Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80s Pop Princess Debbie Gibson To Appear In Playboy

80s Pop Princess Debbie Gibson To Appear In Playboy

Well, when all other efforts and attempts to revive a faltering career have failed, there's always the last resort of posing nude for Playboy. The thing that shocked me, as well, was that she's still just 34 years old! She had hit songs before some RedsZoners were born!

Here's the Debbie I remember, when the most skin we would see would be a hole in the knee of her jeans...

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

Debbie Does "Playboy"

by Sarah Hall
    Jan 26, 2005, 12:30 PM PT

Apparently, Debbie Gibson is trying to revive her electric youth.
    The '80s pop phenom, whose hits included "Foolish Beat" and "Into Your Eyes," bares it all in the March issue of Playboy, which hits stands Feb. 11.

The layout reportedly features a "well-defined, yet very sexy, feminine look" for Gibson and marks a departure from her squeaky-queen teen idol image of yore.

Gibson, now 34 and known as Deborah, has turned down offers to pose nude in the past.

"I was born in the wrong era," she told USA Today in 2001. "I'm not comfortable with showing everyone everything. I never say never though. I've said I'd never get a tattoo and I got one."

It seems the Out of the Blue singer has upped her comfort levels in recent years--and Playboy readers will no doubt be looking forward to checking out that tattoo she mentioned.

Coinciding with her body-baring shoot, the singer will release her new, aptly named single, "Naked." She is also at work on a cover of Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl," which will be on her upcoming album.

Her last album, M.Y.O.B. was released in 2001.

Since exiting the glare of the pop spotlight, Gibson has carved a niche for herself on the Broadway stage, appearing in crowd pleasers such as Cabaret and Beauty and the Beast.

She's not the first 1980s pop princess to attempt to leap back into the public eye via Playboy's pages.

Back in 2002, onetime rival Tiffany stripped down for Hugh Hefner's mag, earning the distinction of being "the first teen star to ever do it," in her own words.

The "I Think We're Alone Now" singer actually advised Gibson not to follow in her (bare) footsteps.

"I think it probably wouldn't have the same effect," Tiffany said at the time. "I don't think [Gibson] would do it, frankly...And I don't think she needs to."

Hopefully for Gibson's sake, Tiffany is at least correct about her upcoming spread not having the same effect on the general population--namely little to none.

In addition to hitting the magazine racks next month, Gibson will also be seen in two Broadway on Ice productions in Florida, where she'll perform show tunes with former Olympic skater Brian Boitano.

We're just glad she has a contingency plan in place.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: 80s Pop Princess Debbie Gibson To Appear In Playboy

I think you accidentally left the first three words off of that story's headline.
    "Desparate for Attention,"

/r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I think you accidentally left the first three words off of that story's headline.
    "Desparate for Attention,"

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
    back in school she could turn all the boys' heads...

Glory days well they'll pass you by
    Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
    Glory days, glory days...

For a Level Playing Field

"I was born in the wrong era," she told USA Today in 2001. "I'm not comfortable with showing everyone everything....
    Speak for yourself, Debbie!! I came from that era too... no shyness here. Perhaps b/c I come from Mars?!?

Sad to read this
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Sad to read this
    Me, too, Baron. Debbie Gibson takes me back to the days when young female pop singers weren't running around naked (see Spears, Britney and Aguillera, Christina), having simulated sex on a bed on stage during their concerts (Spears again), tounge-kissing each other on TV (Spears and Madonna Ciccone) and/or giving fingers to cameras and wearing tee shirts and belt buckles with the F-word on them (see Lavigne, Avril). The 80s were a more innocent time, in some ways, and Gibson was kinda the poster girl for that era. So much for that image.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Me, too, Baron. Debbie Gibson takes me back to the days when young female pop singers weren't running around naked (see Spears, Britney and Aguillera, Christina), having simulated sex on a bed on stage during their concerts (Spears again), tounge-kissing each other on TV (Spears and Madonna Ciccone) and/or giving fingers to cameras and wearing tee shirts and belt buckles with the F-word on them (see Lavigne, Avril). The 80s were a more innocent time, in some ways, and Gibson was kinda the poster girl for that era. So much for that image.
    Debbie Gibson: Electric Youth - released in 1989

Madonna: Madonna - released in 1983
    Madonna: Like a Virgin - released in 1984
    Madonna: True Blue - released in 1986
    Madonna: You Can Dance - released in 1987
    Madonna: Like a Prayer - released in 1989

Debbie came WAY after the Madonna, and Madonna paved the way for all the current pop starlets. Madonna was at her 'boy toy' peak in the mid 80s, long before Debbie or Tiffany ever hit the malls.

Debbie was the exception in the 80s, not the rule.

Oh, my gosh darned heck.....

If only I could transport this upcoming magazine issue back to my 1988 self....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Debbie was the exception in the 80s, not the rule.
    I think that Madonna was the exception in the 80s.

Any single Madonna album from the 80s sold more copies than Debbie & Tiffany sold in their careers COMBINED.

Madonna OWNED the 80s. Debbie/Tiffany are nothing more than a curious historical footnote.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Any single Madonna album from the 80s sold more copies than Debbie & Tiffany sold in their careers COMBINED.

Madonna OWNED the 80s. Debbie/Tiffany are nothing more than a curious historical footnote.
    Hey, I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, except that I think the modestly-dressed good girls Tiffany and Debbie Gibson personify the 80s (or at least the late 80s) just as much as Madonna, if not more so, regardless of record sales. Or maybe I just have a selective memory and am remembering the 80s the way I want them to be. I must confess that I have tried to block Madonna from my memory, so maybe I did too good a job.

Debbie Gibson also sang vocals on the 95 Circle Jerks album "Oddities, Abnormalities, and Curiosities."
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Mojo Nixon might be interested in this development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Mojo Nixon might be interested in this development.

I'd completely forgotten about that...

If you don't got Mojo Nixon
    Then your store could use some fixin'
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

My homeroom angel on the pages in between.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?