Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds get Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nice call, brooklyn.

Now excuse me why I make my way to the closest ledge.
    Awwww...This trade isn't TOTALLY ledgeworthy.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Serious? We gave up anything for a guy about to be non tendered? The Reds kill me.

That's a good point Cedric.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Not sure I like this deal, Ortiz seems to be getting worse and he makes a lot of money
    Go Gators!

he made $3.3mill last year, and now enters arbitration

I wonder if we'll try to sign him for two years?

did he let reds take mri ? i would rather reds traded the bong and bubba show!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Awwww...This trade isn't TOTALLY ledgeworthy.
    It's not the tread itself, it's what it represents more than anything else.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Ortiz will cost close to $4M this season. Forget who said it in the other thread, might have been FCB, but this is Lidle revisited. Not a good pitcher, not much hope of being a good pitcher and his salary prevents the club from pursuing other options that might offer actual help (e.g. say the Reds could somehow land A.J. Burnett, now it doesn't matter because he'd put them over budget).

Worst of all is the Angels might have non-tendered Ortiz in another week, putting him on the open market at a greatly reduced price for no compensation whatsoever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

His longball #s have always scared the bejeebies out of me whenever his name has come up as available.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nice call, brooklyn.

Now excuse me why I make my way to the closest ledge.
    i'm not sure this necessarily means the reds are done. BUT, it pretty much takes anaheim out of the clement sweeps. whatever.

as far as the money owed ortiz, since the angels declined his option, the reds will go to arbitration with him and he'll certainly get less than the 5.5 option.

people familiar with the situation last year in anaheim contend he's got great stuff, but clashed with the coaching staff to the point he was distracted and out of sorts. i guess we'll see. this can be a good deal for the reds. as someone else noted, gullett is now on the clock.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    i'm not sure this necessarily means the reds are done. BUT, it pretty much takes anaheim out of the clement sweeps. whatever.
    If you really believe they were ever in those sweeps...I want what you're having

Do we know for sure Ortiz is even going to be in the rotation? Yeah, he's probably better than just about anyone else we have, but he pitched a lot out of the 'pen last year.

In any manner, I love the deal. We got a major-league ready STARTER with a decent amount of success and a great upside for a Reds minor leaguer who seemed to have fizzled out of the Reds' plans. If nothing else, he could become trade bait (a la Lidle) come trade deadline. Personally, I think Anaheim gave up a quite a bit for a questionable return.

It would be nice to get a guy with which no mention of Don Gullett needs to be made.

Oh well, that's the lot we've chosen.

Ramon is a stuff pitcher unlike Lidle though coming off a bad year with a attitude. DanO's "stopgap" to July idea this year. Boring, yawn type deal. Could break big for the Reds or just the same ole' same ole'. At least "little Pedro" may surprise. Lidle was open and shut case.

[QUOTE=Matt700wlw]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz

QUOTE]

If you really believe they were ever in those sweeps...I want what you're having
    ummm, believe it or not, anaheim WAS in the clement sweeps. not sure what's so hard to believe about that.

Turn Off Ads?