Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

I think he was kinda joking around Brooklyn.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Dang. And here I was working on a little project and missed this.

I don't like this one to start out with.

If this turns into a "Moseley/can't re-sign Jimenez because of the money paid to Ortiz" trade, it'll be one of the dumber things I've seen.

And that's saying a lot.
    I can almost see it coming, and it (Non-Tendering Jimenez) has been one of my bigger fears this offseason. This sort of enhances the chances of that or so it seems.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Any chance the Reds will non-tender him, ala Pokey Reese and Boston a couple of years ago. In other words, if he isn't willing to sign a 2 year deal for $7MM or less, than just let him walk. "All if cost" to try was a ML pitcher you didn't think was ever going to amount to anything.
    No Way! You go to Arb. and then trade him in July and maybe get a better prospect then Mosely.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I think he was kinda joking around Brooklyn.
    yr probably right. sorry M2. mind is kinda frazzled after a long night of tracking down nonexistent Dunn-to-DBacks leads. again, my apologies.

Good move in my opinion. The Reds trade an unknown commidity for a known commodity. There is no pleasing the Reds fans, they complain because we cant get a major league pitcher and we get one and they complain.

Re: Reds get Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    hmmm, ok. not totally sure what that means or where that's coming from but thanks for the tidbit. you know, you could also apply that same "theory" to lots of "people."
    Just one man's opinion, but I've read and heard too many insane and inane comments from front office types and "insiders" to put a ton of stock in what they think. I long ago decided to trust my own judgment instead of theirs.

So when I see the Angels deal away a starting pitcher who'd have taken roughly $4M out of the budget, my guess is this makes them more likely to pursue some of the remaining free agent starters as there's no sensible reason why one less arm and a pile of freed-up cash would make them less likely to pursue such an arm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I like this deal because I always thought Moseley was overated. Ortiz should do well in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    yr probably right. sorry M2. mind is kinda frazzled after a long night of tracking down nonexistent Dunn-to-DBacks leads. again, my apologies.
    No problem, I didn't take what you wrote as anything personal. Great job of tracking this down. Seriously, top notch work.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Good move in my opinion. The Reds trade an unknown commidity for a known commodity. There is no pleasing the Reds fans, they complain because we cant get a major league pitcher and we get one and they complain.
    Jimmy haynes is a known commodity as well. So you recommend we sign him? If someone is a known commodiy, but a not so good one, what good is it that we know what he gives us?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I think his arm is about to fall off.

I really hope they don't throw too much dough at this guy.
    Ortiz made $3.27M last year and he's going to arbitration. He's structurally guaranteed to make too much money, $3.75M on the low side.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Just one man's opinion, but I've read and heard too many insane and inane comments from front office types and "insiders" to put a ton of stock in what they think. I long ago decided to trust my own judgment instead of theirs.

So when I see the Angels deal away a starting pitcher who'd have taken roughly $4M out of the budget, my guess is this makes them more likely to pursue some of the remaining free agent starters as there's no sensible reason why one less arm and a pile of freed-up cash would make them less likely to pursue such an arm.
    they signed Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Ortiz made $3.27M last year and he's going to arbitration. He's structurally guaranteed to make too much money, $3.75M on the low side.

Aw sheesh!

Maybe there's cash involved in this deal. :

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

"Maybe there's cash involved in this deal."

"You're as like to have monkey's fly out your arse" as to get close to that!!!

(Titanic was it?)

Okay so besides losing Moseley, they've in effect signed two free agent pitchers worth nearly or more than seven million...And Matt Clement wanted eight million?

Hmmmmm....

Well hopefully this is a guy who will eat up innings on a ballclub that really needs a starter to eat up innings. I like the trade.

Turn Off Ads?