Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds get Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    The Dec 7 deadline was for free agents. I believe teams have until the 19th to offer it to players not eligible for free agency. Rotoworld(who is usually on top of this stuff) indicates he has not yet been offered arbitration.
    right, but since they declined his option, he was technically a free agent. or so it has been explained to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It would be nice to get a guy with which no mention of Don Gullett needs to be made.

Oh well, that's the lot we've chosen.
    When was the last time "Gully" fixed anyone? 1992?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    i agree...i'm just reporting what i'm being told by the people who would know.
    Goes to one of my theories about baseball people. They can tell you what they're doing at a given moment, but don't ask them to think too much (they'll hurt themselves).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Well, I guess he "fixed" Pete Schourek in like 1995.

But I get your point.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    right, but since they declined his option, he was technically a free agent. or so it has been explained to me.
    If he was a free agent, they couldn't trade him. The Angels declined an option and had to offer him arbitration by Dec. 20 if they wanted to keep him.

The Reds now have to offer him arbitration by that date if they want to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Aronchis, you weren't around when the Lidle signing happened, but it was a wildly popular move on this board. Only a few panned it.
    I was one of those who hated that signing. But I like this one - I think Ortiz has much more potential to help the Reds than Lidle ever could.

I was right on Lidle, lets hope I'm right on Ortiz.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Re: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Any chance the Reds will non-tender him, ala Pokey Reese and Boston a couple of years ago. In other words, if he isn't willing to sign a 2 year deal for $7MM or less, than just let him walk. "All if cost" to try was a ML pitcher you didn't think was ever going to amount to anything.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Any chance the Reds will non-tender him, ala Pokey Reese and Boston a couple of years ago. In other words, if he isn't willing to sign a 2 year deal for $7MM or less, than just let him walk. "All if cost" to try was a ML pitcher you didn't think was ever going to amount to anything.
    Thing is that would mean they gave Moseley away for nothing.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Special Message from Dan O'Brien to Redszone,

Merry Christmas
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I was one of those who hated that signing. But I like this one - I think Ortiz has much more potential to help the Reds than Lidle ever could.

I was right on Lidle, lets hope I'm right on Ortiz.
    I hope they all work out, but Ortiz's 5.14 K/9 over the past two seasons scares me, a lot.

I hope they all work out, but Ortiz's 5.14 K/9 over the past two seasons scares me, a lot.
    I think his arm is about to fall off.

I really hope they don't throw too much dough at this guy.

I'm excited that that the Reds have showed a pulse in the front office. On the other hand I'm confussed with the mixed messages being sent.

Dan O has repeatedly said the Reds will not sign anyone that will cost them a draft pick. So they go out and trade one of their better prospects??? What's the deal, I think everyone would rather have D Mos than a risky 1st or 2nd round pick who will be 4-5 years away.

Just make up your mind. Are we building through the farm system? Or are we going to try to finish 3rd?

Pick a side and stick with it.

Yeah, no doubt there is stuff to be scared about - but all reports I read last year and this winter have been that is stuff is still there, he just needs to get his head straight and some consistentcy back.

Lidle never had stuff, so right there Ortiz is a better option, in my book.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Dang. And here I was working on a little project and missed this.

I don't like this one to start out with.

If this turns into a "Moseley/can't re-sign Jimenez because of the money paid to Ortiz" trade, it'll be one of the dumber things I've seen.

And that's saying a lot.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Goes to one of my theories about baseball people. They can tell you what they're doing at a given moment, but don't ask them to think too much (they'll hurt themselves).
    hmmm, ok. not totally sure what that means or where that's coming from but thanks for the tidbit. you know, you could also apply that same "theory" to lots of "people."

Turn Off Ads?