Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

550 K, 210 BB, 610 IP
    Now those are some decent ratios.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ESPN says about Bong. Sounds like Reitsma.

2003 Season
    Primarily a starter during his five seasons in the minors, Jung Bong worked in relief throughout his rookie season. He was effective early in the year but then struggled, posting a 9.18 ERA after July 1. Pitching, Defense & HittingA native of South Korea, Bong throws one of the best changeups in the National League. His fastball sits at 91-92 MPH and touches 94 MPH on occasion, but he does not always have command of the pitch. Though he has shown solid improvement with his curveball over the past three seasons, he lacks the confidence to throw it often enough to keep hitters off-balance. The Braves have worked with Bong on becoming more aggressive on the mound. An excellent athlete who was considered a premier hitting prospect prior to signing, Bong fields his position very well and holds runners effectively.

2004 Outlook
    While he is expected to remain in the Atlanta bullpen this year, Bong could be considered for a job in the rotation when he starts using all three of his pitches more consistently. He also could get more seasoning in Triple-A.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Time is the Revelator.
    Even more of a reasoning why I love this trade.

Bong is younger than Reitsma, and could probally put up the same numbers Reitsma will. Plus, Bong is a lefty and more of a starter than Reitsma (has more than 2 pitches). Then, Bubba Nelson, who I love in OOTP () has the talent to be a very solid SP soon. I think DanO did a good job on this.

Reitsma was another typical "fan favorite" youngster, so it's gonna upset some people, but if you look at facts. We got return value, plus more in this trade.. IMO.

So.... is this the Reds first Asian Player?

If so let him know about China Gourmet in Hyde Park... and that Thai place next to the Irish bar.

And don't let him eat Chinese in Milford....... he'll demand a trade for sure.

Spring Numbers - 2004

Bong 1- 0 2.89 .286 BAA 5G 9.1 IP 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

Nelson 1- 1 5.40 .292 BAA 5 G 6.2 IP 7 H 5 R 4 ER 6 BB 1 K

It looks like Nelson has some control issues.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think back in the late 1970's or early 1980's the Reds signed 2 Japanese players that didn't make it to the major leagues. I don't know how far they got, but I do remember it being news that Japanese players were signed.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Bruce Chen was asian, and i believe Danny Graves is half Vietnamese. i think.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

On Baseball America this was said about Nelson

Jason from Charlotte asks:
    What is the Braves feeling on Bubba Nelson? He seems like a perfect candidate to fill the Braves #5 spot in the rotation. I realize that the Braves like to start their young pitchers in the pen to give them some experience, but he fairer pretty well in Double A this season.

A: Bill Ballew: Nelson is a stud. I think he has a much better shot at the fifth starter's role for 2004 than Wainwright. The Braves sent him to Richmond at the end of the 2003 season as a reliever in order to prepare him for a possible callup to Atlanta. He'll be back in the starting rotation in 2004, either in Richmond or, possibly, Atlanta.

Originally posted by LvJ
    Even more of a reasoning why I love this trade.

Bong is younger than Reitsma, and could probally put up the same numbers Reitsma will. Plus, Bong is a lefty and more of a starter than Reitsma (has more than 2 pitches). Then, Bubba Nelson, who I love in OOTP () has the talent to be a very solid SP soon. I think DanO did a good job on this.

Reitsma was another typical "fan favorite" youngster, so it's gonna upset some people, but if you look at facts. We got return value, plus more in this trade.. IMO.
    we're up an arm. One will wash out, so we'll probably be even. But we save money in preparation for the two year plan. In two years, Reitsma was too expensive

JimBo, OTOH, would have kept Reitsma until he was too expensive, then flipped him for a high level OFer that we didn't need and an 18YO pitcher about to hit the operating table.

Here, painful as it is for me to see, we get what we need.

Chen was born in Panama.

Time is the Revelator.
    Originally posted by New Fever
    On Baseball America this was said about Nelson

Jason from Charlotte asks:
    What is the Braves feeling on Bubba Nelson? He seems like a perfect candidate to fill the Braves #5 spot in the rotation. I realize that the Braves like to start their young pitchers in the pen to give them some experience, but he fairer pretty well in Double A this season.

A: Bill Ballew: Nelson is a stud. I think he has a much better shot at the fifth starter's role for 2004 than Wainwright. The Braves sent him to Richmond at the end of the 2003 season as a reliever in order to prepare him for a possible callup to Atlanta. He'll be back in the starting rotation in 2004, either in Richmond or, possibly, Atlanta.
    That's exciting.

Though, it does look like he has some control issues he needs to work on.

Bong sounds good, although I'm always leery of any pitching that ATL is willing to give up. Anyway, good to hear that Bong projects to be a potential rotation guy. What's the word on his skill with the stick (ESPN says he was considered a premier hitting prospect as well )?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Bong is the key to the deal, I have no key what Ballew is talking about Neilson looks very Mosley like.

So.... is this the Reds first Asian Player?
    Wasn't Mike Lum the first one?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    They're probably cheaper too...we all know how important that is

I guess we'll see how good the trade is as time goes on....

Turn Off Ads?