1B: Casey, Zapp
    2B: Jimenez, Freel, Lopez, Machado
    SS: Lopez, Machado, Jimenez
    3B: Randa, Freel
    LF: Dunn, Freel
    CF: Pena, Griffey
    RF: Kearns, Griffey

Thus, Jr is now a bench player.

Hmmm, now if you trade Kearns that leaves an OF of Dunn, Griffey, Pena.

If you trade Casey that means an OF of Kearns, Griffey, Pena and Dunn at 1B and not very likely to stay a Red very long.

I think I'd trade Kearns.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Randa

question: Krusty has been a big advocate of Randa's forever. Does he like this any less b/c it wasn't a trade?

just sayin
    School's out. What did you expect?

I need a resident payroll guru to bring me up to speed now.

According to ESPN.com, Randa made 3.5 mill last season, so I figure the Reds must have signed him for about this much. You can probably follow my logic from here, but where does his signing put our payroll?

I have been hoping since the season ended that DoB would go after Randa; I think this is another solid FA signing for the Reds. Randa is a good contact hitter and a good bunter who has fared well in the #2 hole, although it's unlikely he'll hit so high for Dave Miley. He plays exceptional defense, too.

With the payroll and the roster situation, I have to think another shoe is going to drop soon. The next few days or weeks should be interesting.

I, for one, am on record as really liking this signing.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    I think when healthy Kearns is a better all-around player than Dunn by a significant margin, in terms of defensive play, baseball IQ, strike zone selectivity. Dunn made huge strides offensively in 2004, but I'm still not convinced he can impact the game on both sides.
    I'm not in disagreement with you here at all. I think Kearns - if healthy - can have a DiMaggio-type impact/career. Dunn is more of a Reggie Jackson/Mike Schmidt, which isn't too shabby either.

As for the risk, this is just not the type of risk you take IMO. What's it going to do to the payroll? Vazquez, JR, Casey, Graves would basically take up about 80% of the payroll. And what happens when JR inevitably gets hurt and WMP's #'s slide when pitchers adjust to him? We've always operated under the premise that we've got this tremendous depth in the OF, and that replaceable parts are readily available. That's true to a degree, as Guillen and Encarnacion put up tremendous numbers as Reds. But the return we got on them was minimal, and we ended up going from 4 men for 2 spots to Dunn and two scrubs starting by the time August rolled around.
    That's why we need to sign a guy like Mohr who can step in and do a fairly solid job. But for the impact that Vasquez can have not just in his own spot in the rotation but overall on the pitching staff, I think you have to go with the trade if you can make it. Vasquez makes Wilson a #3 starter, which is a role he should flourish in. It allows us to coddle Claussen, Hancock, et al rather than rushing them when they might not be ready for ML starting duties. If we also signed a guy like Schoenweis, the rotation would be quite solid, IMO.

Vasquez
    Ortiz
    Wilson
    Harang
    Schoenweis/Claussen/Hudson/Hancock

much better than...

Ortiz
    Wilson
    Harang
    Hudson
    Claussen/Hancock

Vasquez is the bonefide ace (even if he has logged lots of innings) this team needs to move into the 1st division, and I think you gotta get him if you have the chance.

And Vazquez has logged a tremendous number of innings for a pretty young guy, and struggled as soon as he got into an environment outside of Montreal (ie more pressure). IMO, if you're going to take a risk, do it with a younger cheaper guy.
    Such as? I don't really think anyone else is available. Perez? Clement? Milton? They come with their own baggage.

I agree that the only way Vazquez should come back is if JR is involved, because any other way the payroll would just be strangled for the next 2-3 years.
    I hope not. But if that's how it has to be...
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    question: Krusty has been a big advocate of Randa's forever. Does he like this any less b/c it wasn't a trade?

just sayin
    :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I'm with Puffy on the WMP PA's. The improvement he's made the last few years is amazing.... Going from Pedro Cerrano, to where he is now makes him worth keeping as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Current depth chart?
    Freel can play OF, too.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Yea, who likes a 22 year old that ops about .850 and projected to about 50 home runs and 120 rbi. Wily Mo is gonna rake enough that he's gonna get on base. There are certain players with enough talent that they don't need to walk to be productive ball players, it's a VERY select group. But Wily Mo has the tools and the talent to be in that group.
    Meanwhile down south.

Code:
    PLAYER                      AVG   G  AB   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO  SB CS   SLG   OBP  E

Pena, Willy Mo,            .175  16  57   9  10  0  0  5  14   7  19   0  0  .439  .266  0
    There are certain players with enough talent that they don't need to walk to be productive ball players, it's a VERY select group.
    Problem is these players tend to boost their skillset by having the ability to have batting average drive their game. WMP has never hit above .270.

IMO he's not going to have trade value if he puts up another 2004 like year, when he's slotted to make $11.5 and $12.5 M. A similar pitcher in terms of stats, age, and fall-off is Matt Morris, who went from making $10M+ in 2004 to just signing a contract for $2.5. In today's depressed market, $11-12.5 M says that you are a legitimate #1 big game pitcher (especially on a small market team).

And if you're correct regarding his trade value, I doubt that LA is going to pay much (if anything) of his salary, given that they could also flip him to a bigger market team without being responsible for any financial considerations.
    And that's where the risk comes in. I'm not denying it's there, I'm just saying that small market teams have to take it on if they want to do big things. One bad year doesn't always make a bad pitcher.

His early usage scares me as well, but he also switched leagues in 2004, and played in New York, probably the toughest place to play in baseball. How much that had to do with his drop-off, I don't know.

This is all just speculation obviously, but I think a Kearns for Vazquez deal is a risk the Reds should take, and I say that agreeing with you 100% that Kearns is a force when healthy.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Meanwhile down south.

Code:
    PLAYER                      AVG   G  AB   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO  SB CS   SLG   OBP  E

Pena, Willy Mo,            .175  16  57   9  10  0  0  5  14   7  19   0  0  .439  .266  0

Problem is these players tend to boost their skillset by having the ability to have batting average drive their game. WMP has never hit above .270.
    You obviously don't have a good memory.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Meanwhile down south.

Code:

7 walks in 57 at bats? Not too shabby.

Yeah his average is in the crapper, but it's 57 at bats.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

He hit .260, it's not like it's unreasonable for him to hit .270. He didn't hit .220 or something. If Wily Mo stays at .250-.260 range he still is a very productive ballplayer if he increases his walks by the percentage Puffy talks about. The kid grew tremendously last year and with some more plate discipline you are talking about a real special ballplayer.

And i'm not saying you can't disagree with me, but I bet the house that Wily Mo get's 600 at bats if he is on this ballclub. There is absolutely no way you don't either trade him, show him off, or watch him become a star. Sitting on the bench will not happen.

Put me down as opposed to Kearns for Vazquez. He's way too expensive and really not all that great.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

7 walks in 57 at bats? Not too shabby.
    Makes you wonder how many are true?

You obviously don't have a good memory.
    Eh?

Turn Off Ads?