capote did such a masterful job developing the depth of the characters (both murderers and victims) in the book. Even with the ample movie length, it just felt rushed on screen.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I agree that Blake gave a compelling performance--I probably would have felt differently had I not read the book.

My main issue is that Capote did such a masterful job developing the depth of the characters (both murderers and victims) in the book. Even with the ample movie length, it just felt rushed on screen.
    Agreed, the book was a work of art, it created a new genre, it was a pradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Harper Lee based the character of Dill on her childhood friend, Truman Capote, who also wrote In Cold Blood. Lee helped her friend with research, and, some insist, at least revised the book so that it read better.
    Yep, pretty interesting stuff. 2 books that couldn't be any different but the authors were lifelong friends.

I was helping Lizzy with her summer reading paper over the weekend. She read "Grapes of Wrath" and "The Road" which sets up some interesting parallels. I'd read both in the past couple years.

Also read "The Shack" after having it recommended by church friends. I thought it was thought-provoking and a worthy read. Not the greatest piece of literature ever nor life changing (for me at least), but a good spiritual read.

A good dog book, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. A dog/car racing book with a dog named Enzo.

Junk book time.... the new Dale Brown book "Rogue Forces" is pretty good. A step above formulaic, its like he actually thought a little bit when writing it.

Pay attention to the open sky

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Same Kind Of Different As Me
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

And The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out) by Paul Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I just picked up a book at the downtown library: The Corporal Was a Pitcher, The Courage of Lou Brissie, by Ira Berkow formerly of the NY Times. It's the story of Lou Brissie who was seriously injured during WWII in Italy. He had been a good pitching prospect. The doctors wanted to amputate his legs due to the injuries and he convinced them not to. He came back to pitch for the A's and the Indians over seven seasons. In 1947, he went 23-5 for the Class A Savannah club in the Sally League. Good read so far and fascinating subject. He made the 1949 All Star team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...risslo01.shtml
    Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. This was a great read and highly recommeded. It's just amazing all the adversity he overcame and what he endured to come back to pitch. Not to mention just to live a good day to day life. I thought it was terrible the way his MLB career ended. Hank Greenburg must have been just real butt to deal with as a GM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

What in the world is that book?? I see it every single time I go to Amazon.com.

Started and finished "I Call the Shots" yesterday. 260 pages of Johnny Miller blabbing about non-sense, pretty much.

In the process of reading "Titan" (Ron Chernow). John Rockefeller is one bad mf'er. That book is seriously long, so I had to take a break about halfway thru.

And now I've started "A Civil War" (Feinstein).

Continuing with my recent John Irving kick, I'm about halfway through World According to Garp.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Finishing up "Campaigning For Grant" by Horace Porter and "Dixieland Delight: A Football Season on the Road in the Southeastern Conference" by Clay Travis. Just started, "Fast Copy: A Novel" by Dan Jenkins.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Continuing with my recent John Irving kick, I'm about halfway through World According to Garp.
    He's probably my favorite contemporay writer by far, however as he gets older he's been less and less fun... is last novel was a chore and not one character was worth the time it took for me to slog through it.

Quote Originally Posted by PTI (pti) View Post
    What in the world is that book?? I see it every single time I go to Amazon.com.

Started and finished "I Call the Shots" yesterday. 260 pages of Johnny Miller blabbing about non-sense, pretty much.

In the process of reading "Titan" (Ron Chernow). John Rockefeller is one bad mf'er. That book is seriously long, so I had to take a break about halfway thru.

And now I've started "A Civil War" (Feinstein).
    It's a book about the tribulations of a man named Denny from the POV of his dog, Enzo. Very good book.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Anyone buy The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown? I ordered it but have yet to start reading it.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

I am reading "From Rock to Jock". It's the autobiography of Johnny Holliday who is now the Maryland football and basketball PBP announcer. He started out pretty much on the ground floor of Rock Music in the 50's. He was a highly acclaimed DJ in Cleveland,NYC and San Francisco in the 50's and 60's. He interviewed almost all the top acts of that time including the Beattles. He moved to the DC area in the late 60's and has been here since. He's been the PBP voice of the Maryland Terrapins for over 30 years and also does the pre and post game shows with Ray Knight for the Washington Nationals.

I just received my copy of "The Machine" from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait to start that one!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?