Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ Answers Round 1: "I'm going to the game and i need advice on..."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

FAQ Answers Round 1: "I'm going to the game and i need advice on..."

OK, RedsZoners, time to answer some of those burning FAQ Questions

We'll answer one set of questions at a time. The first round of answers will be on the "going to a game" category. Post your answers to any or all sections of the question in this thread. I will compile and incorporate them into this first post. edit: I haven't had time to add responses to the original post this week and probably won't until next week. (/edit)

I know that there are existing threads on this first subject in the archive, and I will mine those for the finished answer, too. Feel free to post links to threads if you think they contain particularly good answers or might not be an obvious.

So far I'm mining the following threads:
    Parking: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12341

As far as the form of your answer, you can either go with a "just the facts" format or make a post with full sentences as if someone had asked the question. If you want to disagree with an earlier answer for some reason, that's fine, too.

Rough Draft of Round 1 Answers:

Category: I'm going to a Reds' home game and I need advice on:

Q: "" where to eat in the stadium.
    A:

Q: "" where to eat near the stadium.
    A:

Q: "" where to park.
    A:
    In Cincinnati, many RedsZoners park near Fountain Square.

Handicapped permits can park in the stadium garage for $10.

Covington has a 50-cent (TANK) shuttle to the game and there are many lots around the downtown area near TANK stops, such as Willie's, the hotel just down the street from Willie's (anyone know the name?), in front of the Marriott and Embassy Suites by the river, and a main terminal in downtown Covington with $1.00 parking.
    There are also riverboat rides available to GABP from the riverside parking areas. (Price, location?)
    Some RedsZoners park free at The Radisson, a "huge round hotel east off of exit 192."

In Newport, you can park at the Travelodge for $3.00, walk across the bridge and enter the centerfield gate (about a 10 minute walk) or take the 50-cent TANK shuttle. There is also $2.00 parking at the Levee surface lot, which can be combined with either a walk across the "Purple People" pedestrian bridge or a TANK shuttle ride.

Q: "" where to get tickets.
    A:

Q: "" seating at GABP.
    A:

Q: "" hotels/motels near the stadium.
    A:
    For deals in the downtown area, some posters recommend Priceline.com. Before bidding, do some research at biddingfortravel.com. This combination can yield 3* and 4* hotel stays for $35-55/night.

Q: "" night spots in Cincinnati.
    A:
    Here are some recommendations from the Greater Cincininnati Convention and Visitors' Bureau and the February 2004 issue of Cincinnati Magazine:

Nightlife/Live Music/Club Hopping:

Blues/Bluegrass/Jazz Clubs:
    • Blue Wisp Jazz Club, 318 E. Eightth St., downtown, 513-241-9477, www.bluewispjazzclub.com
    • Chez Nora, 520 E. Main St., Covington, 859-491-8027, www.cheznora.com
    • Cody's Cafe, 113 Calhoun St., Clifton heights, 513-569-0555, www.codyscafe.com
    • Dee Felice Café, 529 Main St., Covington, 859-261-2365, www.deefelice.com
    • Dickmann's Kentucky Sports Cafe/barn of blues, 479 Orphanage Rd., Ft. Wright, 859-331-8076, www.dickmannscafe.com
    • The Dubliner, 6111 montgomery Rd., Pleasant Ridge, 513-531-6111
    • Jazz in the Park Lounge, 1180 W. Kemper Rd., Forest park, 513-648-9698, www.jazzintheparklounge.com
    • Jazzmania, 837 Willard, Covington, 859-491-2403, www.jazz-mania.com
    • Mansion Hill tavern, 502 Washington St., Newport, 859-581-0100
    • Mr. Pitiful's, 1323 Main St., Over-the-Rhine, 513-369-0202

Other Nightlife:
    • The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Midnight every other Saturday, $7.75, Esquire theatre, 320 ludlow Ave., Clifton, 513-281-8750
    • Sports Plus, "a unique, family-friendly sports, dining and entertainment facility. 10765 Reading Rd., Evendale, 513-769-1010, http://www.sportsplusohio.com/
    • Thunder Alley Glow Bowling, midnight-2:00AM every Saturday, Western Bowl, 6383 Glenway Ave., Bridgetown, 513-574-2222 Alley is open 24 hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    • Cincinnati Observatory Center has Public Stargazing, 7:00 PM most Thursday and Fridays, reservations required, 3489 Observatory place, hyde park, 513-321-5186.
    • Beechmont Rollarena has All-Night Skate, 7:30PM-5AM on the first Saturday of September-April (beginning and end of baseball season ), 3988 Commercial Blvd., Beechmont, 513-753-6868.

Q: "" other things to do in Cincinnati during my visit.
    A:

Q: Transportation from the airport to Downtown/GABP
    A:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83642
    Last edited by Chip R; 08-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: FAQ Answers Round 1: "I'm going to the game and i need advice on..."

(Reserved in case I need a second post to contain the answers.)

Sorry for not replying with an answer, but what about a question I've seen asked a few times under this category: "I'm going to the game and I need advice on what to do after the game/night life" as well as "What to do while in Cincinnati for out of towners?"

As far as hotels go, downtown, PRICELINE.COM!!!

