Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

For a Level Playing Field

Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Just curious. We seem to have a trigger-happy thread closer around here.

Politics (and religion) are flashpoints. I think most know that. And they have their ups-and-downs as far as discussing goes.

Just make it simple... no politics allowed. Add it to rule #5. Might as well. That is what happens anyhow. We will only discuss movies, TV and people who do dumb things (non political of course). Should make us all lovable and keep us busy discussing important world topics when we are not in the mood to talk REDS baseball.

I see DunnHater getting run through the ringer (justifiably so IMO) on the other side but it just keeps on going-and-going-and-going. Most of his threads are far more political in nature (on this board) than most on non-baseball. But there seems to be an inconsistency.

Feel free to lock this if it is too political.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Just make it simple... no politics allowed. Add it to rule #5.
    Hmm... good idea.

Feel free to lock this if it is too political.
    Don't worry, I will.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves..." - William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar Act I Scene II
    Last edited by Chip R; 01-18-2005 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Hmm... good idea.
    Is that the official ruling then? No more political discussion?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    We can have hope, can't we?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

the problem is that the political threads turn well beyond civil discourse.

Once I see a certain few names in those type of threads, I stay away, because the end is near

No, not an official ruling.

Yet. :mhcky21:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I really hope not. The immature actions of a few shouldn't dominate the actions of many.

All persons who want to discuss politics will have to subscribe and discuss them on the Hall of Fame forum from now on.

No...not an official statement, just an idea.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    We can have hope, can't we?
    This is what I don't get. Why read the threads if they bother you RL?

And if you're not reading them then how do they bother you?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I would just like it if people didn't have something relevant to add to the discussion that they didn't post in that thread. That means unrelated rants about anyone on right or left and other posts purely intended to derail discussion such as dismissive emoticons. I know we don't all agree but getting access to opposing viewpoints is what democracy is all about. We should take advantage of the opportunity, not dismiss things out of hand just b/c they may be contrary to our current beliefs.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'd be thrilled if the political threads got the boot. All they do is build up animosity. There's occasionally a nugget of interest, but for the most part it's just a bunch of name-calling by people on both sides. It's not like anything productive comes from those threads, there's no kind of enlightenment. It's just two sides dug deeply into their own trenches lobbing grenades at each other.

This is what I don't get. Why read the threads if they bother you RL?

And if you're not reading them then how do they bother you?
    First, I don't read the threads so they don't bother "me".

They just bother me because all anyone does is fight back in forth in them, and then people get banned, etc, which makes for long days for the moderators, people coming back before their ban is up under other user names, and trolling, which then does effect me in other threads. So while it doesn't directly effect me to some point, I think this place would be a lot better off if they didn't exist.

I agree with what you said, though. It would be a lot better if people could act civil in those threads and things could be debated intelligently, but I've seen about 25 political threads in a row closed because things couldn't be discussed intelligently. That's enough for me to believe that things won't change dramatically in the future to make those threads worthwhile.

Best case, they should be put in their own forum as a perk for subscribers (like the Hall of Fame)
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I agree Pedro. I, for one, have had my opinion or belief on something swayed by discussions here on this message board in the past.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Hmm. I don't know? How could the animosity of certain posters on either side of the political divide possible bother someone who doesn't read those threads?

Maybe it's when a thread about the worst natural disaster that will occur in any of our lifetimes takes less than a few HOURS to degenerate into lefties and righties insulting each other. If any thread should have stayed free of Bush-bashing/Dem-bashing it should have been one relating to the news of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. But no. Some people had to go in there and act like petulant little pissant babies and make those deaths about their politics.

Or maybe it's when posters hang up their keyboards for good and leave the site because they can't stand being insulted anymore. And I'm talking about more than RBA here.

Hell, perhaps he's bothered by the fact that he can't make a comment in half the damn threads on this board anymore because he knows he'll get bashed, mercilessly, should he dare to open his mouth.

Those sound like good reasons to you?

The fragmenting of a community. That one suit you?

Or how about the Mods who get buried under an avalanche of PMs from posters in those 'political' threads complaining about someone else is insulting them? And then getting insulted by other people when they take action to rectify the initial problem?

Who cares if they're hurting someone else's feelings? Respect for your fellow man? Common decency? These things go right out the window after a political thread is on this board for more than ten minutes.

Does that get you? No? Of course not.

Then how about this: This is a baseball website.

And maybe the people who moderate this place are getting sick and tired of your crap.
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?