Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Been a while since this has been bumped.

A friend recommended the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I was skeptical, but I wasn't disappointed. It's a great piece of fiction. Brown plays a little too fast and loose with factual history in some spots that somewhat ruined it for me, but it's a good piece of fiction writing, that's for sure. I would recommend it, I plowed thru it fairly quickly.

Just bought a book called "The Disney Wars" about the turmoil going on in the last couple of years at Disney. Usually I don't read Business books like this one but it seems interesting so I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I also got in the mail my copy of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, which is a must for any minor league baseball junkie like myself. Much more info than what's listed on the website about every team's top 30 prospects. The System wide Depth Chart is a great touch.

If you liked the DaVinci Code, you might like Angels and Demons as well. But I liked his first book, Digital Fortress the best. Its interesting, and is about a cryptographer in the NSA. As for myself I am about to start reading Saturday by Ian McEwen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just read...

- The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald - read it with my son for his HS class. I thoroughly enjoyed it and probably got a whole lot more out of it than he did. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

- In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales - David Lubar - read it with my youngest. It was surprisingly good for a kids book.

- Atonement - Ian Mcewan - Awesome book. Can't wait to read Saturday.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Not Laughing

Hopfully nobody has yet to comment on this in this particular thread, but has anybody else read the David Wells book? I know it's a couple years old but I just finished it up and that is a really good read. Some of the stories he tell are hilarious. Not much on his time in Cincinnati but reading his stories involving Kirk Gibson & David Cone are great.

5 out of 5
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I took rdiersin's advice and picked up Angels and Demons. Haven't cracked it open though.

Still in the midst of Disney War. Reads like a soap opera book. Hard to believe that Eisner was someone who was so brilliant at one time then so dumbfounded later in his Disney career. Great King Lear type story though.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. It's about the last guy alive after the world has been taken over by vampires. Pretty good stuff and part of the inspiration for George Romero to make Night of the Living Dead.

I'm currently reading "Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia" by John Dickie. I'm about halfway through and it's a really good book.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm reading "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. The author was a member of R.F. Scott's tragic expedition to the South Pole.

The book is often called "the best adventure book ever written," or something similar. I'm about a third of the way through it, and really enjoying it so far.

Just read "102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn. It's about the 102-minute span between the moment Flight 11 hit the first WTC tower and the moment the second tower collapsed, all from the viewpoint of the people in the tower. A searing and powerful read. I had to stop reading sometimes because it was just too much.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Currently in the middle of too many books. I was almost through "Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell when an Amazon package arrived.

Now I'm into the following, about half-way through each of them:

"The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" by Henry Miller

"The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read" Tim C. Leedom, Editor

"Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Closterman

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates

"The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible" by Ruth Hurmence Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. It's about the last guy alive after the world has been taken over by vampires. Pretty good stuff and part of the inspiration for George Romero to make Night of the Living Dead.
    If you like I Am Legend, do yourself a favor and never ever ever see the movie based upon it - The Omega Man, starring none other than Charlton Heston!

If you like Matheson's stuff, you should give Harlan Ellison a try (if you haven't already).
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Oh yeah, and right now I'm reading Lords of Madness - The Book of Aberrations by Richard Baker.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

The Gulag Archipelago

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    If you like I Am Legend, do yourself a favor and never ever ever see the movie based upon it - The Omega Man, starring none other than Charlton Heston!

If you like Matheson's stuff, you should give Harlan Ellison a try (if you haven't already).
    Thanks Zom, I had heard that The Omega Man was quite horrible, lol. I will have to give Harlan Ellison a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Thanks Zom, I had heard that The Omega Man was quite horrible, lol. I will have to give Harlan Ellison a try.
    Also, rent out the DVD "A Boy and His Dog", based on a novella by Ellison. It's quite good.

Vic and Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Also, rent out the DVD "A Boy and His Dog", based on a novella by Ellison. It's quite good.

Vic and Blood.
    I read the Vic and Blood graphic novel sometime back and I really enjoyed it. Didn't even realize I had stumbled across some Ellison already. Thanks for the tip on the dvd, I'll be sure to check it out.

Turn Off Ads?