Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

The braves also traded away Rob Bell and Bruce Chen.

They also know when to fold them.

CR's K rates are much better as a reliever, and throws MUCH harder in that role to. A well defined role for him should allow him to flourish. I think he was waaaaay overated as a starter, but he couldn't seem to get that through his head.

excellent trade for the reds, and a good aquisition for the Braves if Chris accepts his role in the pen.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by paulrichjr
    Am I on the right board? The Cin-cinn-ati Reds did something that we all like? This cannot be.
    no, I'd have kept CR and let him take the closer job, but the Reds were committed to Graves. They got more than I thought they'd get. I'm resigned to accept it

Not sure yet if it's a good trade, but it isn't a bad one.

Wow, the Braves fans are not happy.

Question: Is this a better trade than Reitsma for Cruz straight up?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Braves board reaction-

They aren't liking this trade at all in Atlanta.

yuck, i hate this trade for the Reds

and I hate the Braves even more now

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    I think it is, yes. Cruz may have a great arm, but he's not a sure thing, although he probably has a higher upside than Reitsma.

One relies too heavily on his change while ignoring a very good fastball 94+

The other has an electric fastball, yet is inconsistent at the ML level.

both could use some maturing pitchingwise, and both needed a change of scenery. Gully's specialty has always been added ooomph. Cruz needs added control. i don't think he was a good fit for Gullet.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Originally posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    This trade sucks!

Well, I do agree with you that it sucks we were basically forced to trade Reitsma.
    I agree that it sucks that we can only keep players 3-4 years.

But considering the circumstances, we did ok.. Now it might turn out that
    we traded for 2 future dempsters again (that trade seemed like a reasonable
    risk at the time).

This Bubba guy seems to be a project guy, maybe he'll make it, maybe he won't

At least we got a cheap lefty reliever for a few seasons in Bong, although I agree
    he may not be as good as Reitsma. But at least we got something we can
    use now. (As opposed to two A ball pitchers who are sheer long shots).

Really, I have to give DanO credit for getting more out of Reitsma than Kullman
    got for Williamson. Does anyone disagree with that?

But it looks like we are also swapping Norton for Todd Jones in the pen.. not
    sure that's much of an upgrade.. IMO, if Jones and possibly Van Poopel are
    in your pen, you are not loaded with RH relievers. So I disagree that this
    was a "Deal from surplus" trade. I think DanO knew Reitsma wouldn't fit
    in the budget next year, and worked a deal for him now. That is better than
    letting a team claim him off waivers for nothing in August.. And it's better
    than giving him away for crap like the Williamson trade. So at least
    we're moving in the right direction.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The fact that there are Braves fans out there who are ticked will help me sleep a little better tonight.

There's only one or two pro sports teams I really despise. The Braves are one, the New York Giants are the other.

SF, what about the Yankees?

nm...i'll answer my own question.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Redread, I don't see why anyone would think we were "forced" to trade Reitsma (well, other than you and a few others who seem to really enjoy the ol' conspiracy theories).

Of course money enters the equation, as it should in any trade you make, but I think we got the good side of the deal from a baseball perspective, too.

You heard it here first. Not sure if my theory was right...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=2

i like this trade. reitsma has good STUFF but i don't think he's a good PITCHER. he makes way to many mistakes that end being home runs. IMO if he were to start he'd be a lock to give up 35+ homers and as a reliever i sure don't want to see any homers either.

i've watched bong picth a few times, i think he can be really good. and he's a lefty.

keeping reitsma was a lose lose situation. he does well, he prices himself out of cincy (at least as a set up guy), he does poorly, he loses all his value. i think it was a good time for dano to cash his chips in on this one.

Didn't AD hit a game winning HR off Bong last year?

Turn Off Ads?