Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why was the SpongeBob thread locked?

Why was the SpongeBob thread locked?

Usually, locked threads get an explanation. I didn't see the explanation for that one.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why was the SpongeBob thread locked?

I like Sponge Bob too. But I prefer Johnny Bravo and Two Angry Beavers!

WHO-HAAA!

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I think this was why.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Discussion of fictional sea creatures is not allowed. That applies to Flipper, too. :fineprint
    /r/reds

Wait a minute, I thought Flipper was real!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Wait a minute, I thought Flipper was real!
    Flipper was only his "stage name". He would have lasted longer and probably have gotten a Hollywood Star if his agent, I think his name was Charlie Tuna, hadn't demanded more money than the two kids and their Park Ranger Dad. Charlie also demanded that the boys quit using that blasted underwater horn-caller thing... it hurt his ears.

It was a bad move (like Suzanne Sommers, 3's Company)... b/c after that people only wanted to see Great Whites chomping on people w/ their "Jaws" in movies. Hasn't changed much since other than the occasional "nice guy" killer whale movie or two.

And what did his agent, Charlie Tuna, have to say about the stupid career move for Flipper? He apologized to Flipper for years... hence, the nickname he got in Hollywood, "Sorry Charlie".
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Last edited by TeamCasey; 01-21-2005 at 01:02 PM.

No one was bickering... yet. My guess is it was locked because of the incendiary nature of the thread title and some of the comments made by the poster. If it had been just a link to the story with a title that was less opinionated, it would probably still be open.

If you guys want political/religious discussion, that's fine but these discussions are going to be monitored closely and we will not put up with as much crap as we have in the past. If that means threads are going to be closed before anyone responds, then that is what is going to happen. If that means posters are going to be banned with little or no warning, as this offender was, then that is what is going to happen. If you want total freedom of speech, I suggest you go elsewhere. If you want to discuss politics and/or religion while being respectful of other persons' points of view, you are more than welcome to do so here.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Im guessing this is the resolution to the past threads? Or has that been decided yet?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Im guessing this is the resolution to the past threads? Or has that been decided yet?
    I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you talking about locking threads that were posted before the new "get tough" policy or are you talking about banning folks who have been transgressors in the past?

My guess is it was locked because of the incendiary nature of the thread title and some of the comments made by the poster.
    That's quite a narrow interpretation. What else could he have titled the thread to avoid being "incendiary"?

If that means threads are going to be closed before anyone responds, then that is what is going to happen.
    I think pre-emptively closing threads will make a lot more work for the moderators than simply responding to complaints.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you talking about locking threads that were posted before the new "get tough" policy or are you talking about banning folks who have been transgressors in the past?
    I thought I remembered CQ posting in the "Be the Last Person to Post" thread that the new resolution was being worked on, but Boss was going to announce it.

Is the solution the "get tough" policy, or is it something else that hasnt been announced?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    That's quite a narrow interpretation. What else could he have titled the thread to avoid being "incendiary"?

I think pre-emptively closing threads will make a lot more work for the moderators than simply responding to complaints.
    Nothing. He would have been better off not posting it at all.

Based on that poster's posting tendencies and the history of the posts he had made on that day, the mods decided he should be shut down. And he was.

Every post is not looked at in a vacuum. Past tendencies and trends are also considered when we make a decision on how to best moderate these threads.

And they are moderated at our discretion.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    How about, "US Groups attack Sponge Bob Video"? Or "Sponge Bob Video Under Attack"? Or even "Focus On The Family Attacks Sponge Bob Video"? And then he insinuated that the people attacking this video believe Sponge Bob to be "evil" but that never appeared in the article. That is exactly what we are trying to avoid here. One person claiming that an entire group of people that share the same political leanings feel like that group does. It's be tantamount to saying "Liberals believe Bush should be jailed" when just some far left wacko group feels that way.

That poster was warned via PM and in a thread about name calling. He read the PM and went right back to name calling in the same thread and then posted that new thread. He was banned and I closed the new thread. There is not going to be the same childish behavior that has been going on in the political and religious threads. Discuss politics/religion. But the trolling, flames, name calling, personal attacks, fights, general nuisance, and excessive criticism is over with.

Pedro made a very good posts in that thread about how to act. Hoepfully he won't mind me adding it here.
    But name calling is considered offensive in mixed company and doesn't lead to alot of intelligent discussion, which is so obviously the point of this board.

Pretend you are at someone's house as their guest for dinner. Keep the conversation respectiful and quiet if you possibly can. After all, the food's good here and I think you'll want to be invited back.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?