Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

REDS ADD RHP RAMON ORTIZ TO STARTING ROTATION

Acquired From Angels For Minor League RHP Dustin Moseley

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O’Brien today announced the acquisition of starting RHP Ramon Ortiz from the Angels in exchange for minor league RHP Dustin Moseley.

Ortiz, 31, last season went 5-7 with a 4.43 ERA in 34 games, including 14 starts and 20 relief appearances. Prior to 2004, Ortiz had made all 123 of his Major League appearances as a starting pitcher.

Each season from 2001-2003, Ortiz posted at least 13 victories while making 32 starts and accumulating at least 180.0 innings pitched. He produced his best year during the Angels’ 2002 World Series championship season, when he went 15-9 with a 3.77 ERA and 4 complete games. He followed that campaign by winning a career-high 16 games in 2003.

Ortiz has a career record of 59-49 in 157 Major League appearances, including 137 starts. He led the Angels in victories in 2000 (8), 2001 (13) and 2003 (16).

Moseley, 22, last season combined to go 5-6 with a 3.86 ERA in 20 starts between Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville. He was selected by the Reds in the supplemental first round (34th overall) of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds get Ortiz

Okay guys...There it is.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Crap - I wish we got him before he aged 4 years in one night :mhcky21:

I like it - it moves Hancock out of the rotation (please, please) and gives the Reds a guy who can strike people out (although his k per 9 went has gone down every year til last year when it went up, but he pitched poorly last year, so the increased k's might not be a good thing). Plus he throws between 180 and 200 innings every year.

I like it.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

What are his numbers?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Not bad, Dan O'Brien (not huge, not awesome, but not terrible)....got a major league experience pitcher, who has had success (10 games over .500 career) for Mosely...let's hope Ortiz last year was just an "off" year

...it's progress

Don Gullett is licking his chops :mhcky21:

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    What are his numbers?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6317
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I like the idea of getting a major league pitcher for a minor leaguer with flaws, but Ortiz is going to eat a lot of that "extra" money we might have had for bullpen arms and signing Dunn long term. Because of those things, I don't like the trade. Would have preferred the cheaper, Lackey.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

OTOH we gave up a 22 year old who has had some success in the high minors at a young age for a guy that very well might have been non-tendered next week.

I don't hate it, but I sure don't love it.

Retired

I'm with RL, Ortiz is fine for rotation filler, but not at his price tag.

Anaheim wants to dump salary so they naturally think of... Cincinnati?

All dyslexics must untie!

Who pays Ortiz' 5.5 mil option for 2005?
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Who pays Ortiz' 5.5 mil option for 2005?
    Whoever else owns him on Aug 1st

Isn't this the guy who had a hissy fit after being removed from the Angels' rotation last year?
    Pretty decent stuff if I remember correctly, just has trouble keeping his head on straight. A fresh start with a new team/league could be what this guy needs.

I wonder if they've agreed to pay some of that.

There had better be cash in this deal, and I would imagine there would have to be. If not, this is just plain stupid. It would be DanO doing the opposite of what he has professed all along..
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?