Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudi Johnson threatening to sit out

Rudi Johnson threatening to sit out

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20388/1078/SPT

Rudi doesn't want franchise tag
    Agent says running back will sit if given one-year deal

By Mark Curnutte
    Enquirer staff writer

Running back Rudi Johnson wants more than a 1-year deal from the Bengals.

Rudi Johnson would sit out the 2005 season rather than play under a one-year free agent contract designation available to the Bengals.

Peter Schaffer, Johnson's agent, said Friday night that he has told the Bengals that Johnson would not play if the club uses the franchise tag on Johnson.

"He feels he has earned the right not to play for insecurity," Schaffer said. "It's notanti-organization. It's not Corey Dillon. I was very clear: Rudi feels his contributions to the team and his stats warrant that, if he is going to play for the Bengals, that it is not for one year."

Johnson wants a five- or six-year contract with the Bengals, Schaffer said. Johnson can become an unrestricted free agent March 2. He played for a $1.8 million tender as a restricted free agent in 2004 and responded by starting all 16 games and setting franchise records for rushing yards (1,454) and rushing attempts (361).

The franchise tag severely limits a free agent's ability to change teams. The Bengals would have to guarantee Johnson a one-year deal equal to the average of the top five running back salaries in the league - expected to be near $6 million. If another team would sign Johnson as a free agent, the Bengals would receive compensation in the form of two first-round draft picks.

Johnson did not return several phone messages left Friday.

"They felt strongly about securing cornerstone players Willie Anderson (right tackle), Chad Johnson (wide receiver) and Carson Palmer (quarterback) with multi-year contracts," Schaffer said of the Bengals. "Rudi is not saying he does not want to be a Bengal. He wants to be a Bengal for several years."

The Bengals could put the tag on Johnson and then try to trade him.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan had no comment Friday night about Schaffer's comments.

Johnson has been a good team player, unlike Dillon, who consistently complained about playing in Cincinnati and tried to manipulate his exit.

The Bengals traded Dillon to New England in April for a second-round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Rudi Johnson threatening to sit out

Smells like Leon in here.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Johnson wants a five- or six-year contract with the Bengals, Schaffer said.
    The average "NFL life expectancy" for a RB is not even 5 years. A deal for that length is not smart for a team. But what does length matter if there are no provisions for guaranteed money? I guess the infamous signing bonus would have to reflect 5-6 years in Rudi's mind.

Oh well... bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Smells like Leon in here.
    It really doesn't. Who can fault the guy for wanting a multi-year deal? He just put up the most rushing yards ever by a Bengals running back.

I'm not arguing that it would be smart for the Bengals to resign Johnson; I think going with Perry is the smart bet. But Rudi has never been anything but professional, and the guy deserves every dime of the money he's about to get paid, regardless of who gives it to him.

I really can't see the Bengals tagging him. Lewis knows that just causes resentment, and he wants a happy clubhouse. If Takeo wasn't tagged then I can't see him ever using the tag.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Retired

If he wants a multi year deal, fine. Acting like a 3 year old saying "if you tag me I won't play" isn't really the best approach to getting that deal, especially after the many sour years of Corey Dillion Bengals fans had to put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    If he wants a multi year deal, fine. Acting like a 3 year old saying "if you tag me I won't play" isn't really the best approach to getting that deal, especially after the many sour years of Corey Dillion Bengals fans had to put up with.
    It's the only leverage he has.

If he wants to sit out, hes more than welcome, IMO.

The Bengals already have Chris Perry. This years RB class is projected to be very deep, and Florence KY native Shaun Alexander is a FA. There are plenty of options available this offseason, and RB is a fairly easy position to fill.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No way, this is not even close to Dillon. Rudi sat and waited, produced, and should be paid for it. Now that said, I don't pay if I'm the Bengals, and I certainly don't tag him, with the options they have and the needs at other positions. Both sides will, and should be playing hardball.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

I hope people realize that using the franchise tag just makes it that much harder to attract quality free agents.

Who'd want to come and play in Cincinnati knowing they might not be allowed to leave?

It's such negative PR.

I like Rudi, but there is no way I would give him a five year deal, unless we are talking $500,000 a year. Somehow I don't think that's what he has in mind. With the depth of the draft and the possible free agents, I'm not worried about this position.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I don't like these comments because the "Franchise Tag" policy is part of the CBA agreed to by the player's association. The players as a group agreed to this stipulation knowing that these exact situations will happen regularly. Why should a team not use it if it's to their benefit? As a player, Rudi agrees to be subjected to the franchise tag. I don't like players who act like the rules don't apply to them and somehow they're an exception. Sitting out for Rudi would be the worst thing he could do for his career. Running backs who sit out a year are going to lose something.

