Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81

Thread: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

  1. #61
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Baiting and taunting when emotions are running high is akin to lighting a match next to a leaking propane tank. Since we don't want to remove the propane tank, we choose to limit the baiting and taunting.
    Funny you use that analogy.

    Its also like lighting a match next to a propane tank in that if something happens, the result isnt very pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Actually GAC, I suspect you're for closing down this post because you have run out of excuses for the Bush administration.
    This thread is not closed.

    The only reason a mod uses discretion and closes a thread down is when someone starts name calling and using derogatory language on others. Take a good hard look at the first thread started on Rove, and why it was closed. If I'm the reason for threads being closed then why haven't I ever been warned or received a banning? It's not because the mods are politically partisan. They are pretty objective IMO. I can defend myself and disagree/argue without name calling.

    (I think the Terry Schiavo situation was the straw that broke the camel's back).
    If you will do your research you'll find that an overwhelming majority of conservatives vehemently disagreed with the government intrusion into this situation. That was even shown on here during that discussion. Less government intrusion -that's core theme to true conservatism - not that they are becoming more progressive. And it is one issue that alot of conservatives are upset with Bush over. Neither political party believes in less government.

    Anyhow, whats wrong with a little baiting and taunting? Good clean baiting and taunting never hurt anybody.
    You think using derogatory names and labels on people is good, clean fun? Calling others Fascists, Nazis, or making fun of/mocking someone because of ideological differences NEVER leads to anything productive, and usually sends any type of discussion right into the gutter.

    I love a good, sharp discussion. I fully understand there are disagreements. We can do so and keep it on a civil tone. If you, or anyone from either side, feels they have to mock and name call in order to get their point across, then IMO you've already lost the argument.

    Go back and look at how many threads, either political or religious that I, or any other conservative, has started? Really won't find any will you? You'll have to look awfully hard, and go back a bit. And believe me, if we wanted, we could scour the 'net and find plenty. It's pointless. Take a good hard look at who/what threads are currently being started, and the intent. Done sorely for bitter partisan purposes IMO.

    And I don't think the board has become more progressive no more then I thought at one time it was more conservative. Just because you got a handful of people, and usually the same 2-3 (a minority), flooding the board with political threads doesn't not mean it has gone progressive. It just means that an awful lot of people are sick and tired of the partisan fighting and degeneration of the discussion on here, beating their headsd against the wall, and therefore are no longer participating.

    They're the smart ones (I'm not some times ).

    [QUOTE]PS. I missed the story about that college girl. What did she get that she deserved? Would telling us violate the guidelines?]/QUOTE]

    Enjoy

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37092



    Go back and look at how many threads, either political or religious that I, or any other conservative, has started? Really won't find any will you? You'll have to look awfully hard, and go back a bit.

    And I don't think the board has become more progressive no more then I thought at one time it was more conservative. Just because you got a handful of people, and usually the same 2-3 (a minority), flooding the board with political threads doesn't not mean it has gone progressive. It just means that an awful lot of people are sick and tired of the partisan fighting and degeneration of the discussion on here, beating their headsd against the wall, and therefore are no longer participating.

    They're the smart ones (I'm not some times ).
    Last edited by GAC; 07-04-2005 at 06:36 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  4. #63
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,967

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Since this is a thread to discuss rules and such, I'd like to say that I was suspended for 24 hours the other day for a comment regarded as "snide" by a moderator.

    But just yesterday another poster insulted me personally with a personal attack and nothing, not even a warning, became of it.

    Neg me if you wish (I know that's the new "justice" around here to neg people who report offensive behavior), but I thought I should point out that rules are being applied unequally.

    Thanks,

    FCB

  5. #64
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Since this is a thread to discuss rules and such, I'd like to say that I was suspended for 24 hours the other day for a comment regarded as "snide" by a moderator.

    Yeah, yours was probably a lifetime achievement award.

    Kidding, just kidding. Thank you very much, I'll be here all week. Tip the waitresses.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  6. #65
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,405

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    But just yesterday another poster insulted me personally with a personal attack and nothing, not even a warning, became of it.
    The post in question, I believe, said something about if Karl Rove went to prison that you could help him out. IIRC, you said that you worked with people getting out of prison or something like that. How is that a personal attack?
    Last edited by Chip R; 07-04-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #66
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    This thread is not closed.

