Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quarterback Question

Re: Quarterback Question

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Oh, and I think Brady would flounder against a Belichick-designed Patriot defense just like Manning did.
    I think he'd put up more than three points, particularly when that defense was missing Ty Law, Richard Seymour, and one other starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tom Brady has managed to post the 7th highest QB rating in the history of the NFL without ever having an All-Pro skill position player at his side. To me, thats pretty amazing. Saying Brady has Kitna-like numbers is pretty unfair. In fact, I think Brady's ability as a QB is overshadowed because NE has had so much success.

The difference I see is that if you are choosing between the two in a game with perfect conditions either inside or outdoors, it's a pick-em between Manning and Brady. Slight edge to Manning, perhaps. But if you are choosing between the two in a game where it's snowing or cold or raining, you have to go with Brady. And Brady's success isn't because of the defense or the line ofr the running game. The last two weeks he was completing passes Manning and Big Ben couldn't even dream of completing under those conditions. Peyton's the perfect QB for a Pro Bowl game in Hawaii where the defensive rules are relaxed and he has All-Pros to throw to and is playing behind an All-Pro offensive line. And perhaps he could win an AFC championship game under the right conditions. But if I want a QB to get to the Super Bowl where you may have to play under conditions which are not ideal and even horrible, I'd go with Brady. All good Bengals fans remember the Freezer Bowl in 1982 where the Bengals beat the snot out of the Chargers. The week before in Miami where it was humid but still not inclement weather Fouts had a great game. The next week, Anderson had the better game. Was Anderson a more talented QB than Fouts? Probably not but he could perform well in all kinds of conditions. And no matter how talented a QB is, he should have to win under all kinds of conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232
    Tom Brady has managed to post the 7th highest QB rating in the history of the NFL without ever having an All-Pro skill position player at his side. To me, thats pretty amazing. Saying Brady has Kitna-like numbers is pretty unfair. In fact, I think Brady's ability as a QB is overshadowed because NE has had so much success.
    Look at Brady's numbers from 2003 and look at Kitna's. They're nearly identical. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the QB rating simply because the style of play has changed a lot over the years, and today's passing offenses tend to play towards creating higher ratings. If you look at the QB ratings of some Hall of Fame QBs they're terrible, but that's because they were playing in much lower percentage schemes, as opposed to today's steady diet of high percentage six yard slants.

Oh, I agree that Kitna's numbers from 2003 are comparable to Brady's, but that has proved to be the exception for Kitna rather than the norm. Again, I think its misleading and unfair to Brady to say he puts up Kitna-like numbers.

Brady is a very good QB who has an uncanny ability to perform at his best when the stakes are highest. To me that is why he will always be better than someone like Manning. manning hasn't been able to win the big game since he took over at Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I think he'd put up more than three points, particularly when that defense was missing Ty Law, Richard Seymour, and one other starter.
    I know people may disagree with this, but the players didnt make as much of a difference in the outcome of either game as much as Bill Belicheck did.

This team is a far cry from the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who had a face on defense you would recognize(Sapp and Ray Lewis).

As far as Brady/Manning, I agree with Roy. Switch the Colts and Patriots offenses, and the Patriots would still win because of their defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Speaking of good quarterbacks, don't sell this guy McNab short. 4th and 26, I think about it once a day. 7 points may be too many.

Turn Off Ads?