Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

12/21/2004 3:53 PM ET
    Reds sign Randa to one-year deal
    Ends experimental move of Kearns to third base
    By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

Joe Randa gives the Reds a proven bat and glove at third base for 2005. (Ed Zurga/AP)

Joe Randa is in, and Austin Kearns is back in the outfield.
    On Tuesday, the Cincinnati Reds signed Randa, a free agent third baseman, to a one-year contract, effectively ending the Kearns' experiment to move to third.

The Reds also announced the signing of second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez to a one-year deal on his 27th birthday, thus avoiding arbitration.

Kearns had been working out in Lexington, Ky., and following a plan established by the Reds in an attempt to make the conversion from right field to third. But the addition of Randa puts an end to that, though it wasn't for lack of effort on Kearns' part.

Complete coverage >
    "It was evident [Kearns] had made progress," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said Tuesday. "But from our perspective, the pace of the progress he was making left some question in our minds as to whether or not he'd be ready to handle this challenge on Opening Day of the 2005 season.

"Collectively, we felt that it wasn't fair, not only for Austin, but his teammates to have that uncertainty going into the season," O'Brien said. "We walked through that with Austin. He's still a very integral and important part of our ballclub. He understood it and was supportive of us bringing on board Joe Randa."

Randa wasn't aware of the opening on the Reds. He simply wanted to stay in the Midwest.

"When the season was over, with the debacle I went through in Kansas City, I knew I wasn't going to be coming back," Randa said. "You look on the map and look at the opportunities. Things may present themselves."

The "debacle" in Kansas City wasn't just losing Carlos Beltran.

"Injuries, and one thing led to another," Randa said. "It was a situation where we went from being picked to win the division, with the additions that we made in Spring Training, to having the injuries. One led to another, and we just fell apart. It was so frustrating for me.

"In the latter part of your career, you want to win," he said. "Things were going in a different direction [in Kansas City]."

Randa is familiar with the Reds organization, having played against them often in Spring Training.

"This seemed to be the best fit for me and my personality," he said.

Having Kearns back in the right, does create a logjam in the outfield.

"Having four quality outfielders is not a problem," O'Brien said.

Randa, 35, batted .287 with eight home runs and 56 RBIs in 128 games for the Kansas City Royals. He missed one month after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee but came back to earn honors as the Royals Player of the Month in September. He hit .316 in the final month with two homers and 14 RBIs.

"First, he's a professional hitter, he's a professional in terms of his defensive play," O'Brien said. "He knows how to play the game. For us, I think he'll be a very valuable addition to our lineup. We needed a professional hitter who is a contact hitter and knows how to handle the bat. We hope that makes our offense more efficient and hopefully more productive."

On Sept. 9 at Detroit, Randa became the first player in American League history to record six hits and six runs in one game.

A 10-year veteran, he has spent the last six seasons in Kansas City, averaging 13 homers and 80 RBIs. In 2000, he had his best season, batting .304 with 15 homers and 106 RBIs in 158 games.

"I have a chance to play with two of the nicest first basemen in the league in Mike Sweeney and Sean Casey," Randa said.

The Reds' infield for 2005 will have Casey at first, Jimenez at second, either Felipe Lopez or Anderson Machado at short, and Randa at third. Ray Olmedo, a candidate for the shortstop job, had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on Nov. 9.

Jimenez hit .270 with 12 homers and 67 RBIs in 152 games last season. The infielder established career highs in runs (76), hits (152), doubles (28), RBIs and stolen bases (13).

Jimenez was one of four Reds who were arbitration eligible. Kearns, outfielder Adam Dunn and newly acquired pitcher Ramon Ortiz also are arbitration eligible.

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was n
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Yep, it's big. But he can spell several positions, and fill in for injuries too.

He's much more valuable as a supersub than a regular thirdbaseman, especially since he's pretty mediocre on defense there.
    I'm with you there, RFS62.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Considering that I don't feel the team is contending anyway, and that Encaracion is on deck for 2006, then yeah, I feel comfortable with Freel. Much less risky then bringing in a 35 year old for what's going to be a multi-million dollar contract.

Randa is the kind of guy you bring in if you're making a run and you need that ONE last piece.
    It seems that DanO doesn't agree with you as far as contention goes. Not to mention the speculation that his acquisition may knock some other dominoes over, which may result in some long-term solutions. I think we need to see if some other deals result as a part of this signing, then we can evaluate our ability to contend this year. Signing vets to improve prior year weaknesses smells of a GM who thinks he can make some noise yet this year. Agree or disagree, but that seems to be DO's mindset.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

No such animal.
    Not even Adam Dunn?

No, seriously, how confident do you feel in EE being a real good major leaguer?

With the exception of Dustin Mosley, none of these acquisitions cost us any young talent.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Personally, I think his biggest asset is that .375 OBP he put up last year.
    I agree with that. I'm skeptical he can repeat it though. I hope he does though.

I agree with your main assumption.. If that OBP is repeatable, they need to find a starting job for him somewhere. I'd prefer 2b though over 3b.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    With the exception of Dustin Mosley, none of these acquisitions cost us any young talent.
    Good point, unless it cuts into the draft budget.

I would feel real comfortable with Freel as the everyday 2B, but I really agree with RFS62 in that he seems to have the most value as a super sub.

"First, he's a professional hitter, he's a professional in terms of his defensive play," O'Brien said. "He knows how to play the game. For us, I think he'll be a very valuable addition to our lineup. We needed a professional hitter who is a contact hitter and knows how to handle the bat. We hope that makes our offense more efficient and hopefully more productive."
    Sounds eeriely similiar to what Bowden said about Castilla :MandJ:
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Man Pills

I'm just excited knowing that none of the Reds' infielders will OB below .330 this season. Except Lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm just excited knowing that none of the Reds' infielders will OB below .330 this season. Except Lopez.

Possible Platoon

.288 .383 .423 .806 Machedo VS RH
    .292 .333 .523 .856 Lopez VS LH

I really really HATE the term "professional hitter".
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Randa today at GABP

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Same connotation as "Sanitation Engineer" or "She's REALLY funny"

me too. even Castro was "professional hitter". He was getting paid.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?