Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa signed

Agreed M2...

Some other notes on Vasquez:

His lowest innings pitched total was in 1999, when he pitched in 154.2. Last year he pitched 198, and in most years previous he's pitched in over 200.
    He struck out 241 batters in '03.
    Talk about Ramon Ortiz having "stuff"...Well this guy's got STUFF and I'd be more than fine with losing Kearns to get him.

If this is even a remote possibility, I'd be ecstatic, but as it looks now, I don't see it. Especially now that the Johnson deal is dead.

It was a nice thought.

Now do we move on to a Kearns/Edwin Jackson deal?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

M2, think Jr and Graves
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Apologies if this has been reported already here.

AP says Randa's contract is for $2.15M.

Really Rosie? That's better than people thought in here!

Third Base Comps- 2004:

Joe Randa

.263 EQA
    -3.7 Runs Above Position
    14.1 Runs Above Replacement

Ryan Freel

.276 EQA
    5.9 Runs Above Position
    24.8 Runs Above Replacement

2.15 Million Dollars for a 36-year Third Baseman who was negative versus his positional averages and less valuable offensively than Ryan Freel. Torn cartilege in his knee landed Randa on the DL last year.

"But it's only one year."

2.15 Million Dollars for a net gain of nada.

But he's old, so I guess that's something.

<Edit to correct neo-dyslexic EQA digit switcheroo I did on Randa>
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

That's 2.15 million NOT going towards Odalis Perez now.

Hey, I LIKE the fact that the team seems to be spending money. I'm very disapointed on HOW they're spending the money.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Third Base Comps- 2004:

Joe Randa

.236 EQA
    -3.7 Runs Above Position

Ryan Freel

.276 EQA
    5.9 Runs Above Position

2.15 Million Dollars for a 36-year Third Baseman who was negative versus his positional averages and less valuable offensively than Ryan Freel. Torn cartilege in his knee landed Randa on the DL last year.

He's better than Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Really Rosie? That's better than people thought in here!
    Really CQ! Unless AP is wrong, of course, but I think they're right.

I like Freel as a sub. Freel at 3rd, even on a 'frequent basis', was going to hurt someone.

To me, this sounds like a good deal for the Reds. And it appears to give the Reds further options for "Plan B or Plan C".

I'm still waiting to see what else is in store.

tom browning

Randa is ok. But I hope this seriously isnt our new starting 3b.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom browning
    Randa is ok. But I hope this seriously isnt our new starting 3b.
    He's keeping the seat warm until Edwin Encarnacion is ready

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Third Base Comps- 2004:

Joe Randa

.236 EQA
    -3.7 Runs Above Position

Ryan Freel

.276 EQA
    5.9 Runs Above Position

Unless I'm blind, Randa's EqA was .263, not .236.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...s/eqa2004.html

Given his pretty good D (he was fourth in the majors in Zone Rating and seventh in Range Factor) and a fairly weak set of internal options, Randa looks a lot better than the other overpriced guys on the open market (Batista, Castilla).

In the end, I'm not singing praises for O'Brien (I feel the same <shrug> for the Mercker/Donnelly/Weathers that I do here), but the situation at third needed to be addressed.

Steel, Raisor,

I agree with both of you that Randa does nothing for the offense, less than nothing in fact. I'd also be upset about what the price tag isn't going toward except I think the ship sailed on the Reds going after a better class of starting pitcher when the Ortiz deal went down. The only way a pitcher we can get jazzed about is going to happen is in some sort of payroll-neutral fashion.

IMO the one thing Randa adds is sanity. The Reds have at least decided to play a 3B at 3B and deal with the crowded OF situation head on. Randa also picks the ball up and throw it to the right place on a consistent basis. That's got a certain value for these Reds. A two-year contract would have bugged me a lot, but that's not an issue here.

The Reds can reshuffle the deck next year I suppose, or at least try to reshuffle it. This is a maintenance move on the design that got solidified last week. I don't like the design, but I'm trying to give them some slack on the maintenance.

Actually the scariest offensive part of this move is that it could push Felipe Lopez or Andy Machado into the #2 slot.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man
    Unless I'm blind, Randa's EqA was .263, not .236. BIG difference.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...s/eqa2004.html

Given his pretty good D (top six in the majors in Range Factor & Zone Rating ). With the internal options extremely weak and the open market is a free-for-all.

It is D-Man. Randa's average. Freel is above average and will hit his way into the lineup.

The important thing for me is that it removes crap like Castro (and hopefully Machado) from the 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Actually the scariest offensive part of this move is that it could push Felipe Lopez or Andy Machado into the #2 slot.

Something I mentioned earlier in the thread, and yeah, I agree.

It won't happen, since Mr "Hey, I'll put Juan Castro in the #2 slot" Miley is the manager, but with him coming off injury, I'd love to see Austin hit in the two slot, if Freel is on the bench.

Good things would happen.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?