Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ABC's 1st Choice for TO's Character in the racy MNF skit?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

ABC's 1st Choice for TO's Character in the racy MNF skit?

I laughed out loud when I read this one

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Towel-gate continues
    ABC says Madden was first choice for Owens skit
    Posted: Sunday January 23, 2005 9:51PM; Updated: Monday January 24, 2005 12:10AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- ABC's first choice for the infamous Monday Night Football dropped towel episode wasn't Terrell Owens -- it was announcer John Madden.

For reasons that are unclear, Madden couldn't find the time to perform for the skit. Owens, the Philadelphia Eagles receiver, filled in for him in the steamy sketch that drew viewer protests and a network apology, said ABC entertainment president Stephen McPherson on Sunday.

In the spoof that preceded the football game Nov. 15, Desperate Housewives actress Nicollette Sheridan persuaded Owens to skip the game by dropping the towel wrapped around her and jumping into his arms.

ABC initially thought it would be funny to have the, uh, less attractive Madden as the subject of Sheridan's ardor, McPherson said.

The towel-dropping was another last-minute addition to the script that plainly backfired, said Marc Cherry, executive producer of Desperate Housewives, who helped write it.

Cherry said it was all a mistake. But he and McPherson both said they were surprised at the reaction.

"I feel really bad about it," Cherry said. "I didn't want to upset people. I didn't realize that Monday Night Football was such a family viewing experience. I wouldn't let my 5-year-old watch beer commercials with big-busted cheerleaders, but that's just me."

Sheridan, appearing before television writers Sunday, said the purpose was simply to amuse people.

"Taking a pop culture incident like that and having it take precedence over the underlying problems of the world was absurd," Sheridan said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ABC's 1st Choice for TO's Character in the racy MNF skit?

Saw this earlier, Madden seemed like a better fit than Owens. IMO, he probably knew what would happen and didnt want any part of it, even though he wont come out and say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

How about Madden jumping into Nicollette Sheridan's arms? That would've been fun.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Maybe Madden's train schedule didn't allow for him to do this?
    /r/reds

I'm glad Madden wasn't the one dropping the towel.

There would have been significantly less controversy about the event if Madden had done it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I'm glad Madden wasn't the one dropping the towel.
    It would take an awfully big towel to cover Madden.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It would have gone from racy to interminable.

"Look here! There's this girl in my arms! Right here! Look! See? She jumps! Boom. That's the kind of thing girls can do."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Not a bad idea
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?