Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

Very long piece.

http://worldtribune.com/worldtribune...680555557.html

I just wanted to get some reaction to this. I think you all know where I stand.
    Pennant or bust!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

Thanks for the post. Prepare to get flamed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field

LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq. He led troops into battle in Fallujah late last year and is now involved in security operations for the upcoming elections. He wrote the following during "down time" after the Fallujah operation. His views are his own.

Guess he might know what he is talking about. Been there, done that. Cannot say the same about Seymour Hersh or Robert Parry. Or am I wrong (again)?

Thanks for the link.

Interesting article. Media coverage certainly isn't ever perfect, and I don't know how you weigh the good that's being done against the bad that's happening in Iraq. I doubt anyone does. Regardless I'm sure the troops are doing the best they can in a bad situation, and this article reinforces that. Media coverage is partially going to be driven by the fact that this has been a particularly divisive war though, and I think media coverage of any government activity should err on the critical side. In my opinion, that's the media's job.

Prepare to get flamed.
    Is that necessary?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

Is that necessary?
    Not if subsequent posts are similar to yours. You made no attack on anyone and didn't use any of the cliched responses some use here. You simply gave a reasoned opinion and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Prepare to get flamed.
    There will be NO flames. Discussion, perhaps, but no flames.
    Several of us have fire extinguishers at the ready
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest

[img]images/photos/jpg[/img]

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :MandJ:
    Last edited by CougarQuest; 01-20-2005 at 03:44 PM.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...not/index.html

key quote:

"These people will not surrender," he said. He was referring not only to the estimated 15,000-17,000 members of the Islamic Army in Iraq, which kidnapped him and Chesnot, but also to the dozens of other Islamic fundamentalist groups fighting in the country. "They have time, they have weapons, they have money," Malbrunot said. "And they are fighting at home. I am afraid it will only get worse and they will get more and more power. It frightens me."

What's even worse, he said, is that in President George W. Bush, "they have a great partner." Neither side is willing to budge. "
    Last edited by Mutaman; 01-22-2005 at 01:54 AM.

Wow, quite a piece.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Wow, quite a piece.
    Yes it was. I do wonder if Iraq will even exist a few years from now, or if it will be officially a dismembered state, with the Kurds controlling a portion, and much in continued chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    I just gave a fire extinguisher class at work. Remember... not all fire extinguishers are designed for every type of fire. So be sure you have the right one.

And remember "PASS" means "Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep"

And always aim at the base of the fire.

:MandJ: :MandJ:

Excellent article. I'm saving that bad boy!

I have come to find that I got my most accurate coverage about this war from those who are serving there. I have several friends/co-workers who have sons over there. Some got to come home for the Holidays on leave and got the chance to relay their experiences.

They say that a vast majority of the soldiers believe in what they are doing and agree with the overall objective. There are problems and "hot spots", such as in Fallujeh, Mosul, and around Baghdad, where the majority of the insuregents, who are Sunnis, are centralized. But overall, they stated that we are making alot of good progress, there is alot being accomplished, and that a majority of the Iraqis welcome them and want them there.

But the soldiers I have talked to say they don't get to hear/listen to alot of the media coverage that is going on over here in the states. And when they came home on leave they were somewhat disturbed at our media coverage of the war. They feel the media is not being objective and not covering alot of the good/progress that is being made all around Iraq. They impression they got from watching our media while home is that the whole country is in turmoil and out of control, and they say that just is not true at all.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-22-2005 at 09:32 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They feel the media is not being objective and not covering alot of the good/progress that is being made all around Iraq.
    Am I the only person who would be really disturbed if the media was simply cheerleading?

Like I said earlier, the media's job isn't to be "fair and balanced", it's to tell the truth. There are many, many bad things happening in Iraq every day that don't make the news, just like there are many good things happening in Iraq every day that don't make the news.

Here's a blog that details everything that happens in Iraq everyday:

http://dailywarnews.blogspot.com/

It's stunning how many bombings there are, how many people are killed, etc that don't make the news.

The internet is the place to get news anymore anyway. I certainly agree with this guy that the mainstream media has failed us, I just feel that way for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Am I the only person who would be really disturbed if the media was simply cheerleading?
    I don't think being objective should be construed as "cheerleading" RF.

Put yourself in one of those's soldiers shoes who has been over there, is experiencing and knowing what is going on firsthand, then comes home on leave and sees the media giving what they say is a very warped and unobjective report of what is going on, and not giving the soldiers any credit, or yes, accolades for those good things they are accomplishing.

Like I said earlier, the media's job isn't to be "fair and balanced", it's to tell the truth.
    And like the soldier in this article says though RF... they are not telling the whole truth. They are being very "selective", or maybe the right word is "omissive" in the handling of the entire truth in order to get a desired result.

Just as this soldier pointed out this example...

More recently, a major news agency's website lead read: "Suicide Bomber Kills Six in Baghdad" and "Seven Marines Die in Iraq Clashes." True, yes. Comprehensive, no. Did the author of this article bother to mention that Coalition troops killed 50 or so terrorists while incurring those seven losses? Of course not. Nor was there any mention about the substantial progress these offensive operations continue to achieve in defeating the insurgents. Unfortunately, this sort of incomplete reporting has become the norm for the media, whose poor job of presenting a complete picture of what is going on in Iraq borders on being criminal.
    Again...if you were a US soldier and read these headlines, and saw where the media was not being comprehensive in their coverage, then wouldn't you be somewhat amiss?

No one wants "white washing" or "cheerleading" going on in this war. I think we simply want the full, comprehensive truth in reporting.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-22-2005 at 10:31 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I would guess that everyone is seeing only "part of the elephant" and is reporting what he or she observes, influenced by whatever biases and preconceptions they bring to the issue. A soldier or a journalist or just an observer in a relatively peaceful part of Iraq may believe everything is going well while someone in an Iraqi hellhole will nasturally believe there is no hope.

Did the author of this article bother to mention that Coalition troops killed 50 or so terrorists while incurring those seven losses
    I just think he's wrong. Most stories I read have the number of insurgents killed included. It might not be the focal point of the story, but it's usually there.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Also Friday, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded while raiding a bomb-making cell north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said. With the fatality, 1,371 U.S. troops have died in the Iraq war.

The raid took place near Ad Duluiya, about 60 miles (97 km) north of Baghdad, a military statement said. One insurgent was killed and 12 suspects detained after the raid on eight locations, the statement said.
    That's from the newest CNN.com "roundup". I think they report what they have to be honest. If the military releases an enemy casualty number then they seem to include it.

Turn Off Ads?