Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar
    O'Brien:

"The acquisition of these two young starters is consistent with our organizational plan," O'Brien said. "From the outset, we have talked about adding depth to our starting rotation, both at the Major League level and throughout the system. Potentially, we have done that."

Reds Press Release:

SARASOTA -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the acquisition of LHP Jung Keun Bong (pronounced june(g) kewn bong) and RHP Bubba Nelson from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for RHP Chris Reitsma.
    "The acquisition of these two young starters is consistent with our organizational plan," O'Brien said. "From the outset, we have talked about adding depth to our starting rotation, both at the Major League level and throughout the system. Potentially, we have done that."

Bong will report to the club's Major League spring training camp, while Nelson will report to the minor league camp. Bong will wear uniform number 34.

Bong, 23, made 45 appearances for Atlanta over the last 2 seasons. Since he was signed as an undrafted free agent in November 1997, the southpaw has been one of the most highly touted prospects in the Braves' organization.

This spring he made 5 relief appearances for the Braves and went 1-0 with a 2.89 ERA (9.1ip, 10h, 2bb, 4k). In his minor league career, the native of Seoul, South Korea is 38-33 with a 3.32 ERA and 3 saves in 103 starts and 19 relief appearances.

Nelson, 22, was selected by the Braves in the second round of the June 2000 first-year player draft. In just 4 professional seasons he is 34-26 with a 3.03 ERA and 3 complete games in 76 starts and 21 relief appearances. Last season Nelson ranked sixth in the Class AA Southern League with a 3.18 ERA, and in 2002 he led all minor league starting pitchers with a 1.66 ERA.

Nelson enters the 2004 season rated by Baseball America as the third-best prospect in the Braves organization and by USA Today Sports Weekly as one of the organization's top prospects. In 5 relief appearances for Atlanta this spring he went 1-1 with a 5.40 ERA (6.2ip, 7h, 6bb, 1k).

Reitsma, 26, pitched for the Reds during all or parts of the last 3 seasons and went 22-32 with a 4.52 ERA and 12 saves in 53 starts and 72 relief appearances. He originally was acquired from the Red Sox on August 31, 2000, along with LHP John Curtice, in exchange for OF Dante Bichette.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ...and there was no CASH! involved!

The regime change is here, ladies and gents. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Now let's just get rid of Haynes and Wilson.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Great trade for the Braves. I think Chris will be extremely valuable to them in the pen and as
    a swingman.

Might be a win for us too.. Considering that Reitsma was probably not going to be brought back
    next year under any circumstances, DanO had to move him. Seems like a reasonable risk,
    based on what I have read here, although naturally our side has much more risk than the Braves
    side.

Of course, Chris being gone from the pen is going to make this season a lot tougher to endure.

It would really be a win if we could take Reitsma's 900k or so and dump it into the draft, but
    I imagine it will be hard to get it out of Carl's pocket.

I'm happy for Chris. This will be an excellent opportunity for him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Originally posted by Crash Davis
    SARASOTA -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the acquisition of LHP Jung Keun Bong (pronounced june(g) kewn bong) and…
    Urgent message for Joe Nuxhall! Urgent message for one Joe Nuxhall! Please call your office…
    Makes all the routine posts.

This trade sucks!

Reitsma is traded so DanO can clear the way for Todd Jones?

If Reitsma is ever handed a steady bully job then he can be as good or better than Hoffman imo.

Atlanta does not give up on 3 arms in 2 days w/o knowing if they are making out on the top end! When was the last time they traded away a legit pitching prospect, and he panned out?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    I wonder if Bong's packed yet?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Originally posted by WVRed
    Braves board reaction-
    No love there for this deal. Posters there are

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Originally posted by Redsland
    Urgent message for Joe Nuxhall! Urgent message for one Joe Nuxhall! Please call your office…

Originally posted by WVRed
    Braves board reaction-

http://mb3.theinsiders.com/fatlantab...cID=7538.topic
    It's kinda nice being on the positive side of the fence for once.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

On a lighter note of interest to the Redszone Ladies... with this trade the "babe" quotient just went down on this team, sigh...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Interesting reaction. Of course, both message boards favor prospects and "could" s over "are"s. But the Braves fans don't seem too happy, do they?

Also, think of it this way. The Braves fans are used to having good pitching and pitching prospects for most of the past 25 years, so they regard their own guys as good and other teams' guys as suspect.

We, being Reds fans, and used to having mediocre/iffy/terrible pitching and pitching prospects for most of the past 25 years, are going to view things in reverse. Our guys are suspects and other teams' guys are good.

Although comparing Reitsma to Kevin Gryboski? Harsh, indeed. Plus, it takes until the second page for someone to mention the changeup. You gotta see it, then you believe. Anyway, they are right in some ways- Chris doesn't strike very many out and he's not a consistent starter. Although he hasn't hit his age peak yet.

This trade sucks!

Atlanta does not give up on 3 arms in 2 days w/o knowing if they are making out on the top end! When was the last time they traded away a legit pitching prospect, and he panned out?
    Well, they dealt Jason Schmidt to the Pirates several years ago and he turned out pretty well. Odalis Perez has had a fair amount of success as well, and I still stand firm in my belief that Jason Marquis will have a Schmidt-like path to success. The Braves don't usually trade pitching, they hold on to it, but when they have traded it I say it's worked out for the other side a fair amount when you consider how big a risk young pitchers are to begin with.

Time is the Revelator.
    Originally posted by Bigg Red Smokey
    [B]This trade sucks!

Reitsma is traded so DanO can clear the way for Todd Jones?
    ... No. :MandJ:

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    You too can soon have Bong.
    Boss is swapping out the Reitsma smiley for :bong:

Turn Off Ads?