Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Baby Names of 2004

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Top Baby Names of 2004

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    That is a very cool site. Thanks for the link!
    With that site, I discovered that my name, my wife's name, my dad's name and her mother's name all peaked in the years we were born. That was kind of eerie.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    With that site, I discovered that my name, my wife's name, my dad's name and her mother's name all peaked in the years we were born. That was kind of eerie.
    I noticed the same thing for the names I looked up. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Mr creek wanted to name creek jr "Arthur". Arthur?!?! I wanted to name him "Chase". We rejected each others choices.

He also nixed Simeon and Cameron. My mom gave a big :thumbdown to Ian. She had been a 1st grade teacher for 30 years and said on the playgound the other kids would call him Peein' Ian.
    In college my friends and I used to show our appreciation of something done well by jamming the name Arthur in between a person's first and last name. For instance, if Joe Davis hit a 20-footer to seal up a pickup basketball game you'd point at him and call him "Joseph Arthur Davis!"

On a separate note, a kernel of wisdom handed down from my mother is to never tell anyone (not your mother, not your best friend, not your children) what you're going to name your coming child. Everyone thinks they've got a say in the matter. Once the baby arrives and everyone learns the name, they'll either come ot like the name or keep their traps shut if they don't.
    Last edited by M2; 02-13-2005 at 01:47 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

When we decided on the name Landon, my wife's family (not altogether sane to begin with) begged us to reconsider because it was a feminine name and that he would be more likely to wind up gay. I can't make this stuff up. That my wife came through that family so normal and level headed is one of the truly great modern marvels.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I knew a woman who named her kid Rocky. Not a nickname, that's his real name. Rocky?
    I also knew a femal Rocky. And to make things better, she married a guy named Cliff. I'm dead serious. I used to know them well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    When we decided on the name Landon, my wife's family (not altogether sane to begin with) begged us to reconsider because it was a feminine name and that he would be more likely to wind up gay.
    By for a Y chromosome, my name would have been Rachel. My mother's mother decided that sounded like a black sharecropper's name (yes, grandma was a racist). You can tell a lot about a person's socio-economic standing by their racism. Had my family come from higher on the food chain, grandma surely would have gone off on an anti-Semitic jag. Anyway, that's where my mother devised the no-tell policy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

My great-grandparents wanted me to be named Theodosia, after my great-grandmother. My parents thought better of it. I will use Theodosia for a screen name sometimes, just because, but I am grateful I didn't grow up with it.

My sister would bounce names off of us when she was expecting the twins. Knowing my sister would do what she wanted anyway, we answered honestly, though respectfully.

She named them Andrew and Riley (both boys). She doesn't want Andrew to be called Andy, though. We'll see if that works out. I notice from the chart that there are more girls named Riley these days than boys. Hope that doesn't come back and haunt him later.

Nothing wrong with the name Landon, MWM. (Not that it matters what I think. Just saying. )

After a co-worker had her son, she asked someone to e-mail everyone in the office for opinions. She wanted to name him Ja'lil. To go with her older son Ka'lil. Imagine the feedback she got from that. She settled on Bryce.
    Last edited by SandyD; 02-13-2005 at 12:52 PM.

As a female I would have been named Heather...I really lucked out
    Go Gators!

My parents hated the name game. They had yet to decide on names when I came along. They "stole" my name from my mom's hospital roommate. They had a boy, but had selected Sandra for a girl. My parents decided they liked it, and here I am.

I asked them what "boy" name they had in mind, and they had none. But at one point they decided to take a name from the first page and the last page in the baby book. That was Archibald Zebedee in the book they had, so they "threatened" me with that.

I was going to be named Jason if I were a boy. Two years after I was born, my aunt had a baby boy and named him Jason ... thus ruining my parents' "boy name." I think that is why people should keep baby names to themselves, so no one can steal them!

My father tried to name my twin sister and I Bruce Wayne and Sally Jane, but a nurse in the Madison, Indiana, hospital wherein we were born decided to wait until my mother woke up so as to verify these choices.

But for the common sense of one nurse, I'd be Batman.

People need to remember that. You really aren't naming a kid. They will only be a kid for 18 years. They are going to have to be an adult with that name for 70 years.

I knew a woman who named her kid Rocky. Not a nickname, that's his real name. Rocky?
    A couple of brothers I went to high school with had the real first names of Rocky and Stony. I always wondered if their sister was named Pebbles.
    A few years ago I defended a personal injury suit filed by Stony-he told me his sister wasn't named Pebbles or any other "rock" name.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

What does everyone think about the Saven? Or Soda?

I think I'd avoid giving a child a name that was difficult to spell or a name with punctuation.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    In college my friends and I used to show our appreciation of something done well by jamming the name Arthur in between a person's first and last name. For instance, if Joe Davis hit a 20-footer to seal up a pickup basketball game you'd point at him and call him "Joseph Arthur Davis!"
    Small world, we did the same thing with Q. If we were watching the same game, we were all yelling Joe Q. Davis!

On a separate note, a kernel of wisdom handed down from my mother is to never tell anyone (not your mother, not your best friend, not your children) what you're going to name your coming child. Everyone thinks they've got a say in the matter. Once the baby arrives and everyone learns the name, they'll either come ot like the name or keep their traps shut if they don't.
    Sage advice. One of my buddies told her mother-in-law they were CONSIDERING naming their baby after someone in the MIL's family. Went with something else, caught considerable grief for their decision.

Another of my buddies gave everyone their top boys/girls name. When they had a girl, one of our other friends had a boy and "stole" their boy name.

Not to mention, if you tell everyone you want to name your child xxxx they will bore you to death with stories of the xxxx that they know, few of them flattering.

GL

Turn Off Ads?