Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Must have 80s metal albums

Re: Must have 80s metal albums

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    Hear, hear! I has a post typed to this effect (less succinct), but macro says it well. My gosh, these are people's OPINIONS! I like a lot of the music mentioned here and I like a lot of the music those putting down the music mentioned here seem to like...and I like a whole lot more and dislike a bunch of stuff too.

FWIW, opening a thread with this clear title and posting how that music sucks makes zero sense to me. bomarl obviously likes this kind music. Posting derogatory comments about it in the thread he started is pretty sad.

My list
    1) "Back in Black" - AC/DC (wore out 2 8-tracks of this, then bought it on vinyl so I could just keep making cassettes, then the dinosaurs would eat those)

2) "Shout at the Devil " - Motely Crue - (as a small town country kid, buying this album (on vinyl again) and listening to it over and over was really out of place on our HS. And I bet hardly anyone knew I was listening to that stuff back then...

3) "High'n'Dry" - Def Leppard - just finally got this on CD, but the opening guitar to the title track still brings back memories...

4) "Appetite for Destruction" - Guns n Roses - I can still hear the opening to Paradise City coming from our apartment stereo about 9 in the AM on a sunny football Saturday

5) "Skid Row" - Skid Row - I absolutley loved this album and still even though I probably have not listened to it for years could sing every word. I agress with previous poster's comment about Sebastian Bach - he has an incredible voice.

6) "Night Songs" - Cinderella - if foir nothing else for the song "Shake ME" which I played over and over again. Plus it intoduced me to Tom Keifer, whose voice for whatever reason I have always liked.

7) "Slave to the Grind" - Skid Row - probably a bit better album then their 1st release. Had a harder edge to it which I liked.

8) "Fair Warning" - VH - By far my favorite Van Halen album of all time. Another 8-track I wore to the bones...

9) "Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden - As a small town country boy I was always almost afraid of these albums in teh Camelot music store at the nearest "big city" (Lima) mall! But I took a turn one time, and my fears subsided. The cover artwork just does not have the same affect on a little tiny jewel case....

10) Hard to leave Queensrych out of this. And I agree "Operation : Mindcrime" is probably the best. But to truly personalize this list for me, I'd have to put "The Warning" here instead. I learned every word Geoff Tate had to for this one...and there were a lot of words...

And now I listen to a lot of country, folk, whatever, e.g. Indigo Girls, Buffett, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Nanci Griffith, et al but I still like what I liked then too, and a whole lot more...
    Bucksfan, On Slave To The Grind, the song "In A Darkened Room", I thought that the combo of Bach's vocals and Scotti Hill's guitar work were absolutely amazing. I'm normally not a fan of ballads, but this one was so over the top. With Tom Keifer, I didn't like his vocals on Night Songs that much but on Long Cold Winter I really felt that he was in his element with that bluesy sound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with you D-man. The bluesy-rock was very much present on "Long Cold Winter". Looking back, I am pretty sure I listened to "LCW" much more than "Night Songs" overall. Good call. Keifer wrote a song to him Mom, "Hard to Find the Words", which is really another ballad but it hit home for me as well, so I guess I have always just liked what he wrote. I can truly understand some who say his voice can kinda grate on their ears, but to me, especailly as you say in the bluesy realm, it works pretty well.

As my tastes have changed, mostly due to natural changing life situations, I can still listen to an album like "Long Cold Winter" pretty much any time.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

'Rella was my favorite of all the hair metal bands.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

A through D

Savatage
    Sirens (1983)
    The Dungeons are Calling (1984)
    Hall of the Mountain King (1987)
    Gutter Ballet (1989)

Megadeth
    Killing is my Business...and Business is Good! (1985)
    Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?! (1986)
    So Far, So Good...So What?! (1988)

Slayer
    Haunting the Chapel (1984)
    Hell Awaits (1985)
    Reign in Blood (1986)
    Live Undead (1987)

Metallica
    Kill 'em All (1983)
    Ride the Lightning (1984)
    Master of Puppets (1986)

Accept
    Breaker (1981)
    Restless and Wild (1982)
    Balls to the Walls (1983)
    Metal Heart (1985)

Alice Cooper
    Flush the Fashion (1980)
    Da Da (1983)
    Constrictor (1986)
    Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987)
    Trash (1989)

Angel Dust
    To Dust You Will Decay (1988)

Angel Witch
    Angel Witch (1980)

Anthrax
    Fistful of Metal (1983)
    Among the Living (1987)
    State of Euphoria (1988)

Armored Saint
    Saints Will Conquer, Live (1988)

Black Sabbath
    Mob Rules (1981)

Blind Guardian
    Follow the Blind (1989)

Candlemass
    Nightfall (1987)
    Ancient Dreams (1988)

