Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarterback Question

Quarterback Question

Anybody out there who saw yesterday's game who would still take Manning over Brady?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Quarterback Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Anybody out there who saw yesterdays's game who would still take Manning over Brady?
    Depends on a few things....

* Inside or outside?
    * If you could choose to have the rest of the Patriots team around either one, who would you take? (I think this is called apples-to-apples!).

There is no doubt in my mind who the better pure QB is... Manning.

There is also no doubt who benefits more from having a complete team and organization around him... Brady.

What do you think would happen if Peyton got to run the same Pats team? It would be downright scary!!!

Not to belittle Tom Brady at all. He serves the Pats greatly and is a good QB. Tom Brady deserves plenty(!!) of accolades. However, I don't think he is the pure QB that Peyton Manning is. I truly believe that Manning is a notch above all QBs in the NFL at this time.

As RFA66 said, it is comparing apples to oranges. Joe Montana is considered a better QB than Dan Marino by a lot of people due to the championships he won. Problem is that Montana played for some of the greatest teams of all time. Marino played on teams that had him, two good recievers, and nothing else at all. Montana coudn't carry Marino's undergarment as a passer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Depends on a few things....
    Wrong- it just depends on the rings. Not about the rest of the team, not about apples and oranges. 41 points in subzero weather against the best defense in the NFL. 8 playoff wins in a row and counting. Did you see the first TD pass he threw? I could care less about the Patriots, but I've got to give credit where it is due- Brady is a great quarterback.

Comparing QBs is tough because of the different supporting casts each have, but the most impressive stat Brady has is he is undefeated in the postseason, 8-0 I believe. That is Bart Starr (9-1) territory.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

You can't say that Payton Manning would be a lot better with the Pats. Peyton Manning has an exelent team around him. Marvin Harrison, Ederin James, Wayne...So he already has a comlete team around him. Pats do have a better D though.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    You can't say that Payton Manning would be a lot better with the Pats. Peyton Manning has an exelent team around him. Marvin Harrison, Ederin James, Wayne...So he already has a comlete team around him. Pats do have a better D though.
    And that is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Wrong- it just depends on the rings. Not about the rest of the team, not about apples and oranges. 41 points in subzero weather against the best defense in the NFL. 8 playoff wins in a row and counting. Did you see the first TD pass he threw? I could care less about the Patriots, but I've got to give credit where it is due- Brady is a great quarterback.
    Wrong? I hate to disagree, but I totally disagree with what you have said. Do you think rings are given to individuals or to teams? Do you think individuals tend to be the deciding factor in getting that ring or teams? I doubt that the rest of the Pats would appreciate that you seem to think one guy is the reason for all those playoff wins. But... that was not your original question. Your original question was "who would you take, Manning or Brady?" My answer was Manning b/c he is a better pure QB. Put him as the Pats starter and I guarantee you that there would not be any additional losses to the Pats record of the past 4 years.

Brady is a great QB... but not as good as Peyton. And remember that all 41 points were not scored by the offense. And all 41 points were not on the board only b/c of Tom Brady.

Randy Moss may be the best WR in the game... rings? Zero.
    Willie Anderson might be one of the best left tackles int he game... rings? Zero.

Team. And if I had the best team in the NFL, I'd prefer Peyton Manning at QB. And I am not a big Peyton fan. Hard to argue with what the Pats have done w/ Tom Brady, but I'd bet that most GMs in the NFL would disagree with you too.

In my opinion, Dan Marino was the greatest QB in the history of the game, even though he doesn't have as many rings as Joe Montana, John Elway, or Tom Brady among others.

I, too, think Peyton is a better QB than Brady. That doesn't take anything away from Tom Brady, who is a great QB, it just means that Peyton is more talented and gifted than Brady. I think even Tom Brady would tell you that Peyton is a better QB.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    Pats do have a better D though.
    A HUGE DIFF... as any NFL GM will tell you. As anyone who knows anything about football (pee-wee, high school, college or pro) will tell you.

So in that vein.... Manning must be better due to stats. Can't blame a QB when his defense blows a game or two. As we all know... wins and losses are not all relative to the QB and only the QB. Just ask Marino or Manning.

Brady may be the key type of QB for the Pats team. But in no way is a better pure QB than Manning. And the Indy team does not matchup well wgainst the Pats when talking 22 starters vs. 22 starters. Not even close... and the last four years show that. Brady is a great QB (don't want that lost in here), but IMO he is not as great as Manning.

How many turnovers did the Steelers have yesterday?

While they certainly have a good offense, New England's defense is the reason they're headed to their third Super Bowl in four years.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Manning=Marino
    Great quarterbacks underrated because of the tema they are on.

Tom Brady is the best qb in the NFL. In fact I don't even think it's close. The BEST QB to me means the guy that gives his team the best chance to win, and I don't see how anyone can argue against Brady.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Wrong- it just depends on the rings. Not about the rest of the team
    No, it's completely about the rest of the team. Like RFA1966 said, *teams* win championships, not individual players.

Here's a question to consider: Would the Patriots be an even better team with Peyton Manning at QB instead of Brady? I think it's pretty clear that they would.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If I was playing fantasy football, I'd choose Manning/Marino in a heartbeat. In a real game, I'd be hard-pressed to pass up Brady/Montana.

With the way the Patriots are constructed/managed, Brady often has to make big plays in pressure situations. The thing about Brady is, when his team needs a big play in the 4th quarter, he finds a way to make it happen.

Peyton rarely has to face 'pressure' situations since they Colts usually are blowing people out. However, when he does face a pressure situation, he has fallen on his face more often than not. That trend dates back all the way to his college career when he just couldn't get past Steve Spurrier's Gators.

It kind of reminds me of the old Greg Maddux versus Jon Smoltz arguments in baseball. There was no question that Maddux would put up better numbers every year and was BY FAR the superior pitcher in the regular season. But in a big game, Smoltz was the guy you wanted on the mound. Same thing goes for Andy Pettite versus the superstar starting pitcher du jour on the Yankees. Pettite was always the middle of the rotation guy until the postseason rolled around, then Clemens/Mussina/Wells all took a backseat to the unspectacular southpaw.

Turn Off Ads?