Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarterback Question

Hybrid View

Quarterback Question

Anybody out there who saw yesterday's game who would still take Manning over Brady?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Quarterback Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Anybody out there who saw yesterdays's game who would still take Manning over Brady?
    Depends on a few things....

* Inside or outside?
    * If you could choose to have the rest of the Patriots team around either one, who would you take? (I think this is called apples-to-apples!).

There is no doubt in my mind who the better pure QB is... Manning.

There is also no doubt who benefits more from having a complete team and organization around him... Brady.

What do you think would happen if Peyton got to run the same Pats team? It would be downright scary!!!

Not to belittle Tom Brady at all. He serves the Pats greatly and is a good QB. Tom Brady deserves plenty(!!) of accolades. However, I don't think he is the pure QB that Peyton Manning is. I truly believe that Manning is a notch above all QBs in the NFL at this time.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Depends on a few things....
    Wrong- it just depends on the rings. Not about the rest of the team, not about apples and oranges. 41 points in subzero weather against the best defense in the NFL. 8 playoff wins in a row and counting. Did you see the first TD pass he threw? I could care less about the Patriots, but I've got to give credit where it is due- Brady is a great quarterback.

Wrong- it just depends on the rings. Not about the rest of the team, not about apples and oranges. 41 points in subzero weather against the best defense in the NFL. 8 playoff wins in a row and counting. Did you see the first TD pass he threw? I could care less about the Patriots, but I've got to give credit where it is due- Brady is a great quarterback.
    Wrong? I hate to disagree, but I totally disagree with what you have said. Do you think rings are given to individuals or to teams? Do you think individuals tend to be the deciding factor in getting that ring or teams? I doubt that the rest of the Pats would appreciate that you seem to think one guy is the reason for all those playoff wins. But... that was not your original question. Your original question was "who would you take, Manning or Brady?" My answer was Manning b/c he is a better pure QB. Put him as the Pats starter and I guarantee you that there would not be any additional losses to the Pats record of the past 4 years.

Brady is a great QB... but not as good as Peyton. And remember that all 41 points were not scored by the offense. And all 41 points were not on the board only b/c of Tom Brady.

Randy Moss may be the best WR in the game... rings? Zero.
    Willie Anderson might be one of the best left tackles int he game... rings? Zero.

Team. And if I had the best team in the NFL, I'd prefer Peyton Manning at QB. And I am not a big Peyton fan. Hard to argue with what the Pats have done w/ Tom Brady, but I'd bet that most GMs in the NFL would disagree with you too.

Kevin Faulk has 2 rings, is he the best RB in the league?

When I say its all about the rings, I'm only talking about the quarterback position. Wide receivers and runningbacks don't dominate the game like a quarterback does. Obviously defense is key and the team, not an individual, wins games, but can you seriously argue after watching Manning two weeks ago that he could put up 41 points against Pittsburg's defense in that weather like Brady did yesterday? Its not about how many TD pasees you can throw in October in a temperature controlled dome, and its not about how "pure" a pass you throw in practice. Its about how you play in a blizard against the Steelers on 1/23/05. This kid is one game away from his third superbowl ring and hes not even 25 years old. That not all coaching and defense, not by a long shot. I'm a lifelong Packer fan and I think Starr is the most underated football player who ever lived (and if you don't believe me, watch that game winning drive against the great Dallas defense in the ice bowl). But after watching Brady at Michigan and in the NFL, he is close to Starr. Its time to give this kid his due.

When I say its all about the rings, I'm only talking about the quarterback position. Wide receivers and runningbacks don't dominate the game like a quarterback does. Obviously defense is key and the team, not an individual, wins games, but can you seriously argue after watching Manning two weeks ago that he could put up 41 points against Pittsburg's defense in that weather like Brady did yesterday? Its not about how many TD pasees you can throw in October in a temperature controlled dome, and its not about how "pure" a pass you throw in practice. Its about how you play in a blizard against the Steelers on 1/23/05. This kid is one game away from his third superbowl ring and hes not even 25 years old. That not all coaching and defense, not by a long shot. I'm a lifelong Packer fan and I think Starr is the most underated football player who ever lived (and if you don't believe me, watch that game winning drive against the great Dallas defense in the ice bowl). But after watching Brady at Michigan and in the NFL, he is close to Starr. Its time to give this kid his due.
    FWIW, Brady is 27, not 24. And while Brady is good, you can't overlook the fact that the Pats defense got 4 turnovers off of Pittsburgh last night (one of which was an INT returned for a TD), which helps a lot. I'm sure it's a lot easier to succeed as an NFL QB if your defense is getting turnovers and stealing any momentum from the other team. Brady fits that system well, though. He's a smart QB who doesn't make mistakes. From a talent standpoint, though, I wouldn't say he is better than Manning.

