Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must have 80s metal albums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bomarl1969

Must have 80s metal albums

Just came over from metal-sludge.com and I thought this would make for an interesting thread.

1. Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil and Girls, Girls, Girls
    2. G N R-Appitite for Destruction
    3. Megadeth-Any album from their 80s albums
    4. Van Halen-II, Fair Warning, Women & Children First, 5150
    5. Metallica-Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets
    6. Ozzy-Dairy of a Madman and the Ultimate Sin
    7. AC/DC-Back in Black, Who Made Who
    8. Tesla-The Great Radio Contraversy
    9. Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime
    10. Def Leppard-High n' Dry and Pyromania
    11. Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet
    12. W.A.S.P.
    13. Poison-Look What the Cat Dragged In
    14. Whitesnake
    15. Kiss-Creatures of the Night

Re: Must have 80s metal albums

Umm... I own "And Justice For all." That's about it, though.

Bon Jovi is metal? I mean, I don't know much about the genre, but ... Bon Jovi? Really? I always thought he was kind of a sissy.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I always thought he was kind of a sissy.
    No you're right, Bon Jovi is a sissy, but I still like his music. This was a tough decade for music. You really have to appreciate these artist as musicians and their music, not the spandex, hair spray, and makeup.

1. Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction (1987) - The quintessential '80s metal album, and the first death knell for all style no substance 'hair bands'. Nirvana would finish the job with the 1991 release of Nevermind.

2. Metallica: Master of Puppets (1986) - The most prolific metal band of all time at their peak. Takes a backseat in terms of sales to their self-titled 1991 release, but make no mistake about it, THIS is their masterpiece.

3. AC/DC: Back in Black (1980) - This tribute to deceased singer Bon Scott launches the Brian Johnson era for the bad boys from down under.

4. Ozzy Osbourne: Blizzard of Oz (1980) - The legend hits a homerun with his first solo effort.

5. Motorhead: Ace of Spades (1980) - The best album released in the '80s by the fastest band in the land.

6. Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast (1982) - The 'maiden' voyage for new singer Bruce Dickenson launches the band into the stratosphere.

7. Megadeth: Peace Sells ... But Who is Buying? (1986) - Far superior to the bands first effort, 'Peace' does indeed sell.

8. Metallica: Kill 'em All (1983) - The first and only Metallica album featuring the original lineup with Dave Mustaine.

9. Black Sabbath: Heaven & Hell (1980) - The forefathers of modern metal find a capable replacement for Ozzy in former Elf/Rainbow lead singer Ronnie James Dio. By far the best album of the post-Ozzie era.

10. Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil (1983) - Much as I hate 'hair metal', this album is important because it brought metal into the mainstream.

Some of the bands on the original list are fantastic, but I don't consider 'em 'metal' bands (Van Halen). Some of the bands just sucked balls (all the LA hair metal bands). I really wanted to get some Judas Priest on the list, but all of their best work was done in the 70s.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 01-25-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Creatures of the Night???!!!???
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    8. Tesla-The Great Radio Contraversy
    One of the last great albums of that era, along with the Use Your Illusion set by GnR, right before Seattle took over. This one was released in early '89 but much of its success spilled over into 1990. The most unfortunate thing about Tesla is that they get wrongly lumped into the 80s hair metal genre, when they shouldn't be.

bomarl, do you have their latest CD "Into the Now"? Not bad...not bad at all. If this CD had come out in 1988, it would have been a huge seller. As it is, I assume it got overlooked by most.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Stat geek...and proud

"Into the Now" rocks.
    Operation:Mindcrime should be higher on that list.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    "Into the Now" rocks.
    Operation:Mindcrime should be higher on that list.
    They were in no particular order. Into the now does rock. Many bands that came out in the late 80s early 90s did not deserve to be classified as an 80s hair band or a 90s grunge band. i.e. Tesla, Queensryche, Alice in Chains, Type O Negative.

Loved Steve4192's list.

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind; The first time ever that a metal album debuted at #1 on Billboards top 100.

Tesla - I like Psychotic Supper better than the Great Radio Controversy

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

GnR - Appetite For Destruction

Come on, how could you forget 'Rella?

Ya don't know whatcha gaaat till it's goooone!!!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Must have 80s metal albums
    Oxymoron.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

strange.

I opened this thread and expected to see blank space.

Hmph.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Any Metal list without one Maiden album is hooey. Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind at the very least.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Judas Priest - British Steel
    School's out. What did you expect?

Can we call this "Records that suck"? Thank God Nirvana blew most of these bands into retirement.

Turn Off Ads?