Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Someone throw me a bone here. Was the presser only to announce the Randa signing?

What were you expecting a Vasquez trade? :allovrjr:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Give me a freaking break. That's all. Shades of the Van der wal press conference last season. Wonder if Randa shovels his own snow?
    10 years ago they signed a 31 year old 3rd baseman with a lifetime .742 OPS and a slg% under .400.

It worked out well for a season.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/ne..._cin&fext=.jsp

Here's the PR

Reds sign veteran infielder Joe Randa
    D'Angelo Jimenez agrees 1-year contract, avoids arbitration

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the signing of free-agent 3B Joe Randa to a 1-year contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    Also today, the Reds agreed to terms on a 1-year contract with 2B D'Angelo Jimenez, who was eligible for arbitration coming off one of the best seasons of his career.

Randa, 35, last season for the Royals hit .287 with 8 HR and 56 RBI in 128 games. Despite missing almost a month of action after undergoing June 29 arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, Randa came back to earn the Royals' Player of the Month Award for September by hitting .316 with 2 HR and 14 RBI. On September 9 at Detroit he became the first player in American League history to produce 6 hits and 6 runs in a game.

The 10-year veteran spent the last 6 seasons in Kansas City, where he batted .289 and averaged 13 HR and 80 RBI per season. His most productive season came in 2000, when he hit .304 with 15 HR and 106 RBI in 158 games.

Randa ranks among Kansas City's all-time leaders in at bats (7th; 3,764), hits (7th; 1,084), doubles (7th; 223), RBI (7th; 533), batting average (7th; .288), extra-base hits (7th; 332), games (8th; 1,019) and runs scored (10th; 489). His 6 Opening Day starts is the second-highest total by a Royals third baseman, behind only Hall of Famer George Brett (12).

In addition to his 2 stints in Kansas City (1995-1996, 1999-2004), Randa also has played for the Pirates (1997) and Tigers (1998).

Jimenez, who is celebrating his 27th birthday today, last season for the Reds hit .270 with 12 HR, 67 RBI and 13 steals in 152 games. He established career highs in runs (76), hits (152), doubles (28), RBI and stolen bases.

So basically Randa's the equivalent of moving Jason Larue to third base.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    10 years ago they signed a 31 year old 3rd baseman with a lifetime .742 OPS and a slg% under .400.

It worked out well for a season.
    who was that?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

WMP Stats To Date with Cibao.

PEÑA, WILLY MO 21 76 10 15 0 0 6 16 7 24 0 .197 .295

You guys know what the numbers mean.

ENCARNACION, EDWIN 43 141 19 34 8 0 3 11 14 25 2 .241 .323
    Eddie plays for the same team

JIMENEZ, D'ANGELO 16 61 10 14 4 0 0 4 14 8 1 .230 .373

D'Lo plays for Licey.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    Ouch!
    I don't see it that way--I like Larue offensively. Randa's an average 3rd basemen (maybe a tick above average). He's not great, but depth (offensively) is a good thing.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

D'Lo plays for Licey.
    Great, now I'm itching my head. :
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    who was that?
    must be tony fernandez
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

who was that?
    TONY FERNANDEZ

I don't see it that way--I like Larue offensively. Randa's an average 3rd basemen (maybe a tick above average). He's not great, but depth (offensively) is a good thing.
    I just had visions of LaRue trying to learn 3rd. That's why the Ouch.

I've been critical of LaRue's defense, but offensively I like him, if we get a LaRue type offensively at 3rd it'd be good... I just didn't want to envision LaRue trying 3rd.

If JL was a good fielding 3rd baseman.

I like this deal. Yeah Randa's a scrub. And he's old. But 3rd base was a black hole last year and the other alternatives (freel, kearns) are not that attractive (freel) and completely insane (kearns). This allows the Reds to use Freel in platoon at 2nd and as super sub everywhere else. The other thing I like is having a veteran on that side of infield with Lopez. Infield defense is important, and let's face it the reds aren't particularily strong up the middle.
    School's out. What did you expect?

who was that?
    I think he means Tony Fernandez.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This pessimism is killing me...you all will be regreting saying these negative things about Randa...he is a solid 3rd baseman. You will see. I have seen him here in KC and all the fans here were MAD when the Royals let him walk.

Turn Off Ads?