Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music

Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music

What are the biggest lies ever set to music? I'll throw out a couple of nominees, just to get the ball rolling:

All you need is love. Love is all you need. (This whopper told by Lennon and McCartney. I've never met a landlord or finance company who would take "love" for a monthly payment. Can you depend on "love" for your nutritional needs?)

Love hurts. (I think it was Nazareth who said this. Shouldn't it be that unreciprocated love hurts? Nazareth should have been clearer about what they meant.)

Okay, those are the first two that come to my mind. Yours?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

The Beatles themselves demonstrated that "love was not all you need" in their own lives. Much truer IMO was the song "Without Love" sang, by among others, Elvis Presley: "Without love I am nothing." Love is not ALL you need, but without love, nothing else matters, a truth expressed by Paul in his letters to the Corinthians.
    Other lies set to music--how about "Everything Is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens? Many things are beautiful, but some things are terribly ugly.
    In "San Quentin," Johnny Cash concluded before an audience of inmates that San Quentin had "done no good." Well, without a doubt there are reforms needed in our prison system, but keeping convicted murderers, rapists and thieves off the streets seems to be "good" to me.
    One of the dumber lines ever set to music was in Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender" when the Boss sings "We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school." I sure hope not.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Any Michael Jackson song where he claims to be in love with an adult female.

Any Hank Williams, Junior song where he claims to have had a working class rural existence.
    Last edited by Hap; 01-25-2005 at 08:35 AM.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Any Michael Jackson song where he claims to be in love with an adult female.
    :MandJ: Like Billie Jean? Or was it Billy Gene?!??!

Biggest Lies Ever Set To Music
    Hands down... Milli Vanilli. Wait... not exactly what macro meant. Lucky for you, Ashlee.

For anyone who has been to a bar in the last 20 years... you know good ol' Joan Jett was full of it when she sang, "Put another dime in the jukebox baby." A dime? You had better put 9 more of those suckers in the machine if want to hear just one song.

Def Leppard... Too Late For Love. Since when? As far as I am concerned it is never too late for love. It could be 6:00 am, after staying up the whole night, and I feel it is the perfect time for love. She wants love... I am here. Doesn't matter how late it is.

Any Judas Priest song that references love. I used to worship the band and their singer, Rob Halford, back in the day. Coming to Dayton or Cincy in concert... I was there. Now that Rob has gone public, I just kind of squirm when I get out the old CDs and hear a reference to love. Rob has every right to sing. But the words just don't mean the same thing to me anymore. However, I must admit... I'd still go see 'em live if in the area. K.K., Glenn & Rob... awesome rockers. The lyrics just aren't the same anymore!

Black Sabbath had a song on their Heaven & Hell album called Lady Evil. I am not sure about the rest of you guys... but I have never met a lady who was or could be evil. You feel the same, right?

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Love hurts. (I think it was Nazareth who said this. Shouldn't it be that unreciprocated love hurts? Nazareth should have been clearer about what they meant.)
    You do realize that the original title for this song was "Size Does Matter".

Two that come to mind?

"Hope I die before I get old"- My Generation (Pete Townsend)

and

"It's better to burn out then fade away"- Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young)

As John Lennon once said in an interview... "Then why didn't they do it if that is what they believe?"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

"Mama, I'm Coming Home"... by Ozzy Osbourne.

I am sure that the vast majority of us have come to realize, thanks to The Osbournes, that lovable Ozzy couldn't find his way out of a wet paperbag. We are supposed to believe that Ozzy can actually find his way home w/out Mama or someone guiding him or holding his hand (like Sharon does on the TV show)? Please!

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Can you depend on "love" for your nutritional needs?
    Well, for protein, maybe.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

"Last Dance with Mary Jane, one more time to ease the pain" -- Somehow, I doubt that was Tom Petty's last dance with MJ.

"Safety Dance" looks awfully dangerous with all those people running around with choking-hazard ribbons all over the place.

"Stayin' Alive" - The Bee Gees

"American Badass" - Kid Rock
    Makes all the routine posts.

"MacArthur Park" - someone left a cake out in the rain? Not on my watch, brutha!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Pete Townshend line is the biggest truth i've ever known. But once I hopefully get older i'm sure that will change
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Stat geek...and proud

LOL @ Judas Priest lyrics. Especially Turbo Lover.
    Disclaimer: I'm a huge Judas Priest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    The Pete Townshend line is the biggest truth i've ever known. But once I hopefully get older i'm sure that will change
    You scooped me on that one...how about another Townshend line: "The sea refuses no river...." (From All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes)

Turn Off Ads?