    Go back and look at how many threads, either political or religious that I, or any other conservative, has started? Really won't find any will you? You'll have to look awfully hard, and go back a bit. And believe me, if we wanted, we could scour the 'net and find plenty. It's pointless. Take a good hard look at who/what threads are currently being started, and the intent. Done sorely for bitter partisan purposes IMO.

    And I don't think the board has become more progressive no more then I thought at one time it was more conservative. Just because you got a handful of people, and usually the same 2-3 (a minority), flooding the board with political threads doesn't not mean it has gone progressive. It just means that an awful lot of people are sick and tired of the partisan fighting and degeneration of the discussion on here, beating their headsd against the wall, and therefore are no longer participating.
    That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You and other conservates attempts on here to marginlize almost all political debate that is harsh on the current administration by calling it solely for bitter partisan does not help matters and is use as an easy out far too often.

    The fact of the matters is that the conservatives are currently in power and if they can't stand the heat they need to get out of the kitchen.

    Do you really think if Kerry or Gore were elected President that the Non-Baseball Forum discussion area would be free of politcal discussion?

    I see yours and others attempts to marginlized posters a "personalized attack" against those who post relevant political discussions that you and others have a hard time justifying the current administrations positions. It's an easy out and frankly not a productive one.
    Last edited by RBA; 07-04-2005 at 01:11 PM.

  8. #67
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,967

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The post in question, I believe, said something about if Karl Rove went to prison that you could help him out. IIRC, you said that you worked with people getting out of prison or something like that. How is that a personal attack?

    First, it was uninstigated. I said nothing to RFA in that thread, responded to no post.

    Second, he felt it necessary to make light of what I do. I wasn't deeply offended and don't feel the need for an apology, but when I'm suspended after one warning for what I felt was simply a little sarcasm pointing to the conservative pro-life argument, I begin to wonder that a double-standard isn't in place around here. That's all.

    My comment was "baiting"--to which I say, fine, it's baiting if that's how you see it. I accept my punishment. But when another poster calls me out, singles me out in a post like RFA did (not in response to earlier post of mine or anything), I feel that's "baiting" as well.

    I just want to see the law applied equally, that's all. (Or next time don't suspend ME for sarcasm--it's not as though my post was a personal attack or anything). It seems unjust to have it both ways.

  9. #68
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,405

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    First, it was uninstigated. I said nothing to RFA in that thread, responded to no post.

    Second, he felt it necessary to make light of what I do. I wasn't deeply offended and don't feel the need for an apology, but when I'm suspended after one warning for what I felt was simply a little sarcasm pointing to the conservative pro-life argument, I begin to wonder that a double-standard isn't in place around here. That's all.

    My comment was "baiting"--to which I say, fine, it's baiting if that's how you see it. I accept my punishment. But when another poster calls me out, singles me out in a post like RFA did (not in response to earlier post of mine or anything), I feel that's "baiting" as well.

    I just want to see the law applied equally, that's all. (Or next time don't suspend ME for sarcasm--it's not as though my post was a personal attack or anything). It seems unjust to have it both ways.
    Still not seeing the personal attack. All he was doing is being ironic in a joking manner. You work with people who have been in jail and Rove may go to jail.

    I think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill because you're sore you were suspended. So you make something out of nothing and are trying to get him suspended as well. You can deny it but that's what it looks like to me.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  10. #69
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    FCB, there maybe some biases in the current moderators and they may be less lenient on certain members on the board, but I have to agree with the majority so far as to say it was meant as an ironic joke.

  11. #70
    MarsArmyGirl RosieRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,783

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    In any case, what is the point of baiting and taunting, and of name-calling, and mocking someone else, and all the other nonsense? It accomplishes nothing, except creating animosity, headaches for mods, and getting threads closed.

    So what's the point? Aren't we all grown up enough to accept that other people have different views, and that we are capable of discussing such views like intelligent people, and can't we leave it at that? Why does it have to be taken to the next step, where the insults and accusations and whatnot start flying? It's like a virtual pissing match. If that's the kind of discussion someone here wants to participate in, there are many other message boards on the Internet where you're free to do so.

    We have had discussions on here, on very delicate topics, that did not evolve into nonsense. So I assume we're capable of it. All I can figure is it's much harder to put forward an intelligent opinion on an issue, whereas it's much easier to fall back on stereotypes and insults. Which is sad, and rather pointless.

    We all know I've gotten into some heated discussions on non-BB topics on here (hi GAC and traderumor! ), but I hope I've never been insulting or demeaning. I've certainly never tried to be either, because I don't think my throwing insults around does anything except make me look silly.

