Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 144 of 144

Thread: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

  1. #136
    Glenn Braggs
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Why not just make a poll and decide in a few days if the majority wants to keep political and religious threads alive on the side or not? Wouldn't this be a democratic solution?

    Personally, I don't see much of a difference in some of the "fights" here compared to the ones which take place on the baseball-side (SABR - anti-SABR, Pro-Bowden-Anti Bowden, the same with Bob Boone etc.).

    It would be a big loss if people would not be able to discuss political or religious matter here anymore. I think people who like stirring up the pot on some occasions don't do themselves a favour anyway - I just tend to lose respect for them and skip over their posts. Also, everybody here has the option to put someone on his "ignore-list" or just stay out of this kind of discussions. And most of them are in my opinion not as bad as some here make them to be.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    An idea-

    An off-site message board to discuss politics and religion. It wouldnt be affiliated with Redszone in any way, and would be a compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #138
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    An idea-

    An off-site message board to discuss politics and religion. It wouldnt be affiliated with Redszone in any way, and would be a compromise.
    You'd just run into the same problems with the same admins and mods having to keep track of two domains.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  5. #139
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    You'd just run into the same problems with the same admins and mods having to keep track of two domains.
    Not at all, the mods would be free of the other board. Basically, in the scenario, I would start a new board for politics only on EZBoard or wherever, and would moderate it. It would have nothing to do with Redszone.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. #140
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,692

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Maybe this thread does serve a valuable purpose after all. We all now know that our mods have been getting overwhelmed with PMs complaining about our partisan and divisive arguments on here, and that it's gotten to the point that something is gonna have to be done.

    And since we are all adults on here (assumption on my part ), we need to take note and do something aout it so the mods don't have to.

    I take this whole thread/discussion as a warning, and if we don't heed it then the mods will have to act.

    But regardless what the mods do, they are in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't situation". If they act then some will complain and not be happy....and if they don't act it will be the same results.

    I personally think it's up to each of us to decide.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  7. #141
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    I think the problem with the political threads is not so much the content, but the person who posts them. I think people look first at the author and make up their mind before they even begin to read the post. If I see somebody like rf or gac post something, I pretty much know which side they are going to take and find myself agreeing or disagreeing from the start. I can count way too many times in the past where somebody posts a reply erroneously only because they didn't read all of the original post or article.

    If you couldn't see who was making each post, we'd have a whole different ballgame. Because then we'd have to attack the ideas and not the person.

    Nevertheless, anyone who has ever posted in one of those threads needs to look in the mirror and reconsider their future approach.

    My $.02. Back to "the thread" where I belong.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  8. #142
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,089

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Maybe this thread does serve a valuable purpose after all. We all now know that our mods have been getting overwhelmed with PMs complaining about our partisan and divisive arguments on here, and that it's gotten to the point that something is gonna have to be done.

    And since we are all adults on here (assumption on my part ), we need to take note and do something aout it so the mods don't have to.

    I take this whole thread/discussion as a warning, and if we don't heed it then the mods will have to act.

    But regardless what the mods do, they are in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't situation". If they act then some will complain and not be happy....and if they don't act it will be the same results.

    I personally think it's up to each of us to decide.

    I agree. I actually think this is a really helpful thread.

    And it could have gone wrong. Really wrong.

  9. #143
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    The thing that stands out so clearly to me is the awesome amount of talent on both sides of the aisle here at RedsZone.

    It's simply being channeled the wrong way. I have so much respect for a lot of posters on both sides of the divide. The problems are happening in spite of that talent, not because of it.

    Find a way to keep tapping this resource.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  10. #144
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,928

    Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    The thing that stands out so clearly to me is the awesome amount of talent on both sides of the aisle here at RedsZone.

    It's simply being channeled the wrong way. I have so much respect for a lot of posters on both sides of the divide. The problems are happening in spite of that talent, not because of it.

    Find a way to keep tapping this resource.
    RFS62, I'm really trying. We have a relatively new poster here whose posts generally consist of calling others "morons," of being "stupid", etc., all the while making numerous grammatical errors. I don't want to burden the mods with the poster and I'm trying not to directly respond to the poster. Maybe that is the only to deal with the situation.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25