Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco considers fee on grocery bags

For a Level Playing Field

Re: San Francisco considers fee on grocery bags

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm in favor of a $0.17 tax on every "angry white guy" post on a message board.
    Sorry. Should I change my opinions for you? Nah...

Don't agree with me? Too bad. Just tax me or something. Sorry that I am angry if I do not agree with you. And from reading this board you must assume I am very angry all the time. I'll take that as a compliment... of coure! Me so happy!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The internet: the last bastion of anonymous hatred. All of the hate, all of the impunity...all of the time.
    I am sure President Bush would agree... don't ya think?

There are stores here that give you .05 off if you bring your own bag. A lot of people do it too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Retired

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AG0DB00F41.DTL

That article should give you some insight into the maturity level of the fine folks in charge of San Francisco.

But if you are a single mother with 3 kids trying to make ends meet on fifteen grand a year, it will definitely hurt.
    Its the "three kids" part that's an anomoly. I don't see many of those in this town.

Live in SF or have kids -- take your pick.

I thought about the regressiveness factor but you figure if you use five bags a week, that's 85 cents or $44.20 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AG0DB00F41.DTL

That article should give you some insight into the maturity level of the fine folks in charge of San Francisco.
    They must not be "angry white guys". Of course only "angry white guys" don't agree with taxing some plastic and paper products, but not all. Sounds fair, right? I'll let my friends on the other-side answer that. Perhaps instead of attacking they can actually address the issue. Tell us "angry white guys" why it is fair to tax some paper/plastic but not all? Why is a grocery paperbag any different than any other paper (does the brown color matter?)? I expect a "non-angry, non-white, non-sex" type of answer... and smoking reefer before answering is cheating!

Believe it or not... patience is on my side. So I will wait for your educated answers. Hard to believe that an "angry white guy" type can have patience... but so true.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    They must not be "angry white guys". Of course only "angry white guys" don't agree with taxing some plastic and paper products, but not all. Sounds fair, right? I'll let my friends on the other-side answer that. Perhaps instead of attacking they can actually address the issue. Tell us "angry white guys" why it is fair to tax some paper/plastic but not all? Why is a grocery paperbag any different than any other paper (does the brown color matter?)? I expect a "non-angry, non-white, non-sex" type of answer... and smoking reefer before answering is cheating!

Believe it or not... patience is on my side. So I will wait for your educated answers. Hard to believe that an "angry white guy" type can have patience... but so true.
    I never said I was in favor of the bag tax.

As for a response perhaps I missed the "educated" or "thoughtful" aspects of your original post, I guess they were lost in the sarcastic old man ranting.

I'm just worried about you having a stroke "friend". Maybe you ought to "light one up". You sure talk about it enough.

for the record, I'm not in favor of a "bag tax". I think it's regressive and somewhat arbitrary.

This is what happens when you let hippies congregate. I've been warning people for years.
    Don't forget that high-per-capita incomes, consistently high levels of tourism and the accolades of being one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Now the question is "what happens when you let hicks congregate?"

Answer: Branson, MO

Almost forgot,

now, now, children...once again a thread goes from educated debate to just this side of personal attacks. No, I'm not a mod here, and I'm fairly new so I don't really know all the personallities yet...but I do appreciate when people have the opportunity to intellegently exchange ideas, and I dislike people that act in such a way to have those opportunities taken from us.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Environmentalists say plastic bags jam machinery, pollute waterways, suffocate wildlife and often end up as eyesores in trees or bushes. San Francisco shoppers bring home about 50 million bags each year, according to an environmental study.
    Does anyone else doubt a study by environmentalists in California?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I don't.

I just don't think creating a tax on the bags is a good idea.

I lived in California for 19 years... so I'd say..... No.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I lived in California for 19 years... so I'd say..... No.
    But you're an environmentailst aren't you?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But you're an environmentailst aren't you?
    Yeah *shudder* that's me.

God knows we're a bunch of whack jobs.

Turn Off Ads?