Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudi Johnson threatening to sit out

Re: Rudi Johnson threatening to sit out

I understand RH; but when you set that "franchise" tag on a player, who sets that 1 yr salary? An arbitration board?

I just hope that the Bengal's FO deals with Rudi in good faith, considering what he has accomplished. Now he doesn't deserve a 5 yr contract or an outrageous sum of money... and if he is dead set on thinking he deserves that, then it's not the Bengal's fault if they tell him "adios".

Again... what are the Bengal's salary cap restraints (if any)?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-23-2005 at 08:14 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

negotiating ploy
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I understand RH; but when you set that "franchise" tag on a player, whos ets that 1 yr salary? An arbitration board?
    Salary for a franchise player is the average of the 5 highest paid backs in the league. Not a bad gig, really.

I don't really see what the big deal with LTC's in the NFL, anyway. The contracts aren't guaranteed, so there is no advantage to the player if his performance goes south. I don't understand the cap rules well enough to know whether or not there is a big disadvantage to teams who sign a player and then cut them after a few years.

I think the Bengals have quite a bit of Payflex under the cap right now. Problem is, they have several guys who are due for a raise within the next couple of years. Maybe Rudi isn't as high on the priority list as some other guys who will command more money next year.

I have no faith whatsoever in Chris Perry to be anything better than a third down back. For the most part that was a good draft but Marvin really blew the first pick. Give Rudi his 5 year deal, as it's been stated before, if he stinks it up and you want to cut him 3 years in you can, you won't have to pay those last couple years and it's just a prorated portion of his signing bonus that counts against the cap. At that point the hit shouldn't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Salary for a franchise player is the average of the 5 highest paid backs in the league. Not a bad gig, really.

I don't really see what the big deal with LTC's in the NFL, anyway. The contracts aren't guaranteed, so there is no advantage to the player if his performance goes south. I don't understand the cap rules well enough to know whether or not there is a big disadvantage to teams who sign a player and then cut them after a few years.
    Not at all. Even that salary may be more than the Bengals are willing to pay so the Franchise tag may be moot.

I don't know the cap rules very well myself but from what I understand, at least part of a player's salary will count against the salary cap if he is cut after a few years of a long term deal. The player won't see any of that money but he will get all of the bonus money, IIRC. That bonus is spread out over the life of the contract for cap purposes and I think even if a player is cut, at least part of that bonus counts against the cap.

IIRC, part of Corey Dillon's salary is counted against the Bengals' cap limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I have no faith whatsoever in Chris Perry to be anything better than a third down back. For the most part that was a good draft but Marvin really blew the first pick.
    You might want to let the guy get on the field healthy before making a judgment on the pick. Jim Anderson could have been wrong, but that pick was his reputation on the line. Expect good things from Perry. As far as Rudi, the Bengals have to get something for him, no matter whether he plays another down. I don't even care if they want to pay him, but only if it doesn't weaken their ability to improve the defense, both line and backers.

Personally, I see the Rudi Johnson problem as a moot point., I don't see the bengals signing Rudi to a LTC for the simple fact that running back is one of the easiest positions in the NFL to fill. With more pertenant needs on the defensive line, i can't seem Marvin locking him up to a high dollar contract for more than a year or two at most.

I think the entire point to drafting Perry in the first place was that the Bengals weren't planning on carrying Johnson after this season, and "reloading" at runningback whenever each successive RB gets too expensive. But the Perry injury is going to force them to franchise tag Johnson.

For those who don't know, what the franchise tag does is allows the bengals to guarentee having Rudi for at least one more year, albiet at high $, but also gives them 2 first rounders if another team decides they want him (which is doubtful). This hopefully gives Perry a year to get his feet wet and Johnson walks at the end of next season.

My own view on this bengals offseason, is that they will franchise tag Johnson, and get him for around $5 million for next season. They'll try again for a free agent defensive lineman, and backload his contract to take Rudi's money, and then they'll use their first round pick on Erasmus James or another defensive end.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

"He feels he has earned the right not to play for insecurity," Schaffer said. "It's not anti-organization. It's not Corey Dillon. I was very clear: Rudi feels his contributions to the team and his stats warrant that, if he is going to play for the Bengals, that it is not for one year."
    True, it's not Corey Dillon. Dillon put up good stats for 6 years. Rudi has only performed for two.

Dillon refused to keep his mouth shut about the horrendous state of an organization that was built to lose. Rudi just wants more money.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    If he wants to sit out, hes more than welcome, IMO.

The Bengals already have Chris Perry. This years RB class is projected to be very deep, and Florence KY native Shaun Alexander is a FA. There are plenty of options available this offseason, and RB is a fairly easy position to fill.
    I don't want to return to the mid 90s when the Bengals didn't have a RB. I say sign him for about 3 years, 13 mil. He can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    I don't want to return to the mid 90s when the Bengals didn't have a RB. I say sign him for about 3 years, 13 mil. He can live with that.
    What, Harold Green's 3 yards a carry wasn't good enough for you? :MandJ:

I would be fine with a combo of Chris Perry and Kenny Watson. We won't be without a running back.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    What, Harold Green's 3 yards a carry wasn't good enough for you? :MandJ:
    I'm referring to the days of this:

Eric Bienemy
    Ki-Jana Carter
    Garrison Hearst
    And even when the franchise were so desperate they sign Barry Foster and a day later he retired.

The Barry Foster "era" was pretty sad. At that point in his career though he may have done the Bengals a favor by retiring.

The good thing about having Lewis running the draft is that there is a chance the Maurice Clarette will not be a Bengal. In the past the only question would have been in what round would the Bengals take him.

In Harold Green's defense, God couldn't have averaged more than 3 yards per carry with that O-line. Same line killed any chance of David Klingler having a decent career.

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    I could live with that, but the question is, could Rudi? If hes adamant about getting a five year deal or longer, I would look elsewhere for a RB, whether it be Alexander(hope he takes a hometown discount), go with Perry, or draft a Morency or Gore in the 2nd round.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?