Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Baby Names of 2004

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Top Baby Names of 2004

Sure we can have some fun with this one.

Was linked in my hotmail as a hot story of the day

http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...s2004&GT1=5974
    After three years at the top, Emily has been unseated by Emma as the most popular girl name in the United States, while Jacob remained the nation's most popular boy name for the fourth year in a row. The BabyCenter Baby Names List, which is the largest private list available, was compiled from more than 310,000 BabyCenter members who had babies in 2004. Our list combines names with the same pronunciation but different spellings to give a more accurate view of name popularity.

Although the most popular girl names shifted places, no new names entered the top 10 in 2004. For boys, Connor is new to the list, while Zachary has fallen out of the top group.

The top 10 baby names of 2004 (vs. 2003)

Girls' names

1. Emma (Emily)
    2. Madison (Emma)
    3. Emily (Madison)
    4. Kaitlyn (Hannah)
    5. Hailey (Hailey)
    6. Olivia (Sarah)
    7. Isabella (Kaitlyn)
    8. Hannah (Isabella)
    9. Sarah (Olivia)
    10. Abigail (Abigail)

Boys' names

1. Jacob (Jacob)
    2. Aidan (Aidan)
    3. Ethan (Ethan)
    4. Ryan (Matthew)
    5. Matthew (Nicholas)
    6. Michael (Joshua)
    7. Tyler (Ryan)
    8. Joshua (Michael)
    9. Nicholas (Zachary)
    10. Connor (Tyler)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top Baby Names of 2004

When I had creek jr, I refused to even consider names that were in the top 50.

Surprisingly, the name creek jr wasn't even in the top 100. :
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

My kid's names are Aaron, Rachel, and Samuel. My Dad was kinda disappointed that none of us named any of our kids after relation (great grandparents, etc).

But you should see some of these people's names!!!... Sylvester, Vance, Phoebe, Ethel, Ned, Thelma, Alfred. And those are the tame ones!

My Dad was a big western hero buff. They were gonna name me Randolph Scott Clark! My one brother's middle name is Cassidy for Hopalong Cassidy. I guess it beats Gabby Hayes.

He was also into musicals too, so it could have been worse. My sister could have been Judy Garland, and I could've end up Nelson Eddy.

I did point out to my Dad that my oldest boy has the very same initials that he does "AGC", so that pleased him.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Our baby was born Nov. 23, 2004... we chose McKenzie Sarah.

It didn't come from anywhere. No inspiration for it. My wife and I occasionally brainstormed on names after we found out about the pregnancy. We kind of liked the "Mc" thing. So we narrowed it down to McKaela (my idea) and McKenzie (wife idea) about 6 months into the pregnancy. We, believe it or not, flipped a coin to decide between those two. McKenzie was tails and lo-and-behold the toss showed tails. So McKenzie was it. Sarah as the middle name was decided b/c it is the name of my only sister who was also my wife's Maid of Honor and we felt the tribute to the baby's aunt was a nice touch.

We quickly realized that her initials (our last name begins with a "G") would be... MSG. We hope McKenzie likes Chinese food when she gets older!!

"Madison" always reminds me of the movie "Splash."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I often wonder how these names work their way into the cultural consciousness.

I mean, how does Emma/Emily take two of the top three spots and where the heck did Aidan come from? Are we sure that this isn't the top 10 list for Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I often wonder how these names work their way into the cultural consciousness.

I mean, how does Emma/Emily take two of the top three spots, and where the heck did Aidan come from? Are we sure that this isn't the top 10 list for Scotland?
    I'm fairly certain that ever since Jennifer Aniston's character on Friends named her baby "Emma", the name went from about postion #190 to #1 overnight.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

When we had our second, we had a friend who had access to the statewide database of births, which included baby names. He printed out for us a list of the first names given to babies in the state that year sorted by frequency of use. There were some funny choices near the bottom of that list, but there was one that I will never forget. Someone actually named their kid "Turkey." :MandJ:
    /r/reds

Social Security has a web site that you can look up the historical popularity of a name. It's interesting to see names come in and out of vogue...

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

where the heck did Aidan come from?
    I've never even heard of the name Aidan before reading this thread..

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My Dad was a big western hero buff. They were gonna name me Randolph Scott Clark! My one brother's middle name is Cassidy for Hopalong Cassidy. I guess it beats Gabby Hayes.
    You just made me think of Blazing Saddles, whenever the town people of Rock Ridge mention Randolph Scott - great stuff!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I've never even heard of the name Aidan before reading this thread..
    Classic Irish name, most famously affixed to the actor Aidan Quinn.

There are a lot of folks in the US who aspire to get back to their real or imagined Irish roots and selecting classic Irish names for the children seems like a great way to do it.

Lest anyone think I am making fun of the concept, I have a kid whose name falls in this category - common name, Irish spelling. Had he or his brother been a girl, he.... er, she would have had a different Irish name.
    /r/reds

I was glad to see that none of the names we chose for our sons:
    Grant Alexander and Chad Antonio made the list.

We wanted them to have unique names and not be 1 of 40 "Grant's or Chad's" in their class.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Classic Irish name, most famously affixed to the actor Aidan Quinn.

There are a lot of folks in the US who aspire to get back to their real or imagined Irish roots and selecting classic Irish names for the children seems like a great way to do it.

Lest anyone think I am making fun of the concept, I have a kid whose name falls in this category - common name, Irish spelling. Had he or his brother been a girl, he.... er, she would have had a different Irish name.
    I dig the name Seamus.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I dig the name Seamus.
    I suggested the name Angus to my wife when we had our second. Didn't even get time to pass through her brain before it was rejected.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?