Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Randa's OBP/SLG the last three years.

341/426
    348/452
    343/408
    Don't you think his numbers won't be bad for a #7 hitter though? Don't know much about Joe, what kind of glove/range does he have?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Who's the poster on here who used to have the tag line "Trading Griffey Jr won't help"? Can that be revised to use Austin Kearns instead?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Don't you think his numbers won't be bad for a #7 hitter though? Don't know much about Joe, what kind of glove/range does he have?
    He's Aaron Boone lite.

Whatever, it's depth, I suppose.

And more important, it's only one year.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I wouldn't give up on the Kearns experiment but you have to wonder with this signing, if Kearns might be going in a deal for a starting pitcher?
    Ding, ding, ding - thats what I think........
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

Thing is, I'd rather have Freel in the leadoff spot then Randa in the 7-spot.

Without Freel on top, Lopez gets moved to the 2-slot, which is a Bad Idea.

Much rather have

Freel
    Jiminez
    Dunn
    JR
    Casey
    Kearns
    LaRue
    Lopez

Then
    Jiminez
    Lopez
    Dunn
    JR
    Casey
    Kearns
    Randa
    LaRue

(Or however the middle four go)

I admit that it probably wouldn't make TOO much difference, but every run matters...

Randa is the perfect stopgap third baseman as we wait for Encarnacion. But he is a starting player who gets paid a decent wage. I don't see him on the bench.

So which starting outfielder is getting traded?

Seems like that Randy Johnson mega deal is still simmering because of behind the scenes action. Now one has to wonder if the Reds are a player?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp

Now how boring is Dan O'Brien?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Here's what the Reds got from their 3rd baseman last year.

Code:
    OBA      SLG      OPS      EBH      AVG     RC/G    

.330     .359     .689       74     .254     4.22

I'm not that excited about what he's done, which is bring in a bunch of vets to fill out the 25-man roster. Stop gap moves which don't do much for the long term. Really just looks like he's trying for 4th place to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    To be honest, I kinda expect this signing to result in a deal of Kearns to LA. Don't know anything, haven't heard anything...but the timing of this deal is somewhat ominous considering everything I've heard out of LA concerning the "mega-deal." DePodesta is looking to flip Vasquez for a young cheap bat and something tells me the Reds might very well be his dancing partner.
    Please no :thumbdown

To be honest, I kinda expect this signing to result in a deal of Kearns to LA. Don't know anything, haven't heard anything...but the timing of this deal is somewhat ominous considering everything I've heard out of LA concerning the "mega-deal." DePodesta is looking to flip Vasquez for a young cheap bat and something tells me the Reds might very well be his dancing partner.
    This was exactly what I was thinking. Exactly. What is Vazquez's contract status? How many years would the Reds have him? I know he struggled at times in NY, but I'd do it -- pending info on the contract. Yes, you're selling Kearns low, but you're also buying Vazquez low.

Anyway, I like the Randa signing -- no, he isn't a long-term answer, but he's a solid defender (something desperately needed on this team), mediocre bat (at best), solid veteran guy and hopefully a bridge to EE. I wasn't opposed at all to trying Kearns at third -- why not think outside the box? -- but I like the idea of trading him for a front-line starter even better.

Vazquez, Wilson, Ortiz isn't exactly the Big Three, but it could be a significant upgrade. If you're going to take a chance on a pitcher bouncing back, I like that pitcher to be coming from the AL to the NL. Those AL lineups can be brutal, and draining mentally. Give a guy a couple of outs at the bottom of these NL lineups and things don't look quite so difficult.

Anyway, this is a lot of speculation about something that hasn't happened, but there are some dots there to be connected ...

I bet he can't do "The Worm."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    DePodesta is looking to flip Vasquez for a young cheap bat and something tells me the Reds might very well be his dancing partner.
    Based on what? Considering OB's history of tweener-type moves, I'm curious what makes you think he'd pull off a blockbuster like that?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Kearns is at the lowpoint of his value, a smart team holds him.

Note I said a "smart" team.
    Bingo... it would be the equivalent of selling a good stock with a huge upside while it was at its lowest value in years.

Where's DanO's quote from the other week about Kearns being the starting 3B come opening day? This guy talks in circles more than anyone I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    Based on what? Considering OB's history of tweener-type moves, I'm curious what makes you think he'd pull off a blockbuster like that?
    The Reds have already had trade discussions in the past about Vazquez and Oakland's Big Three, so this wouldn't be new territory.

Remember, you don't always hear about deals that almost get done.

Turn Off Ads?