Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: John Kerry and his dead horse

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

John Kerry and his dead horse

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?i...C-RSSFeeds0312
    Sad thing is, Kerry, if he really truly had a passion and desire for change on this issue, could be the focal point for a badly needed social reform on the voting front.

America needs voter reform, as the last two elections (Washington/Florida) have shown.

Kerry could take the ball, and his next term in Congress and make a lasting impression and push for change. But instead he'll continue to wrap up the idea with his attacks on President Bush and Iraq, meaning it will never be taken seriously in Congress, coming from his mouth.

I know such an issue could get bi-partisan support. But keep throwing those campaign commerical attacks in there and you ensure that nothing will happen out ot spite. And the country will suffer.

Just shows what his true feelings on the issue are. IMO.

Kerry Criticizes Election Outcome

Kerry Criticizes Election Outcome, Alleges Voter Disenfranchisement at MLK Breakfast

BOSTON Jan 17, 2005 — Sen. John Kerry, in some of his most pointed public comments yet about the presidential election, invoked Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy on Monday as he criticized President Bush and decried reports of voter disenfranchisement.

The Massachusetts Democrat, Bush's challenger in November, spoke at Boston's annual Martin Luther King Day Breakfast. He reiterated that he decided not to challenge the election results, but "thousands of people were suppressed in the effort to vote."

"Voting machines were distributed in uneven ways. In Democratic districts, it took people four, five, eleven hours to vote, while Republicans (went) through in 10 minutes same voting machines, same process, our America," he said.

In his comments, Kerry also compared the democracy-building efforts in Iraq with voting in the U.S., saying that Americans had their names purged from voting lists and were kept from casting ballots.

"In a nation which is willing to spend several hundred million dollars in Iraq to bring them democracy, we cannot tolerate that too many people here in America were denied that democracy," Kerry said.

Voting irregularities in Ohio drove primarily Democratic challenges to the Nov. 2 election, but Congress eventually affirmed President Bush the winner by a slim electoral vote count of 286-251 plus a single vote cast by a Minnesota elector for Kerry's running mate, former Sen. John Edwards.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Kerry and his dead horse

I think you are in denial.

America needs voter reform, as the last two elections (Washington/Florida) have shown.
    Washington? How about Ohio? You don't think everything went peachy keen there? do you?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I think you are in denial.
    Make sure you read the whole sentence you quoted.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Partisan pandering to lay groundwork for a run in 2008.

Telling an audience what it wants to hear is an accepted (and effective) practice for candidates seeking votes or money. Kerry maintains all the outward appearance of a candidate. It is an unusually quick turnaround to start the next campaign, though.
    /r/reds

And of course it is only Dems who get disenfranchised.

In Ohio, in heavily Repub districts (Hamilton Co for example), alot of people also waited hours to vote. How do you explain that? It happened all over this country and in both both Repub and Dem districts.

Personally, I don't think alot of states, voting districts, were properly prepared for such a large voter turn-out during this election. It's had more to do with limited finances, and the bureaucracy of the federal government and state legislatures trying to set forth/implement changes to improve the system, and some of the regulations they passed (that are not uniform among all the states) that caused some of the problems.

Do improvements need to be made? Yes. But voters are "disenfranchised" in every election for various and legitimate reasons. And I'd say a vast majority of the time it's due to their own fault, not some Republican conspiracy.

But it's so much easier though for guys like Jesse and Johnny to throw out generalized and ubsubstantiated charges. They had a recount here in Ohio. It was a bi-partisan effort that went through every voter district. And guess what? Both the Democratic and Republican representatives involved in coordinating and monitoring that recount, not someone standing on the "outside" like Jesse screaming "FIRE!", stated that all went very well. And Kerry still lost by somewhere around 114,000 votes.

Dems need to quit whining and get over it. It's nothing but sour grapes, and doesn't project well on Kerry and the Democratic Party.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The recount in Ohio was a sham. If you believe letting the manufacture of the machine tamper with them to get the right "recount" than I really don't have any more to say.

The recount in Ohio was a sham. If you believe letting the manufacture of the machine tamper with them to get the right "recount" than I really don't have any more to say.
    I doubt you'll not have any more to say.

You ever try listening to yourself? It's simply laughable.

You live in Ohio RBA?

More unfounded and ridiculous accusations by the left.

Just throw something out there and see if it sticks.

Give solid evidence it was a sham when even the Dems involved in the recount/verification process approved of the final tally and the procedure used?

You can't.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-17-2005 at 09:19 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The lines are only one issue, and not the main one IMO.

The bigger issue to me is the security and procedures regarding the electronic voting machines. I'm not saying that the vote total was altered, but it very clear that the security of the machines/system is poor and the laws regarding the handling of them post election were not adhered to by local officials in numerous voting districts. While I don't believe there is proof of fraud, there is certainly vast evidence of negligence, intentional or otherwise, and it is important that the proper reforms be made and that the laws are followed in future elections.
    School's out. What did you expect?

This debate is exactly why Kerry cannot be the one to lead the charge for election reform.

I noticed you don't live in Florida, but that didn't stop you from becoming an "expert" on the vote there in 2000.

I am a GOP voter who moved something like 4 months before the election. I attempted to register twice in my new state, and both time was denied due to clerical reasons. Had to call my old state and tell them I moved. Then was able to register in my new state. Oh yeah, my new state has a Dem governor. It's obviously his fault, and it's obviously a conspiracy. Please, we can't move on from 2004, cause many can't move on from 2000. Keep trying fellas.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Oh now that is just beautiful. Evidence, please. I know this is a message board, but cmon and please give us something credible, besides just whatever makes you feel better about your position.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

As you point out KYRedsFan, there are problems with voting and getting to vote in this country and sweeping them under the rug is not going to fix anything.

I'm glad you were able to rectify your problem with registering to vote, others weren't so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Oh now that is just beautiful. Evidence, please. I know this is a message board, but cmon and please give us something credible, besides just whatever makes you feel better about your position.
    Evidence? You say. You can't tell me this is the first time you ever heard of this?

I didn't start this topic, obviously it's the same old pick every little quote from a Democrat and bash the hell of it and see if I can piss off the liberals on this board type of post.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Here's a link to the congressional report
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?