Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    We haven't even hit arbitration filings yet, who knows what that's going to shake loose.

Wait a minute...I thought you were the one who wanted the FO to get going, not wait.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Not much better, and certainly not strong enough to withstand the wolf (playoffs), but a little stronger than the one they had before. But those bricks can be hard to come by, and they're just learning how to make them, so for now, its sticks, straw or open air.
    The wolf isn't the playoffs, its the fan apathy. Keep sleeping out in the open and eventually the fans will find shelter elsewhere. Stocking up on straw and sticks may slow the wolf down, but in the long run you'd better get some bricks. Every stick you buy puts off buying a brick, and thats the sin.

Bricks are hard to come by, all the more reason to get them whenever you can and however you can. Sticks and straw are laying all over the place just ready to be picked up at any time.

GL

M2,

I don't see any indication by OB that he hasn't rolled up his sleeves with respect to the pitching staff. He may not be quite as aggressive as we'd like, and the choices have not involved top shelf players on either ends. So far, I'm not buying your assumption that it's ONLY a matter of self-imposed limitations by thinking small. Keep working, though, I might.

With that said, the one thing I would have liked to see them do if they bring in an Ortiz is have also let Wilson walk and sign Clement or Perez at their rate of $7-8M. They could have been as aggressive as necessary to get it done. I doubt that they were, if they even considered those two because they considered either too price by themselves. They opted to take Wilson.

I am partial to Little Red Riding Hood.

If you read the original book...it's real bizzare and gross.

Are you going to sit there and tell me no one's going to emerge from this offseason with a good pitcher who costs less than $8M?
    No, but we're not going to be able to identify that pitcher right now. I don't care if Clement signs for $7 million a year or Perez or whoever you want to pick out (although the chances of those things happening appear to be slim to none).

Sure, there will be a guy (maybe even Ramon Ortiz!) who emerges as the steal of the offseason. What you're complaining about is the Reds haven't made the moves you want. Never mind if those moves may be impossible in the real world.

Who knows what Ortiz will do? I have a hard time criticizing the move, or the two signings today. These seem like improvements without much sacrifice. You think the money could be better spent. Maybe. But if Ortiz wins 15 games with an ERA under 4.0, I'd say you're wrong. Heck, in this market, if he wins 10 games with an ERA under 4.50, he's probably considered a decent investment.

I'm not sold on this front office either, but I don't think these moves warrant a fit. These are reasonable, defensible baseball moves with decent upside and relatively little downside.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I don't see any indication by OB that he hasn't rolled up his sleeves with respect to the pitching staff.
    What more evidence do you need other than the lack of a decent pitching staff? Or even the acquisition of anything that even slightly resembles a high potential pitcher.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    Who's to say the excess cash would have been used to go brick shopping?
    Either way, that possibility is not even on the table any more. That alone is enough to make me huff and puff.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    What more evidence do you need other than the lack of a decent pitching staff? Or even the acquisition of anything that even slightly resembles a high potential pitcher.
    Obviously the Reds aren't gonna spring for the primo stuff, they're content to grow their own and partake in ditch weed until the crop comes in.

Problem is all that shake, stems and seeds can give you a hell of a headache and sometimes the smell is so bad it can keep people away.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Obviously the Reds aren't gonna spring for the primo stuff, they're content to grow their own and partake in ditch weed until the crop comes in.

Problem is all that shake, stems and seeds can give you a hell of a headache and sometimes the smell is so bad it can keep people away.

These metaphors...
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I know.

The three little pigs, DanO and the big bad wolf smoke cheeba?

I always thought DanO was into the schwag.

:MandJ: :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That reminds me, what ever happened to the poster named "wolfwolfwolf"?

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Either way, that possibility is not even on the table any more. That alone is enough to make me huff and puff.

GL
    That's just it GL - I don't believe the possibility ever was on the table to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Now you're talking about acumen. The jury is still out on that, but the early returns are not good. That I'll grant. M2 seemed to be saying that DanO is shrugging his shoulders with a defeatist attitude, at least that is what I read. I do not agree with that assessment. I see someone trying to work with the resources he has with limited success thus far.

Honestly, I still think that there are unrealistic expectations as to how easily one can overhaul a pitching staff, from the majors to the minors. That does not excuse last year's disaster or give any one a free pass. The obvious band-aid would be to acquire at least one significant free agent last season and this season. DanO went the "draft and develop" direction, and has sprinkled in a few deals that brought in slightly better prospects from other organizations than we had when he got here, e.g. Elizardo, Hancock, Bubba and Bong. You seem to be looking for dramatic and drastic.

Lack of effort, or lack or compentence. 6 of one.......
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I am so confused - are the Reds the wolf, the house or the basket full of goodies?? And who is Little Red Riding Hood, and did Aunt Bee bring the bean pies??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?