Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds get Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Ortiz will cost close to $4M this season. Forget who said it in the other thread, might have been FCB, but this is Lidle revisited. Not a good pitcher, not much hope of being a good pitcher and his salary prevents the club from pursuing other options that might offer actual help (e.g. say the Reds could somehow land A.J. Burnett, now it doesn't matter because he'd put them over budget).

Worst of all is the Angels might have non-tendered Ortiz in another week, putting him on the open market at a greatly reduced price for no compensation whatsoever.
    No offense, but the Cincy FO landing the likes of an AJ Burnett just seems like a pipe dream any more. They appear to either be not willing to trade from one of our few strengths or they're not willing to foot the bill for it, both in current and future dollars. As one poster put, I think a trade of this nature is about as good as it gets for us.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He is a lock for the rotation. You don't trade pitchers with even slight success at AAA at age 22, for someone that is gonna get non tendered in a week and then not pitch him. This trade makes absolutely zero sense. There isn't a way in hell Anaheim was gonna tender him.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I really hope the Reds have given this guy's arm a good once or twice over before making this deal.
    So you believe Ramon will consent to an MRI?
    Never overlook the obvious

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    ummm, believe it or not, anaheim WAS in the clement sweeps. not sure what's so hard to believe about that.

I read it wrong...I though you said us...nevermind..disregard

SORRY!! :

I can't eat, work, and play at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    ummm, believe it or not, anaheim WAS in the clement sweeps. not sure what's so hard to believe about that.
    I'm not so sure they still aren't.

Rotoworld.com says they are via FOXSPORTS

The Angels have agreed to terms with Paul Byrd on a one-year deal, TSN's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Byrd apparently will join Bartolo Colon, Kelvim Escobar and John Lackey in the rotation. It looks like the team will continue to pursue Matt Clement and attempt to trade Jarrod Washburn. Dec. 14 - 5:22 pm et
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Here's his last two years (and he'll be 32 this season):

IP - 308
    H - 348
    BB - 101
    WHIP - 1.46
    K - 176
    HR - 46
    OPS 2003 - .810
    OPS 2004 - .793
    ERA 2003 - 5.2
    ERA 2004 - 4.43
    EBH - 118
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He looks to be a higher K Cory Lidle.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Gosh guys! We finally do something and everyone just complains. I just think it's funny! We don't even know the deal yet. I'll reserve judgement until I get the facts, but I'd say this is an upgrade to the rotation and really and truly that's a good thing however you look at it. Now if we paid 5,6,7 million maybe not, but I can't say yet as I've not seen the deal. Russ was tough a couple years ago and he was in the AL so facing the NL he could be a nice pitcher. Not the ace everyone wanted, but better is good. Let's get some positive vibes going.

Ortiz will be 32 (allegedly) in May. I don't think he has any surprises left in him.

Again, I don't think Ortiz will be significantly better than what moseley would have been in 2005. Better, yes. WAY better, I'm not convinced. $4MM better, no way.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

So...
    Who do we send them for Washburn? Jimenez or ???

---'Roser

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

D'Lo probably won't be tendered..his money will go to Ortiz, which will make Freel your everyday 2nd baseman, and the Kearns to third thing goes through

...think?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Gosh guys! We finally do something and everyone just complains. I just think it's funny! We don't even know the deal yet. I'll reserve judgement until I get the facts, but I'd say this is an upgrade to the rotation and really and truly that's a good thing however you look at it. Now if we paid 5,6,7 million maybe not, but I can't say yet as I've not seen the deal. Russ was tough a couple years ago and he was in the AL so facing the NL he could be a nice pitcher. Not the ace everyone wanted, but better is good. Let's get some positive vibes going.
    Russ??? I thought we got David???

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

"Russ was tough a couple years ago"

But it's NOT Russ we just landed. It's RAMON, remember?

Hey, OldX---I'd take David...yeah...we could make that work.

---'Roser

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Here's his last two years (and he'll be 32 this season):

IP - 308
    H - 348
    BB - 101
    WHIP - 1.46
    K - 176
    HR - 46
    OPS 2003 - .810
    OPS 2004 - .793
    ERA 2003 - 5.2
    ERA 2004 - 4.43
    EBH - 118

moseley's lifetime ML whip is 1.29.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Ortiz had an awful 2003.

I sure hope that guy doesn't show up, 'cause that guy looks like a Reds pitcher.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?