Read the FAQ for hotels on this page: http://b6.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

It can get you 3* and 4* hotels for $35-$55 a night :GAC:

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    OK, RedsZoners, time to answer some of those burning Q: "" where to park.
    A:
    In Cincinnati, many RedsZoners park near Fountain Square.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12341

Q: "" other things to do in Cincinnati during my visit.
    A:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8502
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This Redszoner parks on 3rd Street (one way going West) for free after 6pm (if places are available) M-Sat, and free all day on Sunday (as is all downtown parking IIRC). You can also park in the Tower Place Mall (next to the Carew Tower).
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Where to get tickets...best place is at the ballpark ticket windows (no fees) and they can do a good search. Also from the Reds website:

Other Ways to Purchase

Tickets are also available the following ways:
    By calling (513) 381-REDS or toll-free (877) 647- REDS
    By visiting the Great American Ball Park ticket windows located at Second and Main Streets
    By visting the Majestic Dugout Shop located in the Westin Hotel downtown
    By visting any area Tickets.com outlets, including Meijer stores, select Play It Again Sports and the Visitors Center on Fountain Square.

Beginning Monday, February 23, Great American Ball Park ticket windows will be open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Also beginning February 23, tickets can be purchased at the Majestic Dugout Shop Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET.

For additional information, please contact the Reds Ticket Office at (513) 765-7400.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Seating at GABP... tsj017 had a breakdown regarding how the rows were laid out - I printed it out at the time, but couldn't find it in a search. If tsj017 doesn't respond I think I can find it tonight and post.

Most seats on the 1st base side are in the shade for the start of the night games. 3rd base side, bleachers and terrace outfield are mostly in the sun with the beachers/LF terrace the last to find shade. The coolest spot (weather wise) is the view level mezzanine WC seats. Day games almost everyone is in the sun.

Smoker: the best spot to stand and still see the game would have to be the "patio" down the 1st base side bordering on the visitor's bullpen.

Category: I'm going to a Reds' home game and I need advice on:

Q: "" where to eat in the stadium.
    A:

If you’re going to get to the stadium well in advance of the game, hit the Machine Room on the Field Level’s third base side. It feels like a neighborhood bar and has a variety of food to choose from. It fills up, though.

If you are in the Club seats, you may as well get your food from Club 4192 or have it delivered to you in your seat. Either way, you’ll decent quality food and lots of variety.

Concessions around the concourses do not all sell the same things, so if you do not see what you are looking for, keep walking. Hamburgers, in particular, can be hard to find. There’s a place just up the third base line behind home.

Q: "" where to eat near the stadium.
    A:

Morton’s is a short walk, on 4th street, as is Jean-Robert at Pigall’s (if you’ve just watched a day game and are looking for a nice dinner.) For more relaxed grub, the Rock Bottom Brewery at Fountain Square is usually hoppin’ after a game.

A:

You can park under Fountain Square for $1 after 5:00. There’s also parking under the Westin for $1 after 5:00. Both are a short walk from the park. You can park at meters anywhere downtown, but they must be fed until 6:00 on weekdays and on Saturdays. Meters are free on Sundays.

Q: "" where to get tickets.
    A:

Tickets.com and the Reds ticket window are the ticket outlets I use most often. There’s also ebay.com, which requires a week or two of forethought.

You can also call the Reds at (513) 381-REDS or toll-free (877) 647- REDS.

There is a ticket window in the Dugout Shop in the Westin. This can be a great place to avoid the lines at the stadium ticket windows on popular walk-up days, like for bobbleheads.

If scalping is your thing, they work a few corners south of Fountain Square, starting at about 5th and Walnut. They are all over Third Street.

A:

The Westin is the closest hotel to the park and is reasonably nice. It, and the Hyatt, are where most visiting teams stay. The Westin often runs special deals involving Reds games.

Q: "" night spots in Cincinnati.
    A:

Newport on the Levee has the hottest night life right now. It’s right across the river from the park. If you stay in Ohio, Main Street north of Central Avenue has a number of bars that remain popular, like Rhino’s and Barrelhouse, and a couple of newer, more cosmopolitan spots like Red Cheetah and Club Clau. For a more relaxed atmosphere without the urban grime and stench of freshly laminated fake ID’s, Mt. Adams is a five-minute cab ride away.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Handicapped permits can park in the stadium garage for $10.

$12 this season.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Here is the seat info thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...&threadid=6484

Im not a Cincinnatian, but I come up I-75 and always park in a good location. Again, I don't have specific road names, but for those how live S of Cincinnati, this may be helpful. I go N 75, take the 5th Street Exit. Take the right at the light towards PBS. Take the left at the light at PBS towards GAB. I park for 8 bucks at the big lots near the new Underground Railroad building. Following the game, I shoot up the same street, through an alley street and am back on the Interstate in less that 5 mins following a game. In the past 5 years, Im yet to encounter ANY post game traffic, this includes opening day! Traffic on Southbound I-75 following a game seems to be very minimal! :auto:

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    [b]Category: I'm going to a Reds' home game and I need advice on:

A:

The Westin is the closest hotel to the park and is reasonably nice. It, and the Hyatt, are where most visiting teams stay. The Westin often runs special deals involving Reds games.
    The Westin and Hyatt can be had for about $45-$58 a night thru the info given at the link in my first post

The coolest way to get to the park is to park in Covington in the hotel garage at the end of Madison Street. You can then take a ferry boat to the back gate of the park. You can drink beer at the dock while waiting to board. You can then drink beer on the boat. The ride across the river is visually pleasing, especially if you have been drinking beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    The coolest way to get to the park is to park in Covington in the hotel garage at the end of Madison Street. You can then take a ferry boat to the back gate of the park. You can drink beer at the dock while waiting to board. You can then drink beer on the boat. The ride across the river is visually pleasing, especially if you have been drinking beer.
    I may be jumping to conclusions here, Hap, but do you like to drink beer? :GAC:
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    :MandJ: :GAC: :MandJ: I love it!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?