Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

Re: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

Just arrived back in Maryland from a 4 game mini-vacation at ST, so I don't know if this is old news, but the Reds immediately threw Nelson in their Saturday AAA intrasquad game. He was the least impressive of any pitcher (IMHO) in that game. He didn't blow many hitters away and several hit him hard, including Reggie and a HR by a lefty-hitting first baseman, #35 -- I can't recall his name just now.

A lot of management was there to watch. I do not know their faces for certain, but O'Brein (for sure), one in street clothes who I think was Allen, and the oldest "civilian" with them who resembled Linder (the only one in long sleeved [black] shirt), and of course the uniformed Naerhing and Burleson. Miley was evidently with the varsity prepping for the Indians game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sheehan from BP mentioned the trade in his column today.

One Reds fan I know was pretty ticked about his team's swap of last year's closer for Jung Bong and Bubba Nelson, but the deal makes sense beyond money concerns. With the commitment to Danny Graves as a closer and the presence of Ryan Wagner and John Riedling, you could argue that Reitsma was only the Reds' fourth-best right-handed reliever. Bong is of roughly the same quality, left-handed, and will be a lot less expensive over the next two years. I would have used Reitsma as a starter and given Jimmy Haynes bad directions to the airport when camp broke, but that doesn't seem to be an option in Cincinnati right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East
    Just arrived back in Maryland from a 4 game mini-vacation at ST, so I don't know if this is old news, but the Reds immediately threw Nelson in their Saturday AAA intrasquad game. He was the least impressive of any pitcher (IMHO) in that game. He didn't blow many hitters away and several hit him hard.

thanks for the report. in a short major league camp appearance, Nelson also put up poor numbers. I suspect that had he looked closer than a year away, he'd still be a Brave

the Braves never overpay for relievers

"A lot of guys are very open talking about their own players and other teams' players, We're not like that. I never appreciate how open people are to feed ESPN or Baseball America. People learn about your organization from the outside. Peter Gammons doesn't call me--they know better. I'm not on the call sheet. I know that information isn't off the record. It's being traded and bartered all around."

--Brian Sabean, Giants general manager (Santa Rosa Press Democrat)

tr, Gammons does what he does. If you actually understand why he can't name his sources all the time (and he uses plenty of named sources too), then I don't see why you'd knock him for it. It's what he has to do to get the unvarnished opinion of baseball professionals into print. Beats the hell out of the mealy-mouthed nothing statements you get when these guys get in front of a microphone.

I don't agree with a lot of what Gammons' scouts/execs say, then again I think a lot of teams could do as well if they hired the stock-picking chicken to find talent. For instance, I think Nelson's a damn-fine return for Reitsma. Yet I don't see the point at chucking mud at Gammons because he talked to some people and relayed what they said. That's his job, telling us what's going on behind the scenes and there's no one better at it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Philadelphia as a potential trading partner for Reitsma would have been interesting. I'm a big fan of Ryan Madson, who's ready now. Nelson's got a higher ceiling though and I'm thinking it'll take a month of real games before the Phillies wake up to what their areas of deficit are.
    Which makes them a perfect home for Graves at the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Which makes them a perfect home for Graves at the trade deadline.
    Now you're talking my language.

Graves for Madson at the deadline?

Now that would be a coup.

These "quantity/middling" grabs of DanO's have a familiar ring of mediocrity to them.

Don't give up low priced mediocrity (Reitsma, Freel), for lower-priced mediocrity (Bong, Nelson, Tankersley).

Give up whatever the hell you have to give up for quality, even if it's only one trade every six months or so.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

These "quantity/middling" grabs of DanO's have a familiar ring of mediocrity to them.

Don't give up low priced mediocrity (Reitsma, Freel), for lower-priced mediocrity (Bong, Nelson, Tankersley).

Give up whatever the hell you have to give up for quality, even if it's only one trade every six months or so.
    I'd think Bubba would be right up your alley. He's certainly a Claussen-class pitcher.

"I'd think Bubba would be right up your alley. He's certainly a Claussen-class pitcher."

Nelson IS the most intriguing of the three, but he's also the youngest, and therefore, the most difficult to project.

I'm in a holding pattern on Nelson. But he's clearly not the performer that Claussen's been (because, of course, he's much younger than Claussen--that's obviously not a criticism of Nelson).

Bong and Tankersley?

pee-yoo.

(Can we get Kullman back?)
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

What's "wrong" with Bong?

7.7 A Ball K rate, 7.9 AA, do his 74 innings in AAA and MLB totally trump his lower ML numbers?

Young LH's are a iffy proposition that's for sure, they take longer to find their command that's for sure but I wouldn't kick him out to the curb so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Nelson's got a higher ceiling though and I'm thinking it'll take a month of real games before the Phillies wake up to what their areas of deficit are.
    You think they would have wanted Reitsma to be player-manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

Nelson was the highest rated pitcher in a Top 5 Farm system. BA has him rated much higher than Madson, who continues to fall lower in their ratings.

What is with Rotoworld? They have Nelson listed as the Braves 6th best prospect and have 6 of the Braves prospects in the top 100 prospects but they don't list Nelson they list the 7th best Braves prospect Dan Meyer at #62 and its 8th best prospect Adam LaRoche at #39. I just don't get it.

As for traded pitcher Chris Reitsma, major-league scouts continue to shake their heads over why the Reds would trade him for what they did — 23-year-old Bong and 22 year-old Bubba Nelson.

Said one scout, "We wanted him, and I know we offered better than what they got, although Nelson has a very good arm." Industry sources say in addition to the Philadelphia Phillies, the Minnesota Twins, Cleveland Indians and Seattle Mariners also had interest.

During the winter meetings December in New Orleans, one Reds official said, "The No. 1 name that kept coming up from other teams was Chris Reitsma."
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?