Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I really really HATE the term "professional hitter".
    To me it means a guy who doesn't walk or strikeout alot, he hits the ball thus he's a "hitter" not a "batter"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    To me it means a guy who doesn't walk or strikeout alot, he hits the ball thus he's a "hitter" not a "batter"
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

I always felt that at the very least it means a guy with strike zone command who can work a count. Some bat control guys would be in the upper echelon of "professional hitters", like Larkin who can go the other way with a pitch, lay down a bunt, or still drive the ball... the classic number two hitter.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

even better is boone's "he can give us a professional at bat"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Randa today at GABP

Welcome aboard.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    "Having four quality outfielders is not a problem," O'Brien said.
    Unless one of them is named Jose Guillen (or Juan Encarnacion)
    Never overlook the obvious

300 posts for Randa. Boy are we aching for Reds news.

Quote Originally Posted by Redny
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redny
    Except I doubt that half of them are about Randa :MandJ:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Sounds eeriely similiar to what Bowden said about Castilla :MandJ:
    As long as we didn't pay him the contract Bowden paid Castilla, that is OK.

Re: Randa signed

Wow, but Randa's eyes are red.

Put down the hippie-lettuce, Joe! There's work to be done!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Wow, but Randa's eyes are red.

Put down the hippie-lettuce, Joe! There's work to be done!

Joker? Red Eyes?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

IMO, Randa's chief benefit to the team is his glove. Should be a help to whatever overmatched SS the team plays.

A few points on Vazquez:

A) There's no reason to worry about his contract. He won't be coming to Cincinnati unless another team (probably the Yankees) picks up a huge chunk of his money or unless the Dodgers take Jr. in return. Either scenario is fine by me.

B) The Reds need to turn an OF into a frontline pitcher, all the better if it's the oft-injured Kearns than the launching pad that is Adam Dunn. Given the current evidence you can't build a team around Kearns. You can around Dunn.

C) Vazquez had a miserable half season. Though prior to the All-Star break he was one of the best pitchers in the AL. Even with his second half meltdown he wound up with a 6.82 K/9, 1.29 WHIP and .755 OPS against. So this guy falls apart and he still puts up better peripherals than any Reds pitcher, better than any current Reds starter is likely to manage in 2005 for that matter.

D) The Reds would have themselves a 28-year-old pitcher whom they'd control for the next three years. Again, no way he's coming unless someone pays for a huge chunk of him or unless Jr.'s gone. So why would you want starter who's been dominant in previous seasons for three years that should be right in his prime at a price you can afford? Seems to me that's exactly what the Reds need.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So looks as though the mega-deal is (presumably) dead. LA pulled the plug after something else fell through. I don't know what the something else was, and I'm not comfortable making a guess. Does this mean something still couldn't happen tonight/tomorrow/sometime? Nope. Just means this whole thing took another turn.

BTW, props to DanO for stepping up and stating that Kearns at 3B wasn't a fair thing to do to the team. That's exactly the right attitude to have and to act on. The Reds shouldn't be used like a junior chemistry set.

Also props to Peter Gammons for reporting weeks ago that Kearns at 3B wasn't all sunshine and lollipops. Good source work (thanks Tim, Ron, whoever) and it's exactly the kind of ahead-of-the-curve that a Reds fan like myself likes to read.

Wonder if the Yankees would do Kearns and Jr. for Vazquez and Navarro?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?