Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attack / War against Iran next?

Glenn Braggs

Re: Attack / War against Iran next?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think it would be a mistake b/c Iran is the country in the middle east most likely to become a meaningiful democracy IMO. They have a relatively educated populace, and they are far enough down the road of theocratic government that many of the young people appear to be ready for something else.
    If you consider the history of Iran, it's kind of ironic why and how the current regime got into command. In 1953, the CIA plotted with Iranian Army Officers to overthrow the popularly elected government that had taken possession of the rich oil resources long exploited by Britain. Fearing a precedent that might jeopardise Western oil interests in the Middle East, the CIA secretly returned the deposed Shah of Iran to power and restored the oil wells to British firms. As a result, the United States gained a loyal ally on the Soviet border. This finally led the Iranian citicens in 1979 to support the islamic revolution which promised them more personal freedom and more independence from western influences and dictations.

During the 80's, the US strongly supported Saddam Hussein who initiated the Persian Gulf war. In 1987 the US even took part in combat actions and destroyed large parts of the Iranian navy to support (military weaker) Hussein, who was a good friend who handled in the interest of the US back then. He just wasn't able to get the job done and evidently searched for an easier enemy (Kuwait) with equally rich oil resources to defeat. Just imagine Hussein thinking what he actually did wrong ... fighting against Iran he was supported by the US, attacking Kuwait he suddenly becomes the scapegoat.

Bush got Hussein removed, but achieved little else up-to-date in Iraq. I have doubts that he will achieve anything in Iran as well. As Iran is not even an indirect threat to the US, military action against a sovereign country are not justified, in my opinion.

I don't say this to pump up the blood of some patriotic posters here, but I think some of you lack the ability to critically question the motives of your government. It has also supported dictators in the past, as long as it served US interests. If humanitarian help is the main goal of politics, why are no troops in Sudan, North Korea, or a dozen African countries where millions of people suffer from hunger and dictators?

2. Turn Off Ads?

RFA, for someone with such great "morals" you sure aren't very polite.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Last week, the effort to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq -- the Bush administration's stated primary rationale for the war -- was halted after having come up empty.
    Funny how the conservatives don't really like to respond to this.

It is your side that furthers divides this great country. People with morals have spoken though... depsite the claims of you, Jesse, Barbara, John-boy Conyers and that woman form Cleveland.
    The LEFT further divides this great country? Why? Because 48% of all Americans won't fall into formation and blindly march along with the self-proclaimed "people with morals"?

So basically, your position is that those who disagree with you are without morals. So I guess 48% of the population of this country are without morals, and the 51% who voted Republican are all saints?

I suggest that ignorant attitudes like this are what "further divides this great country."
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-18-2005 at 11:48 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Torture? What is the definition of torture?
    I like the Geneva Convention's definition. What definition do you like?

Did Ted Kennedy do something personal to you? You manage to bring him up in just about every thread. I'll bet Ted Kennedy picks the Patriots to win this weekend, maybe you should go rant about that in the NFL playoffs thread.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

John-boy Conyers
    African-Americans don't really like being called "boy" if you didn't know. I'm sure you didn't intend for that to come off the wrong way, but you might want to tone it down a notch or someone might get the wrong idea.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

RFA, for someone with such great "morals" you sure aren't very polite.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    yeah I know how much it saddens you when people aren't polite. thanks for the support.
    School's out. What did you expect?

yeah I know how much it saddens you when people aren't polite. thanks for the support.

No, actually, I just felt left out so I figured I would join in on the crying.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    I'll bet you feel left out of a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Yeah, Like baby killing, outrageous protesting, whining, hating our president, losing elections, crying, tree-hugging, being different for the sake of being different ect..

I feel left out of all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Oh, and I almost forgot.

Time is the Revelator.

:MandJ:

Babykilling?

Keep going Cbus I'm sure you can stop any discourse you deem "stupid" or "upsetting"

Keep your eye on the ball big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Babykilling?

Keep going Cbus I'm sure you can stop any discourse you deem "stupid" or "upsetting"

Keep your eye on the ball big guy.

People with morals have spoken though... depsite the claims of you, Jesse, Barbara, John-boy Conyers and that woman form Cleveland.
    I suggest that ignorant attitudes like this are what "further divides this great country."
    Yeah, Like baby killing, outrageous protesting, whining, hating our president, losing elections, crying, tree-hugging, being different for the sake of being different ect..
    Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines:
    5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines.
    Another potentially thought-provoking discussion cut off because some people can't stop fighting.

Congratulations. Hope you're proud of yourselves.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?