Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Survivor Richard Hatch to plead guilty to tax evasion charges.

Survivor Richard Hatch to plead guilty to tax evasion charges.

Duh! 50,000,000 viewers and you didn't think anyone would notice?

Richard Hatch, who became a millionaire when he won the first-ever Survivor series, has agreed to plead guilty to two counts of tax evasion for failing to report income including the $1.01 million he won on the show. Federal prosecutors charged that the openly gay Hatch, 43, filed false 2000 and 2001 tax returns, omitting his income from the CBS show, as well as another $321,000 he was paid by a Boston radio station. The penalty could be up to five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine for each charge. However, as part of the plea agreement filed in federal court on Tuesday, the U.S. Attorney's Office said it would recommend a lesser sentence. The agreement is not binding, and Hatch could still choose to plead innocent and proceed to trial. Hatch was scheduled to be arraigned in U.S. district court in Providence, R.I., on Monday.

The charges were announced Tuesday by the U.S. Attorney's Office. The details of the plea agreement appeared in court documents, which were signed by Hatch on January 6 and filed Tuesday. As part of the plea agreement, Hatch said he would pay the taxes he owes, which the government said are between $200,000 and $400,000. The agreement does not shield him from any penalties the Internal Revenue Service might impose. According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, Survivor Entertainment Group paid Hatch $10,000 in August 2000 for appearing on the final episode of the reality show and $1 million for being declared the show's winner. Prosecutors allege that in November 2002, Hatch filed a false personal income tax return for the 2000 tax year by failing to report the $1.01 million. Prosecutors also said that Hatch failed to report income he earned working as on-air cohost and on-air personality for The Wilde Show on WQSX-FM in Boston between January and December 2001. A message left at Hatch's Newport home was not immediately returned, and his lawyer did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

On Survivor, Hatch stood out because of his penchant for nudity and as the only openly gay contestant. David Letterman dubbed him the "fat naked guy." Since the television show, Hatch has weathered a series of legal battles. He was arrested in April 2000 on a charge of abusing his then 9-year-old son. That charge was later dropped. In 2002, in a ruling that overturned a conviction from several months earlier, Hatch was found innocent of assaulting his ex-boyfriend. (AP)
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Survivor Richard Hatch to plead guilty to tax evasion charges.

The only surprise here is that it took so long for the IRS to notice.
    /r/reds

For a Level Playing Field

After reading the last paragraph of the article, Richard seems like one heck of a good-guy. Charges dropped, later found innocent after an initial guilty charge to assualt. Sure... always let free, but obviously the guy has some issues. But probably no surprise to anyone who has seen or heard the guy on TV. His biggest problem, as irony would have it, is he won that $1 million dollars. Made him much more of a public figure. Made him more likely to get arrested for his actions. Made that big chip he carries on each shoulder become easier for people to knock off his once proud and arrogant shoulders.

Perhaps he can make a buck or two off of a book after jail... Richard's "My Life Behind Bars". Cause I would guess (just a guess!) that he is one of those types who thinks he has no problems and everyone else in this world is just out to get him.

Stupid is, stupid does.

The most important lesson that any American citizen can and should learn is this:

Don't with the IRS.

Ever.

And if your 15 minutes of fame has been accompanied by financial riches of any significance, you want the best tax accountant that money can buy. Otherwise, you might as well hop on a one-way plane to Siberia in January with nothing but a thong and a bottle of SPF 30. That would be infinitely more pleasant that dealing with what the IRS henchmen and henchwomen would have in store for you.

If he goes to jail who'll be there to beat his overweight adopted son?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I don't know what
    They want from me
    It's like the mo' money we come across
    The mo' problems we see...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I saw this story on the news and I had to

Probably the dumbest person in the country. With penalties and interest, it might completely wipe him out financially.

Turn Off Ads?