As far as the Bengals are concerned, if there's no one else they feel warrants the franchise tag, then they should absolutely use it on Rudi. That way, if he does go elsewhere, they get draft picks, which Marvin has shown he knows what to do with (except for Perry). There's really no downside to it. If he sits, they don't have to pay him. If he goes elsewhere, they get draft picks. The only downside is the "chemistry" argument. And Rudi doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will cause a lot of problems.

I think the Takeo situation was different in a couple of ways. Lewis was brand knew and the Bengals were still a laughing stock and mired in the losing mentality. While they still haven't completely broken through, it's definitely a different mentality and Rudi is part of the new Bengals. Spikes had been through the wrost with the Bengals and wanted out of Cincinnati regardless. Rudi just wants a long-term contract. And more importantly, I really don't think Takeo was all that great. Honestly, he's one of the most over-rated players the Bengals have ever had. I loved the guy's attitude, but from watching him week in and week out, he wasn't that great. And rumor has it that Marvin felt the same way and didn't see any need to pay a great price for Spikes.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Bengals already have Chris Perry.
    Sorry WV (and very respefctfully), but I have to on this one. The reason the Benglas were able to get rid of Corey was because Rudi stepped up and proved something. Perry has not. Rudi has them right where he wants them.

This years RB class is projected to be very deep
    Yes, but where do the Bengals draft at this year?

and Florence KY native Shaun Alexander is a FA.
    I wouldn't go after any more RB's in Seattle (i.e. Dillion). Besides, what would it cost to get Alexander, even if he exits Seattle? He is more established then Rudi. I wouldn't offer any RB a 5 yr contract; but I'd think the Bengal's FO would have learned something from the Dillion fiasco.

Where are the Bengals as far as the salary cap goes? They need to offer Rudi a 2 yr deal, and pay him appropriately IMO. He has earned that.

If the Bengals put the "franchise" tag on Rudi, then IMO, he is as good as gone.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sorry WV (and very respefctfully), but I have to on this one. The reason the Benglas were able to get rid of Corey was because Rudi stepped up and proved something. Perry has not. Rudi has them right where he wants them.
    I disagree on this one for the reasons I listed.

Yes, but where do the Bengals draft at this year?
    The Bengals pick 17th in this years draft, but there are several RBs projected to go into the 2nd round(Arrington, Gore, Morency, Marion Barber). Ronnie Brown could also be there when the Bengals pick in the first as well.

I wouldn't go after any more RB's in Seattle (i.e. Dillion). Besides, what would it cost to get Alexander, even if he exits Seattle? He is more established then Rudi. I wouldn't offer any RB a 5 yr contract; but I'd think the Bengal's FO would have learned something from the Dillion fiasco.

Where are the Bengals as far as the salary cap goes? They need to offer Rudi a 2 yr deal, and pay him appropriately IMO. He has earned that.

If the Bengals put the "franchise" tag on Rudi, then IMO, he is as good as gone.
    Dillon played college at Washington. He is from Seattle, but Alexander is from the Cincy area. If they could get Rudi or Alexander at a 3 yr deal, I would be happy.

If they could get Rudi or Alexander at a 3 yr deal, I would be happy.
    I agree. But I think they could get Rudi alot cheaper then Alexander (if there is even a chance of doing so). So why aren't they offering Rudi a contract? The guy has proved his worth over the last two seasons to this team. To me, putting a "franchise" label on someone, instead of offering them a contract, is really like a smack in the face, and I can understand why any player would be upset.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I agree. But I think they could get Rudi alot cheaper then Alexander (if there is even a chance of doing so). So why aren't they offering Rudi a contract? The guy has proved his worth over the last two seasons to this team. To me, putting a "franchise" label on someone, instead of offering them a contract, is really like a smack in the face, and I can understand why any player would be upset.
    The franchise tag is about the same as offering arbitration to a free agent eligible player in baseball. It does not mean that the team cannot negotiate a longer contract with the player nor does it prevent the player from negotiating with another team. It simply sets the one year price tag and ensures that the team will get draft compensation if he signs elsewhere.

For example, if the Reds had offered Paul Wilson arbitration, then he could have:

a) Negotiated a multi-year contract with the Reds (like he did).
    b) Signed with another team with the Reds getting draft compensation
    c) Accepted arbitration for a one year contract

Rudi has all of the same options except that the Bengals have the right to counter any other team's deal.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 01-23-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?