Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Just started reading "1776" by David McCullough.

Just finished Jerry Crasnick's "License to Deal" and before that was Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying of Lot 49," which I am most certainly going to have to read again to better understand what was going on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danny Graves is my Homey

I have fallen in love with Mclaren's books. They are a christian fiction trilogy basically trying to explain postmodernity through a story. It is a great approach to such a difficult subject.

A New Kind of Christian
    The Story We find ourselves in
    The last word and the word after that

I just pounded the 2nd book in 3 days and am very much looking forward to the 3rd. I cant say enough about them. I read the 1st one 3x.

Go Get em.

Tom

I'm reading "Beachhead Don". It's a collection of AP news reports and features that were written by Don Whitehead. He was a Pulitizer prize winning writer during the Korean War but got his start writing for AP during WWII. He went ashore with the US Troops in Italy and D-Day. Also credited with first story from a liberated Paris. Lot of interesting stories that wouldn't make the regular history of WWII. Highly recommend for anyone who likes reading about WWII.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Just started reading "1776" by David McCullough.

Just finished Jerry Crasnick's "License to Deal" and before that was Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying of Lot 49," which I am most certainly going to have to read again to better understand what was going on.
    I bought 1776 right after it came out, but I have to (strangely) be in the mood to read it and that just hasn't struck me yet. I love McCullough though.

Let me know how you like it Stewie.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I think I'm in the minority on this, but I found it to be one of the worst written bestsellers I've ever read in my life. Great story, and I'm sure the movie will be compelling, but found the writing to be embarrasingly clumbsy and square. Dan Brown went to my high school.
    I think clumsy and sloppy are good ways to describe it. I did love the concept of the story, and that kept me reading, but the execution of it was sloppy, no doubt.

Back to what I've read, I just finished Scout's Honor, and posted my review of it over on the "Scouts Honor" thread.

I bought a book this weekend on homebrewing your own beer, actually the "Homebrewing for the Complete Idiot" so that's what I'll be polishing off this weekend. That's my latest kick.

I also want to start "The Historian" in the next few days. I bought it, and have heard glowing and not so glowing reviews of it, so I have to check it out for myself.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

My best friend and I got into brewing our own beer about 10 years ago. We had a blast. Nothing like kicking back on the front porch listening to a game whilst pounding a few of your own creations. And pay no mind to that dust at the bottom of the bottle,it's good for you,drink it down!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I am reading a few books right now...sounds kind of snobby but Ilove to read...which is why I am always here.

So, what am I reading? Here goes.

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller...good book, though I just started reading it...it talks about the culture of the church...its flaws and where the church can go from here to remain relevant.

Network Marketing for Dummies by Zig Ziglar...It goes through the A-Z glories and pitfalls od network marketing.

My wife and I recently signed up for our first experience with a company and I have to say to this point I enjoy it more than I thought I would but it is tougher than I thought it would be. Check out our website at http://www.ecolifeohio.com (sorry for the shameless plug)

Finally I am reading the Bible...I have to admit this is a tough one for me...It used to not be but lately it is like pulling teeth to be able to set time aside to read...nonetheless...I am trying.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I just finished "The Emperor's Children" by Claire Messud.
    Well-written, very good dialogue, although the many of the characters were satires, especially Marina. The definitive depiction of the entitlement mentality of a group of "creative", well-educated young adult New Yorkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I just finished "The Emperor's Children" by Claire Messud.
    Well-written, very good dialogue, although the many of the characters were satires, especially Marina. The definitive depiction of the entitlement mentality of "creative", well-educated young adult New Yorkers.
    I loved this book to pieces. Not in the oh I'm supposed to love it kind of way, but I really cried kind of way.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The Killing Zone - How and Why Pilots Die
    Think Like Your Customer - Bill Stinnett
    The Longest Jounrey (Fredericksburg to Chancellorsville)- Shelby Foote - I just started this one.

I finished "The Conspiricy Reader" by Al HIdell and Joan D'Arc of Paranoia Magazine a month or so ago. Wacky, wild stuff there.

July, July - by Tim O'Brien . I like it so far. Lots of characters to keep up with though.

I also just finished the new Chuck Klosterman book which was pretty funny.
    School's out. What did you expect?

After having to put it down for a long while because I just didn't have time, I've again started reading Joseph Ellis' His Excellency. It's not a long book, I just found myself unable to read anything that didn't have to do with school when I started grad classes.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The Iceman--Confessions of a mafia contract killer, Phil Carlo

Richard Kuklinski's story. You might have seen the documentaries on HBO.

According to him he was in on the Hoffa and Paul Castellano hits. I find some of it a bit far fetched, since most serial killer types are a bit narcissistic, but the dude knows/knew where a lot of dead bodies are located.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

La Dolce Vita

Just finished George Eliot's Middlemarch. Memorable characters, most intelligent writing. I love it.

Now reading Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's and A Christmas Memory (which I always read this time of year).
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?