I'm a lifelong Packer fan and I think Starr is the most underated football player who ever lived (and if you don't believe me, watch that game winning drive against the great Dallas defense in the ice bowl).
    A few years ago the NFL celebrated its 75th anniversary with a coffee table book that included "all decade" teams. The "all decade" QB for the 1960s was Johnny Unitas and the "all decade" QB for the 1970s was Terry Bradshaw. I disagreed with both picks, and there was an inherent inconsistency in those choices.
    For the decade of the 1970s, Roger Staubach had far superior passing statistics to those of Terry Bradshaw; the criteria for picking Bradshaw was apparently the fact that his team won 4 Super Bowls to the 2 won by Staubach's teams. However, if championships were to be the deciding factor, how was Unitas picked over Bart Starr as the QB of the 1960s? Unitas's passing stats for the 1960s were not better than Starr's-Johnny U. threw more often, but not any better, than Starr, and Starr lead Unitas in championships won by a 5 to 0 margin.
    If Bradshaw was the QB of the 1970s, despite having poorer stats than Staubach, solely because he "won" more titles, how was Unitas the QB of the 1960s, with stats no better than Starr, especially given that Unitas won no championships that decade to the five won by Starr's teams?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Wide receivers and runningbacks don't dominate the game like a quarterback does.
    Without at least decent WR's and a good running behind him, a really good QB looks really bad. Even though quarterback is the probably the most important role, the team around a QB dictates the QB's sucsess. The RB must get yards and WR's must make big plays. A defense that turns the ball over to allow the QB to do his work increases a quarterbacks sucsess as well. The entire team deservers credit for a QB's sucsess
    Weathers' W/L when I am attending (2009): 0-1

As RFA66 said, it is comparing apples to oranges. Joe Montana is considered a better QB than Dan Marino by a lot of people due to the championships he won. Problem is that Montana played for some of the greatest teams of all time. Marino played on teams that had him, two good recievers, and nothing else at all. Montana coudn't carry Marino's undergarment as a passer, though.

Comparing QBs is tough because of the different supporting casts each have, but the most impressive stat Brady has is he is undefeated in the postseason, 8-0 I believe. That is Bart Starr (9-1) territory.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

You can't say that Payton Manning would be a lot better with the Pats. Peyton Manning has an exelent team around him. Marvin Harrison, Ederin James, Wayne...So he already has a comlete team around him. Pats do have a better D though.
    Weathers' W/L when I am attending (2009): 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    You can't say that Payton Manning would be a lot better with the Pats. Peyton Manning has an exelent team around him. Marvin Harrison, Ederin James, Wayne...So he already has a comlete team around him. Pats do have a better D though.
    And that is key.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    Pats do have a better D though.
    A HUGE DIFF... as any NFL GM will tell you. As anyone who knows anything about football (pee-wee, high school, college or pro) will tell you.

So in that vein.... Manning must be better due to stats. Can't blame a QB when his defense blows a game or two. As we all know... wins and losses are not all relative to the QB and only the QB. Just ask Marino or Manning.

Brady may be the key type of QB for the Pats team. But in no way is a better pure QB than Manning. And the Indy team does not matchup well wgainst the Pats when talking 22 starters vs. 22 starters. Not even close... and the last four years show that. Brady is a great QB (don't want that lost in here), but IMO he is not as great as Manning.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

How many turnovers did the Steelers have yesterday?

While they certainly have a good offense, New England's defense is the reason they're headed to their third Super Bowl in four years.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Turn Off Ads?