Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Redread, you're really starting to scare me lately.
    Well, I don't think it's a brilliant move, but I think that realistically all we should expect this offseason is some incremental improvements.

I'm mainly glad that Kearns is getting pushed back to the OF.

Doesn't say much in DanO's confidence that Freel could man 3b that the Reds were considering converting Kearns to 3b.

I still give DanO a "C" on the offseason (unless these acquisions really outperform expectations). But I expected him to get another failing grade like last year. So I'm happy DanO is getting off his duff and doing something.

Although, if you step back at the bigger picture, I can definitely now see the arguement of folks that claim he's wasting payflex that could've been used on a longterm solution. I mean, Ronda is another 2-3 million in all likelyhood.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do you feel comfortable enough that Freel will continue to put up the offensive #'s to pencil him in every day at third after only 1 year of doing so, Raisor? I love Freel, but I'm not completely sold that he is an everyday third sacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    For what Freel costs, yeah I can live with him on defense at third.
    I want to see Freel starting at 2nd against left handers, backing up at third and as a defensive replacement in CF. But that's just me.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I don't think there will be any problem getting Freel playing time as super-sub.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Is Randa's defense going to be worth the difference in cost?
    That's a good point.. It's hard to say since "Financial terms weren't disclosed".

However, part of that cost means that Freel can supersub or perhaps Jimenez is now trade bait.

What do you think of signing Ronda just to gain the depth to trade Jimenez?
    I don't expect Jimeniz to bring that good of a return.. but given the Reds needs, perhaps a Ronda/Jimeniz swap (in essence) is ok. What do you think?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don't think there will be any problem getting Freel playing time as super-sub.
    If he gets less than 450 at bats I'll be shocked.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Do you feel comfortable enough that Freel will continue to put up the offensive #'s to pencil him in every day at third after only 1 year of doing so, Raisor? I love Freel, bit I'm not completely sold that he is an everyday third sacker.

Considering that I don't feel the team is contending anyway, and that Encaracion is on deck for 2006, then yeah, I feel comfortable with Freel. Much less risky then bringing in a 35 year old for what's going to be a multi-million dollar contract.

Randa is the kind of guy you bring in if you're making a run and you need that ONE last piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    If he gets less than 450 at bats I'll be shocked.

Me too. His versatility is his biggest asset.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Maybe Jimeniz is on his way elsewhere. Just because he was offered arb doesn't mean he'll be on the team on opening day.
    Jimenez.

Sorry, I'm picky.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Getting a head start on two New Year's Resolutions? First, you have been so positive it's scary. Second, you spelled Jimenez right :MandJ:

That is my game plan with Jimenez, to get him signed to a nice $ figure, they did that. Now, if someone is looking for a second baseman with a modest contract, Jimenez is signed, sealed, and tradeable.
    Actually he did not spell it correct, but he did come closer. All we need him to do now is change that "iz" to "ez" and he will finally have it correct.

PS - of course Redread then proceeded to spell Randa as Ronda, but I think we should only work on one name at a time!!! :allovrjr:
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Is Randa's defense going to be worth the difference in cost?
    Look at the cost of finding replacements for all the other things Freel can do as a super-sub/platoon player.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Me too. His versatility is his biggest asset.

Personally, I think his biggest asset is that .375 OBP he put up last year.

Considering that I don't feel the team is contending anyway, and that Encaracion is on deck for 2006, then yeah, I feel comfortable with Freel. Much less risky then bringing in a 35 year old for what's going to be a multi-million dollar contract.

Randa is the kind of guy you bring in if you're making a run and you need that ONE last piece.
    Exactly what I expected you to reply and makes perfect sense. Next question. Do you think EE is a can't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Do you think EE is a can't miss.

No such animal.

Personally, I think his biggest asset is that .375 OBP he put up last year.

Yep, it's big. But he can spell several positions, and fill in for injuries too.

He's much more valuable as a supersub than a regular thirdbaseman, especially since he's pretty mediocre on defense there.

Turn Off Ads?