  12. #71
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,967

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Still not seeing the personal attack. All he was doing is being ironic in a joking manner. You work with people who have been in jail and Rove may go to jail.

    I think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill because you're sore you were suspended. So you make something out of nothing and are trying to get him suspended as well. You can deny it but that's what it looks like to me.
    Whatever. Believe what you wish. Just give me a rationale next time instead of paintmered's "I've got an itchy trigger finger"--and the fact that I used sarcasm to assail a religious position. You can deny THAT all you want as well. But that's exactly why I was suspended. If I had used sarcasm to attack Rove or Bush I wouldn't be here in this argument, but because I take issue with a hidebound and absurd religious argument I get banned. So ban me all you want, this is my last word on the issue.

    In the interest of clarity, this is the post that got me booted for 24 hours (I guess some white males got their feelings hurt):

    "Riiight. The "rights" that matter to white males, eh? Pretend you just got knocked up by your brother. Now pretend there's nothing you can do about it but have the baby.

    Fun. (Cuz Gawd says ev'ry life is a precious meer-cul from Gawd)"

    Now tell me I didn't get busted for challenging Johnny Wheatabix Protestant.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-04-2005 at 03:41 PM.

  13. #72
    The Mad Monk Jaycint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Nevermind. Pointless anyway.
    Last edited by Jaycint; 07-04-2005 at 06:15 PM.

  14. #73
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,815

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    In any case, what is the point of baiting and taunting, and of name-calling, and mocking someone else, and all the other nonsense? It accomplishes nothing, except creating animosity, headaches for mods, and getting threads closed.

    So what's the point? Aren't we all grown up enough to accept that other people have different views, and that we are capable of discussing such views like intelligent people, and can't we leave it at that? Why does it have to be taken to the next step, where the insults and accusations and whatnot start flying? It's like a virtual pissing match. If that's the kind of discussion someone here wants to participate in, there are many other message boards on the Internet where you're free to do so.

    We have had discussions on here, on very delicate topics, that did not evolve into nonsense. So I assume we're capable of it. All I can figure is it's much harder to put forward an intelligent opinion on an issue, whereas it's much easier to fall back on stereotypes and insults. Which is sad, and rather pointless.

    We all know I've gotten into some heated discussions on non-BB topics on here (hi GAC and traderumor! ), but I hope I've never been insulting or demeaning. I've certainly never tried to be either, because I don't think my throwing insults around does anything except make me look silly.
    Excellent post. If someone wants to persuade someone else to reconsider a position and take into consideration another point of view, a reasoned argument is much more effective than stereotypes and insults. I sure wouldn't try, or get away with, some of the taunts and personal attacks used here if I tried those tactics in my line of work.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  15. #74
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    The thing that really gets to me about all this is what a tremendous resource we're wasting here.

    Such intelligent people on every side of every issue. Viewpoints that educate and enlighten will be silenced if we can't rise above the rancor and partisanship.

    People are passionate about their beliefs. That's not a bad thing. It's a good thing. I don't want to hear a wishy-washy argument. I want to hear someone with the courage of their convictions make an intelligent argument, even if I totally disagree with their point of view.

    But if your position is well thought out, why would anyone have to resort to childish insults? Is the art form of bickering more important than putting your views out there?

    If fighting is more important than making your point, then this forum won't be around much longer. What a shame that would be.

    I've modified a lot of my opinions, based entirely on what I've read here. I'll bet a lot of other people have too, and never say anything about it. When you make a compelling case, intelligent people will be affected by it, even if they don't change their positions. When all you do is insult and fight, your message is lost in the static.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  16. #75
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,566

    Re: Questions/Discussion About the New Non-Baseball Forum Rules & Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Go back and look at how many threads, either political or religious that I, or any other conservative, has started? Really won't find any will you? You'll have to look awfully hard, and go back a bit. And believe me, if we wanted, we could scour the 'net and find plenty. It's pointless. Take a good hard look at who/what threads are currently being started, and the intent. Done sorely for bitter partisan purposes IMO.
    Not sure if you consider me a conservative or a liberal, as I don't feel that I fit into either category since I'm split on different issues, but I do start a few political and religous topics on here. I don't do it for baiting though. Any time I start a topic it is because I find it interesting, and I'm interested in other peoples' perspectives. I'm probably in the minority, but some of you have been able to convince me to change my mind on some things from time to time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25