Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    To be honest, I kinda expect this signing to result in a deal of Kearns to LA. Don't know anything, haven't heard anything...but the timing of this deal is somewhat ominous considering everything I've heard out of LA concerning the "mega-deal." DePodesta is looking to flip Vasquez for a young cheap bat and something tells me the Reds might very well be his dancing partner.
    Kearns and Jr for Vazquez?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Every thinks if something goes down it is AK but what if it turns out to be Dunn. Maybe Dunn's Agent told the Reds he would not sign a long term deal and is asking for the moon in Arb.
    Could be that too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I see a lot of talk about Vazquez from LA. Yes, he is an established pitcher, but I'd personally rather see the Reds go after Edwin Jackson. Aren't the rumors pretty much the Dodgers insist on Dunn where the Reds offered Kearns?

I'm pleased with the Randa signing. Should be interesting to see what happens with our 4 OFs (Assuming Griffey is healthy...big assumption I know).

Is this a confirmed signing BrooklynReds? If so, I'll sticky it.
    Do we have the $$$ of the contract?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69
    I just found the site today, great to be a part of it. Now to my post. If you look at the roster as its stands, and the fact that no position players (with the possible exception of Zapp) in the minors are major league ready, they have 23 players (12 pitchers, 8 starters, 3 on the bench). They have to sign somebody. Randa is a nice bridge to Encarnacion, who is not that far away, IMO. Speculation about a trade I think is valid, but with all the injury problems we've had in the past few years, it is really a good idea to ship off capable outfielders. If we could get Vazquez or someone of his ilk? Then I say do it. If not, AK is probably someone we better hold on to.

welcome!

If we trade an outfielder for a pitcher I kind of hope it's not Vasquez, I just have this feeling that his arm is going to blow up.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Any move that kills the Kearns to 3b experiment is a good move in my opinion.

I'm not exactly excited about Randa, but signing a 3b was a good idea. Looks like DanO learned from commiting to Larson last year.

So now we know, this Kearns-to-3b was just a big smoke screen so the Reds could sneak in and grab Randa :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: Stealth Dan strikes again :MandJ: :MandJ: (Of course, I am joking.. The Reds were serious about trying it. DanO must've finally realized what a disaster that was going to be.)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Kearns and Jr for Vazquez?
    Nifty idea. Would the Reds do it? Might have a lot to do with how much Jr. really costs the Reds on an annual basis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Nifty idea. Would the Reds do it? Might have a lot to do with how much Jr. really costs the Reds on an annual basis.
    I don't like the idea of trading kearns just to dump KG and get a pitcher who is expensive and possibly hurt.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Every thinks if something goes down it is AK but what if it turns out to be Dunn. Maybe Dunn's Agent told the Reds he would not sign a long term deal and is asking for the moon in Arb.
    Good theory..

Here's another one.. Remember Kearns saying that he was willing to move to 3b to keep CASEY around? I wonder if Casey will get moved?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Fearful. Very fearful. I think Kearns or Dunn is on the way to LA for pitching prospects. If so, we must get at least 2, and I would prefer Billingsley and Jackson. I think Kearns could bring two top prospects, Dunn 3. Do not be surprised if Eric Duncan, about to be acquired by LA from the Yanks, gets rerouted to the Reds. From what I read, our scouts really liked him prior to the draft last year.

Again, I have absolutely zero knowledge of anything beyond this Randa signing, but I'm just sitting here putting 2 and 2 together. Can't go into detail, and maybe everything will pass, but the stars are pointing to something in addition. That said, there's nothing to make me suspect anyone would take on Jr.

Now, Kearns and LaRue, that's another matter entirely. LA needs a catcher, and even with the prospect they'll receive from NYY, he's not going to be ready this year. Do they really go into Opening Day with Ross and Martin?

DanO's going crrrrraaaazzzy! :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Press conf. at 3:30...

...and Jiminez signed to avoid arbitration

More to follow

I don't like any deal for Vazquez at all. He's got the following left on his contract:

2005 - 10.5 M
    2006 - 11.5 M
    2007 - 12.5 M

He also got a 2 M signing bonus that I'm not sure has been paid yet. That's a big committment in terms of finances and players for a guy who posted a 4.91 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 755 OPSA, and gave up 33 homers last year. Those numbers are hardly worth $5 M, let alone $10. Now you could argue that his actual numbers would be closer to what he put up in 2001 and 2003, but that's a pretty big gamble when you consider that you're allotting roughly 25% of your payroll to this guy for the next three years (and a payroll that's already heavily tied up in overpriced underperformers), and that you'd be giving up your best all-around player when he's at his all-time low point in terms of value.

The guys to target are the younger, cheaper starters with upside, not the guys who are due 35.5 M on an LTC when you're talking a team with a *very* limited budget (and one that's very top heavy).

I'm almost giddy with excitement...well as giddy as accountants get
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?