Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    I read the Vic and Blood graphic novel sometime back and I really enjoyed it. Didn't even realize I had stumbled across some Ellison already. Thanks for the tip on the dvd, I'll be sure to check it out.
    You bet.

I wish the term "graphic novel" had been coined back in my day. It would have sounded a lot better if I had told my folks I was reading a graphic novel instead of a comic book.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I try to read but I fall asleep. Honestly.
    When does this end? When my kids are in highschool keeping me awake at night because they have driver's licenses? I think my mom made it through the entire western canon when my brothers and I were teenagers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Thanks Zom, I had heard that The Omega Man was quite horrible, lol. I will have to give Harlan Ellison a try.
    Charleton Heston in a gold jump suit. What could be bad about that?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Charleton Heston in a gold jump suit. What could be bad about that?
    There is also a 1964 film called The Last Man on Earth that is based on I Am Legend and it stars Vincent Price as- you guessed it- the last man on earth. As to whether or not it is as bad/worse/better than Omega I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    I really liked it. A little textbook-like at times, but the theories and explanations in the book make a whole lot of sense, and were mostly new to me.

Makes me want to read his new book, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.
    I'm currently reading that one. So far I like it, although some parts are a little redundant(which is sort of the point I suppose). I definitely know more about soil erosion than I ever thought I would.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Fubar:A novel of deception By Ron Carpol This is one of the funniest, raunchiest books I have ever read. Pick it up!
    Baseball is life

Im reading "Juiced" we wall know what that is. I have to do a book report on it, but the book is really pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Just finished up "Secret Life of Lobsters" by Trevor Corson on a recent weekend trip.

I took several books with me, figuring I would be flipping back and forth, but I couldn't put it down, to be honest.

The book intersects the life of lobsters, lobster fisherman and the scientists who study lobsters, all in a tight area known as the Gulf of Maine over a 10-15 year period. As you can imagine, those interests go in conflicting directions.

I found it light, funny (sometimes laugh out loud funny at lobster behavior) with just enough science in it to quench that bug but not too much to make it overwhleming. There is a huge section on Lobster mating and housing that was fascinating as well as just bizarre.

That book turned me onto another book, "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky, because cod, and the lack of them in the gulf of maine, is discussed at length in the Corson book.

I've read another Kurlansky book, "Salt", and this is very similiar.

Kurlansky has an interesting proposition in the book, that the pursuit of cod by the portuguese, the Nordic and the Basque people, would have meant that they discovered the Labrador coast off of Canada long before Christopher Columbus set sail.

I'm not a big fisherman, but Cod was another page turner, a short book.

Oddly enough, or perhaps, ironicly, I was in a bookstore here in town and I had the chance to meet Clive Cussler, who's a famous fiction writer about shipwrecked boats. Talking with him, even though I'm not a fiction reader, I picked up the first of his new "Numa" series of books, "Serpent" and I'm reading it now. Different than non-fiction, that's for sure. Characters strike me as a little too perfect, model-esq and blemish free for my taste, but the story line is solid.

They call me "chef"

Screenwriters Workbook by Syd Field

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Been a while since this has been bumped.

A friend recommended the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I was skeptical, but I wasn't disappointed. It's a great piece of fiction. Brown plays a little too fast and loose with factual history in some spots that somewhat ruined it for me, but it's a good piece of fiction writing, that's for sure. I would recommend it, I plowed thru it fairly quickly.
    I think I'm in the minority on this, but I found it to be one of the worst written bestsellers I've ever read in my life. Great story, and I'm sure the movie will be compelling, but found the writing to be embarrasingly clumbsy and square. Dan Brown went to my high school.
    Stick to your guns.

"Around the Bloc" about an american who spends a few years living in ex communist bloc countries. pretty interesting so far.

Baseball Uncensored-Johnathan Story
    Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups
    Sea of Swords-RA Salvatore
    and as always, The Bible
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe
    School's out. What did you expect?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers -Rob Neyer,Bill James

and

Contents Under Pressure
    30 Years of RUSH at Home and Away -Martin Popoff
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe
    Liked it.

Anybody read "I am Charlotte Simmons?" Thinking about getting it on tape for a 15 hour drive.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?