Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Baby Names of 2004

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Top Baby Names of 2004

I've always thought it funny that old people have old sounding names. You know, like Thelma, or Betty. How is it gonna be in 60 years when all the current generation of kids are all old and there's gonna be little old ladies running around going, "hey, Shenequah, come here."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    I've always thought it funny that old people have old sounding names. You know, like Thelma, or Betty. How is it gonna be in 60 years when all the current generation of kids are all old and there's gonna be little old ladies running around going, "hey, Shenequah, come here."
    People need to remember that. You really aren't naming a kid. They will only be a kid for 18 years. They are going to have to be an adult with that name for 70 years.

I knew a woman who named her kid Rocky. Not a nickname, that's his real name. Rocky?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I knew a woman who named her kid Rocky. Not a nickname, that's his real name. Rocky?
    One of my nephews nickname is Rocky (thus named because he was over 9lbs at birth) - his real name is Walter. Everyone except for family calls him Walter.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    One of my nephews nickname is Rocky (thus named because he was over 9lbs at birth) - his real name is Walter. Everyone except for family calls him Walter.
    Nicknames are fine. Especially family nicknames. But some people need to think before they put names on legal documents.

BTW, the nickname my family calls me is a doozie.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    People need to remember that. You really aren't naming a kid. They will only be a kid for 18 years. They are going to have to be an adult with that name for 70 years.

Yeah, a girl in my kids' class is named "Precious".. Note, that's her real name, not a nickname. It might be cute now, but what about when the kid grows up?

Our litmus test was how the name sounded being announced at a graduation commencement.

If its greeted with snickers and giggles, then you probably want to rethink it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

My first-born shall be named...Martin Joseph Boyd. Marty Joe Boyd for short.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Our litmus test was how the name sounded being announced at a graduation commencement.

If its greeted with snickers and giggles, then you probably want to rethink it.
    One of my litmus tests was how it would sound at Riverfront.

I'm not kidding. "Batting 4th for the Reds, the 3rd baseman, creek juniorrrrrrrrr."

7. Tyler
    Dammit. I thought I had an original one.

Pfft.

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    We have a tradition in my family where we name the oldest son after the first name of the father's father and then the middle name is the last name of the mother's family.

My dad's first name was Benito. My mother's last name was Mussilino. They decided against naming me Benito Mussilino.
    Is your mother's name Carla ....lol :gac:

"..well except Matthew..Matthew is a rocking name "

I agree

Aiden was the name of one of Sarah Jessica Parker's boyfriends on Sex in the City (played by John Corbett). I also heard it somewhere else within the past week (on tv or in a book) but can't remember where.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

we chose zachary paul because it is strong and it grows up well. he got his middle name from my grandfather whose name was gene paul, and my mom who is paula gene.

i loved the name braden, but that got shot down very quickly. i always swore i would never name my child after someone, but then it became important once i had him.

it's very hard to choose a name. i never imagined!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I just ran across this cool interactive Java tool that graphs the US popularity of hundreds of baby names from 1900-present. Takes a few seconds to load, but it's worth the wait.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html
    /r/reds

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

My brother had a son in 2004, (well, his wife did technically, but you know what I mean,) and they named it Finnegan Patrick. We have an Irish last name, so it's not too bad, but that's probably not a name I would have chosen. Anyway, my wife and I are expecting in August and we have not decided on a name yet. For each of my children there has been a lot of discussion and thought and eventually one name just seems to be the 'right' one. Weird, huh? My first two are daughters and we had chosen male names for them (which we didn't use) in addition to female names, but I never feel that I'd like to use those names again either. Any opinions on this? Has anyone used a previously chosen name that wasn't used on a subsequent child?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I just ran across this cool interactive Java tool that graphs the US popularity of hundreds of baby names from 1900-present. Takes a few seconds to load, but it's worth the wait.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html
    That is a very cool site. Thanks for the link!

Turn Off Ads?