Coroner
    R.I.P. (1987)
    Punishment for Decadence (1988)

Danzig
    Danzig (1988)

Death
    Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
    Leprosy (1988)

Death Angel
    The Ultra-Violence (1987)
    Frolic Through the Park (1988)

Diamond Head
    Lightning to the Oceans (1980)
    Borrowed Time (1982)
    Canterbury (1983)

Dio
    Holy Diver (1983)
    The Last in Line (1984)
    Sacred Heart (1985)
    Dream Evil (1987)

Dokken
    Dokken (1985)
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

E through G

Exodus
    Bonded By Blood (1985)
    Pleasures of the Flesh (1987)
    Fabulous Disaster (1989)

Exumer
    Rising From the Sea (1988)

Faith No More
    We Care A Lot (1985)
    The Real Thing (1989)

Fate's Warning
    Night on Broken (1984)
    Awaken the Guardian (1986)
    Perfect Symmetry (1989)

Flotsam & Jetsam
    Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986)

Grave Digger
    Heavy Metal Breakdown (1984)

Grim Reaper
    Fear No Evil (1983)

GWAR
    Hell-O (1988)
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I just like goo.

I have no idea what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    A through D

Savatage
    Sirens (1983)
    The Dungeons are Calling (1984)
    Hall of the Mountain King (1987)
    Gutter Ballet (1989)

Megadeth
    Killing is my Business...and Business is Good! (1985)
    Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?! (1986)
    So Far, So Good...So What?! (1988)

Slayer
    Haunting the Chapel (1984)
    Hell Awaits (1985)
    Reign in Blood (1986)
    Live Undead (1987)

Metallica
    Kill 'em All (1983)
    Ride the Lightning (1984)
    Master of Puppets (1986)
    sava, if I know my alphabet, and I think I do, these bands' names don't begin with A, B, C, or D.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    sava, if I know my alphabet, and I think I do, these bands' names don't begin with A, B, C, or D.

:

i started out doing it at random, but then i figured i forget too many that way.

H through L

Helloween
    Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1 (1987)
    Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 2 (1988)

Iron Maiden
    Killers (1981)
    The Number of the Beast (1982)
    Piece of Mind (1983)
    Powerslave (1984)
    Somewhere in Time (1986)
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

Judas Priest
    British Steel (1980)
    Screaming for Vengence (1982)
    Ram it Down (1988)

King Diamond
    Abigail (1987)
    Them (1988)

Kreator
    Pleasure to Kill (1987)

Leviticus
    Setting Fire to the Earth (1989)

I can't believe there is no mention of one of my favorite groups from the 7th or 8th grade: White Lion.

When the Children Cry, Wait, Tell Me, All You Need is Rock N' Roll, etc.

That was one of my favorite growing up. Can't say I'd really consider them "metal", but compared to some of the other bands that were mentioned, they belong.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 02-04-2005 at 10:19 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I can't believe there is no mention of one of my favorite groups from the 7th or 8th grade: White Lion.
    Ahh...White Lion.

They made their American debut as the on-screen band in "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long.

I really dug the guitar hooks on "Wait" and "Little Fighter".
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Ahh...White Lion.

They made their American debut as the on-screen band in "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long.

I really dug the guitar hooks on "Wait" and "Little Fighter".
    Those were my favorite songs by White Lion as well. I used to listen to Little Fighter to get me pumped up for baseball games in the 8th grade. :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Those were my favorite songs by White Lion as well. I used to listen to Little Fighter to get me pumped up for baseball games in the 8th grade. :MandJ:
    White Lion! The guy who plays guitar with me in a band still whips out White Lion tunes at practice. He and the singer like to do Wait & When The Children Cry when the rest of the band is taking a break. IIRC wasn't their guitarist named Vito Bratta or something like that? He was pretty decent talentwise, but didn't seem to get the acclaim that some of the other chump-guitarists got back in those days.

I remember when they came out w/ a cover of "Radar Love". I thought it was pretty jamming. It was when I first started playing guitar seriously and even learned the song. Not b/c of Golden Earring (I think it was them), but b/c of the White Lion cover.

Vito Bratta was a fantastic guitarist, but he was probably too ugly to market as a rock idol, and he sounded too much like Eddie Van Halen to be considered a pioneer. He sure could come up with some nice hooks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Vito Bratta was a fantastic guitarist, but he was probably too ugly to market as a rock idol, and he sounded too much like Eddie Van Halen to be considered a pioneer. He sure could come up with some nice hooks, though.
    Vito Bratta has been suffering from some sort of paralysis in his right hand the last couple of years. Really unfortunate as he was one of the most melodic players along with Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme to play the genre of "Hair Metal".

Turn Off Ads?