Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    I'd be thrilled if the political threads got the boot. All they do is build up animosity.
    I agree.

Besides they bring out the worst in me and I have been trying to make myself stay off them.

I really believe the theme/the jist of the political and religious threads have been hashed and rehashed to death.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Lately, I've grown disenchanted with the nature of politics and am finding it easier to resist the temptation to post in political threads. My disenchantment with the discourse in political threads has consciously led me to start fewer non-baseball topics. I can count on one hand the number of threads I've started in non-bb since the first of the year, while in 2004, I'd start maybe 2-3 a day. My interest in helping the climate on this side of the board has absolutely waned and you can pin the blame squarely on these vitriolic political threads.

If the mod corps doesn't want the hassle, IMHO that's reason enough to give the subject a rest. I'd rather have a good place to discuss and read about my favorite baseball team than to have a place to air out my opinions on issues.
    /r/reds

My real advice: Created a political sub-forum.

If one must defend/debate/discuss an article, a news posting, a war, or a fat man with a camera, than one can enter into the realms of the political sub-forum!!!
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

For what it's worth, I think it would be a shame if all political threads were banned altogether. I know it's a baseball site ... and if you want to visit the site just for baseball, that's already possible. With all that's going on in the world, I think it would be nice to be able to have discussions about it.

Of course, the problem is within the discussions themselves. I expect discussions on politics and other heated topics to get, well, heated on occassion. What I don't get is the posters who will instantly start in on the name calling, or the accusations, or the dismissive emoticons. It happens so frequently, and often at the fingers of the same posters, that I sometimes wonder if said posters think it's a game. Or maybe they think being insulting is okay? Or funny? Or cool? I don't know. I do know that I don't get it.

We are capable of being respectful; one just has to choose to do so. Maybe that's too hard for some people?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Dare open his mouth? When in the hell has that stopped him?? You must be joking. If you aren't, then there is no sense in talking about this anymore.

I'd like to know why the same consistency is not used on both sides? Or do certain mods just do certain sides? I've seen some mods do both, but not all mods.
    66 - two things. First, I was not referring to RBA, I was referring to "Unnamed RedsZone Poster." The RedsZone poster as a Platonic ideal. Get it?

Second, you can not possibly know what the mods do here behind the scenes, because frankly, you're not privy to that information. So I'd reconsider my words before I started talking about things I have no knowledge of.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :fineprint
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    66 - two things. First, I was not referring to RBA, I was referring to "Unnamed RedsZone Poster." The RedsZone poster as a Platonic ideal. Get it?

Second, you can not possibly know what the mods do here behind the scenes, because frankly, you're not privy to that information. So I'd reconsider my words before I started talking about things I have no knowledge of.
    As in your first post to this thread... said with much charm. I know... as I don't know, congeniality is not a prerequisite to being a mod here. It seemed to be at one time though. Oh well. Such is life. And I'd rather not know what goes on behind your scenes.

Have a nice day, moderator!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Power corrupts power. Even in the most simplest form.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    My real advice: Created a political sub-forum.

If one must defend/debate/discuss an article, a news posting, a war, or a fat man with a camera, than one can enter into the realms of the political sub-forum!!!

[/golf clap]

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    As in your first post to this thread... said with much charm. I know... as I don't know, congeniality is not a prerequisite to being a mod here. It seemed to be at one time though. Oh well. Such is life. And I'd rather not know what goes on behind your scenes.

Have a nice day, moderator!
    Come on now, lets reason a little bit here.

It isnt Zombie, or any other mods purpose to take sides in any argument and use their mod skills :MandJ: to moderate an argument, but it is their purpose to moderate a thread. Follow what I am saying here... the mods arent closing discussions because they dont agree with them, its because they are approaching the line that if crossed, could turn it into a flame war. What happens when we have a flame war? people get banned. I would bet good money that if that thread with you and RBA arguing would have been left open, one or probably both of you would be banned by now.

Fact is, someone has to moderate these boards. and some people are making it really hard for our mods to do that. When they take action, Im convinced it isnt personal, but I think alot of you people think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I was thinking more along the lines of a "subscription + package". Subscription costs you $XX/month, quarter, year and you get access to all redszone + HOF forum. Subscription + costs you subscription + another fee and you get all of redszone + HOF forum + political forum.

That way people are paying extra for the political forum. If they enter that forum, they do so willingly and know what they are getting into.

Regular subscribers don't have access to the Political forum. That way those that pay money as subscribers aren't bothered by the Political forum unless they choose to upgrade and specifically request the "perk" of politics.
    My point was that I - and others - don't feel that is much of a privilege. It's like if your dog pooped in the living room, to solve the problem you move the poop into the bedroom. The same thing keeps happening but it is just in another place.

The problem isn't the political threads per se, it's the way that people speak to each other in them. It'd be nice if people could treat each other - and their ideas - civilly in those threads and sometimes they do. But too much of the time it's the other way around. And then there are the threads that are started specifically for the purpose of antagonizing people that are on the other side of the fence. It's all great sport to them. They don't care about the bruised feelings or resentment that carries over to the baseball side just as long as they have their fun.

If folks are so intent on discussing politics, there are scores of other message boards to do that on. I'm of the opinion that it has denegrated here to a point where it's no longer constructive to do it here. Well respected posters have left here because of all that political BS.

I don't want this to sound like I hate freedom of speech or that it's too much work to moderate those threads. It's not that at all. It's the attitudes that are taken with each other and the constant prodding and poking just to elicit a response - which is, essentially, trolling. Don't blame us if the political threads go away. Blame yourselves.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It's unfortunate that we can't play nice b/c the beauty of being able to discuss politics here at redszone is that that are many people here with different viewpoints. That can drive some great discussions. The problem with actual political chatboards is that they are not drawing diverse opinions and there is no balance. It's just everyone piling on one side or the other. TMBS, I find it hard to disagree with anything Chip had to say.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Then how about this: This is a baseball website.
    Not to get into the rest of it, so I'll only comment on this point. I'd hate for us to go baseball only. We have had friendships form on this site over the years. We do talk about other things. I like having a non-baseball side to congregate.

It keeps some of the sillier stuff off the baseball side, I think to the benefit of the baseball side.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    Come oooonnn SPRING TRAINING!!!
    That will certainly help too.

My $.02: Written language is the tried-and-true best way to conduct a civilized arguement. "Smilies", however, give posters the ability to just stick out their tongue instead of countering. I'd vote to do away with a lot of them.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?