Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Randa signed

Re: Randa

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    If Pena and Kearns are on the roster this year, then they BOTH have to get 600+ PA's. Have. To.
    I agree about Kearns but right now I figure he's slotted in RF everyday.

I'm still not sure I would want to give WMP 600 ab's this year. The dude had a .289 OBP against righties. I think there are time when he should sit. I'd give him 450-500 and more if he improves.

Now, Griffey can't play center anymore, even though he might, and WMP no great shakes out there either. So who's our late inning defensive replacement in center. Right now my thinking is Freel.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

If this results in DanO flipping Kearns for Javy Vazquez (and I assume a whole bunch of money to help pay for Vazquez), then it gets a big thumbs up from me.

Otherwise it's nice to see this whole Kearns to 3B odyssey put to rest. Now about finding room on the bench for Jr. if none of the other OFs leave in a trade ...
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Funny, I thought Aaron Boone would have been a better choice. He was available.

Who would you all rather have at 3B for next couple years: Randa or Boone?
    boone. but I doubt he wants to come back here. dad getting fired and all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I take it this ends the Kearns to 3B experiment.
    He could be just a 1b/3b backup.

Could also mean the team will try to trade DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Funny, I thought Aaron Boone would have been a better choice. He was available.

Who would you all rather have at 3B for next couple years: Randa or Boone?

"couple of years?"

Neither, I'll also venture that Boone would not have signed a 1 year deal and that Randa didn't get as much as Boone will get this year.

If Randa tanks then there is Freel and Lopez to slide in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I agree about Kearns but right now I figure he's slotted in RF everyday.

I'm still not sure I would want to give WMP 600 ab's this year. The dude had a .289 OBP against righties. I think there are time when he should sit. I'd give him 450-500 and more if he improves.

l.

Since Pena HAS to be on the roster (unless traded) he HAS to get PA's. He's averaged just 270 TPA the last two years, and there's no way he's going to develop into anything that way.

I'm still in favor of trading him..

Since Pena HAS to be on the roster (unless traded) he HAS to get PA's. He's averaged just 270 TPA the last two years, and there's no way he's going to develop into anything that way.

Trading him would be the ideal thing--but he alone won't fetch real pitching help.

And I'm not sure he's going to "develop" into anything more than what we saw last year--so a platoon wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm hoping these are signals that DanO knows that WMP isn't going to be all that great--and can flip him for something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It does look like the Reds are still angling to trade an outfielder, especially with talk of signing Dustan Mohr. I'd rather trade WMP than AK, although trading AK may be easiest and make most sense allowing Reds to move griffey to RF.

KEEP KEARNS!!!!!!!!!!! I think he will bounce back big time in 2005. Plus Griffey will spend half of the season on the DL.

I don't trust DanO's judgment much.

RedTeamGo!

I like this signing...it is a vast improvement over Brandon Larson, and everyone has a boner for Freel, but he hasnt succeeded as a starter at one position for an entire year yet...he could just as easily flop as do well. Joe Randa is a proven veteran (and one of my favorites...he is always smiling).

There is another possibility here. Maybe Jr.'s rehab isn't going well and the Reds are planning for life without him.

In a similar vein, Kearns had an orthopedist visit last week. Maybe that turned up something which gave the team cause for alarm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I just found the site today, great to be a part of it. Now to my post. If you look at the roster as its stands, and the fact that no position players (with the possible exception of Zapp) in the minors are major league ready, they have 23 players (12 pitchers, 8 starters, 3 on the bench). They have to sign somebody. Randa is a nice bridge to Encarnacion, who is not that far away, IMO. Speculation about a trade I think is valid, but with all the injury problems we've had in the past few years, it is really a good idea to ship off capable outfielders. If we could get Vazquez or someone of his ilk? Then I say do it. If not, AK is probably someone we better hold on to.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    There is another possibility here. Maybe Jr.'s rehab isn't going well and the Reds are planning for life without him.

In a similar vein, Kearns had an orthopedist visit last week. Maybe that turned up something which gave the team cause for alarm.
    That certainly would be a double edged sword, Jr. that is.

It would be very sad if he was forced to retire because of the injuries. I have grown to respect Jr. in his handling of being the reluctant superstar and in handling the injuries.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Every thinks if something goes down it is AK but what if it turns out to be Dunn. Maybe Dunn's Agent told the Reds he would not sign a long term deal and is asking for the moon in Arb.

Quote Originally Posted by writerdan33
    there's a point during the spring where they could cut Randa loose without taking the full hit on his salary.

Possibility?
    I think that rule is only for arbitration contracts. The free agent contracts are rock solid.. Otherwise, Albert Belle, etc would've been cut long before their deals were up.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?