Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

Them clothes got laundry numbers on 'em. You remember your number, and always wear the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box.
    These here spoons you keep with ya. Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box.

There's no playin' grab-ass or fightin' in the buildin'. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playin' grab-ass or fightin' in the buildin' spends a night in the box.

First bell is at five minutes of eight, when you will get in your bunk. Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends a night in the box.

There is no smokin' in bed in the prone position. To smoke, you must have both legs over the side of your bunk. Any man caught smokin' in bed in the prone position spends a night in the box.

You get two sheets. Every Saturday, you put the clean sheet on the top, the top sheet on the bottom. The bottom sheet you turn in to the laundry boy. Any man turns in the wrong sheet spends a night in the box.

No one will sit on the bunks with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sittin' on the bunks spends a night in the box.

Any man don't bring back his empty pop bottle spends a night in the box.

Any man loud talkin' spends a night in the box.

You got questions, you come to me. I'm Carr, the floor-walker. I'm responsible order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in the box.

Carr, the floor-walker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

webmaster@anti

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Them clothes got laundry numbers on 'em. You remember your number, and always wear the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box.
    These here spoons you keep with ya. Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box.

There's no playin' grab-ass or fightin' in the buildin'. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playin' grab-ass or fightin' in the buildin' spends a night in the box.

First bell is at five minutes of eight, when you will get in your bunk. Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends a night in the box.

There is no smokin' in bed in the prone position. To smoke, you must have both legs over the side of your bunk. Any man caught smokin' in bed in the prone position spends a night in the box.

You get two sheets. Every Saturday, you put the clean sheet on the top, the top sheet on the bottom. The bottom sheet you turn in to the laundry boy. Any man turns in the wrong sheet spends a night in the box.

No one will sit on the bunks with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sittin' on the bunks spends a night in the box.

Any man don't bring back his empty pop bottle spends a night in the box.

Any man loud talkin' spends a night in the box.

You got questions, you come to me. I'm Carr, the floor-walker. I'm responsible order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in the box.

Carr, the floor-walker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

webmaster@anti
    My feelings are so hurt.

Cool Hand Luke was a great movie.

Thing is, he couldn't come and go as he pleased, like we do here.

If you don't like the rules here, you're always free to start your own site and set your own rules.

Box and all.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

We have a box!?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I can eat 50 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Cool Hand Luke was a great movie.

Thing is, he couldn't come and go as he pleased, like we do here.

If you don't like the rules here, you're always free to start your own site and set your own rules.

Box and all.
    You're right. And if I don't like the rules here I'm free to criticize them. Democracy, ain't it great.

You're right. And if I don't like the rules here I'm free to criticize them. Democracy, ain't it great.

Yep. The admins and mods even set up this thread so you could.

In that vein, it's hilarious that you'd compare "the box" dialogue in CHL to rules to stop posters from personal attacks. Just my opinion, of course.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Why don't you actually list the rules you don't like then, and ways to improve them, rather than just trying to stir up trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    Why don't you actually list the rules you don't like then, and ways to improve them, rather than just trying to stir up trouble?
    As long as I stay within the rules, I have the right to stir up trouble. In fact stirring up trouble is one of the great rights, and indeed benfits, of a democracy.
    If George Washington didn't stir up trouble, we'd all be English. If Martin Luther King didn't stir up trouble, some people might not be able to vote.

That being said, since you asked, the rules give unlimited power to the moderators. There is no recourse for appeal. What if a moderator sanctions someone because he disagrees with what that person is saying, not because what is being said is inappropriate. Life is hard, free speach is hard, but I'd rather see a few overly sensitive people have their feelings hurt, than see power abused. Just one man's opinion.

From my experience, the mods here bend over backwards to allow free speech.

But you seem to be under the assumption that this board is a democracy. It's not. It's private property, and the owners have the right to set any rules they want.

And we all have the freedom to live by the rules, or go elsewhere.

You don't see free speech trampled here. These rules are for one reason only.... to stop personal attacks.

And if the owner of the site says you can't engage in personal attacks on his property, that's his right, as a property owner.

This board is owned by Boss and GIK and they have a right to set whatever rules they see fit. They aren't abusing their "power" as you call it. They are just doing what it takes to continue to ensure that this board remains a friendly environment.

Oh, you might have a point if this board was some start up project that hadn't been run by primarily the same moderators/administrator for going on 5 years now. And guess what? We'll continue to run the board by making the same kind of judgement calls that have gotten us this far. Good thing not everyone feels like you do, or we never would have become (by far) the most visited Reds forum on the internet.

As long as I stay within the rules, I have the right to stir up trouble. In fact stirring up trouble is one of the great rights, and indeed benfits, of a democracy.
    If George Washington didn't stir up trouble, we'd all be English. If Martin Luther King didn't stir up trouble, some people might not be able to vote.

That being said, since you asked, the rules give unlimited power to the moderators. There is no recourse for appeal. What if a moderator sanctions someone because he disagrees with what that person is saying, not because what is being said is inappropriate. Life is hard, free speach is hard, but I'd rather see a few overly sensitive people have their feelings hurt, than see power abused. Just one man's opinion.

Actually, starting trouble is against the rules as well. As for the moderators having unlimited power, that's probably because this is a moderated board. If this wasn't a moderated board, we'd have no need for the moderators, no? This board was started because discussions from either an unmoderated board or a moderated board where the moderator(s) were asleep at the switch got out of hand. People wanted a place to go where they wouldn't be inundated by trolls and could participate in a reasonable discussion without the risk of getting flamed. That's why we have the rules here. If you have concerns about the moderaters, who would you want policing the board?

I would think if a moderator sanctioned someone because of a difference in opinions, they wouldn't be a moderator for very long after that. Since you have been a participant here for such a long while, though, I can see why you would ask that question. I'm all for freedom of speech too. But I think you misunderstand the 1st amendment. It doesn't give people unlimited freedom of speech. All it says is that the government shall not make any laws abridging freedom of speech. It doesn't say anything about private organizations - which RedsZone is one - making any rules against freedom of speech. It's the same way for schools. You can't go to school with obscenities on your T-Shirt.

If you are such a free speech advocate, perhaps this isn't the place for you. You may be happier on an unmoderated board. However, everyone who joins this board has to abide by the rules set down here. If you don't you will suffer the consequences. You are also more than welcome to hire an attorney and sue RedsZone for abridging your freedom of speech rights but I don't think you will be too successful finding one.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The Box ain't that bad, you know... if you're into that kind of thing.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Damn, but Chip's eloquent. I just hit people with a stick when they get uppity.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?