Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Re: Politics... Not Allowed Here Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Those threads lost their appeal to me when the same movies/songs were being repeated five or six times.
    So, you simply stopped visiting them. That's cool. Doesn't mean there aren't other people that still enjoy them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

For a bunch of conservatives, you guys get a big ole chuckle outta playing the "victim." I thought only minorities did that, right big guys?

I agree with Chip as well. I've gotten pitched for crossing the line, and I recognized I had and accepted the ban. I didn't whine like a freakin' baby about it. You guys kill me.

Stop talkin politics?

You can blow out a candle
    But you can't blow out a fire
    Once the flames begin to catch
    The wind will blow it higher

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Personally I hope we keep the political threads.

There are several people (Rojo/Pedro/Redsfaithful/westofyou) who's views conflict with my own and I enjoy the back and forth that resides in those threads.

It's the personal attacks and the flame wars that disappoint me. But those always happen in politics, it's personal for some.

There are plenty of people on this board I consider friendly to me that I don't agree with 1% of politically. And I'm fine with that, I hope they are as well.

I guess I don't see it spilling over into other things on the board, but that could be because I'm not looking for it.

Is the board, outside of the political threads, really that fractured because of it.

I think the baseball board gets 4 to 5 times the traffic. If we are worried about people being upset over things said on Redszone.com, I would worry most about that side.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    For a bunch of conservatives, you guys get a big ole chuckle outta playing the "victim." I thought only minorities did that, right big guys?

I agree with Chip as well. I've gotten pitched for crossing the line, and I recognized I had and accepted the ban. I didn't whine like a freakin' baby about it. You guys kill me.
    And thank you for so eloquently proving my point, FCB.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The answer definitely isn't to abolish political threads, anymore than it is to censure the innumerable SABR/Traditionalist discussions which are run into the ground, or which inevitably turn personal. I couldn't agree more with Redsfaithful's comments on the matter. Chip is right that we would all we well served to try to remove the personal invective from our exchanges on such topics. We really should practice that type of civility towards other's views, as we enjoy each other's perspectives on so many other subjects, that it is a shame to have that subverted by getting personal over political positions. The forum is probably just a reflection of the national poltical discourse and rhetoric in that regard though. It's unfortunate, but I don't think banishing all political discussion in the interest of limiting trolling and personal insults is a very wise trade-off.

Personally, I really enjoy those who post disparate views about political issues (Redsfaithful, Rojo, pedro), and simply ignore those whose intent is to bait-and-namecall. It's not too difficult to discern between the two.

I could have saved that response, as pedro and jmcclain's remarks reflect my own views, perfectly.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It's unfortunate that we can't play nice b/c the beauty of being able to discuss politics here at redszone is that that are many people here with different viewpoints. That can drive some great discussions. The problem with actual political chatboards is that they are not drawing diverse opinions and there is no balance. It's just everyone piling on one side or the other.
    Bingo. This alone should be enough to maintain a non-baseball section of the site that covers any topics worth talking about. This diversity we have here is incredibly rare on the Internet, a mechanism that builds tribal communities brilliantly- but tribes are so often homogeneous.

I don't even bother reading most of the political threads on this board. I've only posted in non-baseball threads a handful of times. Move the "sensitive" topics to a subscriber area so people have to make something of a commitment to the community before they get to play Romans in the forum- but don't take them away.

Having a diverse place to express oneself does a lot for a lot of members of this community; the separation by distance means that we don't witness or memorably experience the changes that we've wrought in each other through this kind of interaction. But they've happened (as hinted by several posters), whether we always realize it or not.

One of the main reasons political discourse in this country has become so polarized is because we've all surrounded ourselves with people that agree with us- people of the same age, ethnicity, social class, and perspective. I'm no different.

I urge the moderators to maintain some (maybe more regulated) sort of political area as a strike against this brand of stratification.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy
    The answer definitely isn't to abolish political threads, anymore than it is to censure the innumerable SABR/Traditionalist discussions which are run into the ground, or which inevitably turn personal. I couldn't agree more with Redsfaithful's comments on the matter. Chip is right that we would all we well served to try to remove the personal invective from our exchanges on such topics. We really should practice that type of civility towards other's views, as we enjoy each other's perspectives on so many other subjects, that it is a shame to have that subverted by getting personal over political positions.
    That would be nice but, as I stated before, we have tried and tried and tried to get folks to play nice. But it's as futile as a politician's campaign promise. Some simply can't help themselves. They will be nice for a couple of weeks after they have been warned and then gradually slip back into their old habits.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That would be nice but, as I stated before, we have tried and tried and tried to get folks to play nice. But it's as futile as a politician's campaign promise. Some simply can't help themselves. They will be nice for a couple of weeks after they have been warned and then gradually slip back into their old habits.
    So you discipline the offenders. One too many offenses, see ya. Just like society (is supposed to) work/s.

Is it the complaining you get from the offended that's rankling you?

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

To be honest, Im all in favor of banning political threads. It seems like every day I come in here, someone has posted a thread for the sole purpose of whining, or saying "I told you so" or "This is why you should hate Bush", even worse is when someone totally defiles a thread like the infamous tsunami thread, and uses it as something to boost their political agenda.

If you want to whine and cry and try to change someones mind, write your congressman, because you arent going to change my mind.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    To be honest, Im all in favor of banning political threads. It seems like every day I come in here, someone has posted a thread for the sole purpose of whining, or saying "I told you so" or "This is why you should hate Bush", even worse is when someone totally defiles a thread like the infamous tsunami thread, and uses it as something to boost their political agenda.

If you want to whine and cry and try to change someones mind, write your congressman, because you arent going to change my mind.
    You could always not read the threads, but I guess that would deprive us all of your elequent emoticon usage.

And surely that would be a tragedy.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    You could always not read the threads, but I guess that would deprive us all of your elequent emoticon usage.

And surely that would be a tragedy.

Well how about this, continue to post your whiny stories about how bad republicans are and how we should all hate bush, and I will continue to show my feelings about them by using emoticons. I can deal with that. If you cant? then stop posting them or put me on ignore. I'm not breaking any rules.

Or you can call the ACLU, Im sure they would be as upset as you are about my emoticon "abuse". :MandJ:

The world is a big place, learn to deal with other POV's and you won't get so angry when they don't say what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    So you discipline the offenders. One too many offenses, see ya. Just like society (is supposed to) work/s.

Is it the complaining you get from the offended that's rankling you?
    If we disciplined everyone who got nasty with each other, it would be an awful lonely board.

No, it's not the complaining that is getting us riled. I already said it isn't the complaining or the time spent having to discipline others. If that was the case, I'd have quit being a mod a long time ago. Go back a page or two and read my posts if you want to know the reason.

Turn Off Ads?